Tour de France Fantasy Games

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by port_leschenault, Jun 20, 2012.

1. BJWNFI

BJWNFI Member

Just took a look at the TDF league - good to see that Gabriel Gate is amongst us! Looking forward to some 'insider' receipes for the 'Taste Le Tour'segment.

2. frostylane

frostylane New Member

Hi Port or anyone else who can help,

Question 1. - do prices change during the course of the tour?

Question 2. - what is the strategy - fill your team with riders that do well on the flat in the first stages, then in the mountains load your team up with climbers - while constantly trading into your team guys wearing the yellow and green jersey?

Question 3. - midprices or GnR?

Thanks

3. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Guest

1. No, prices stay the same throughout.
    2. Since there are no GC points anymore, that looks like the (quite straightforward) strategy; just mind the number and timing (including expiry) of the trades.
    3. Yes. ;-) We'll know in 4 weeks time ...

4. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Yep, pydberg has the right of it all. No price changes and with no GC points for once they finish your only points are going to be scored from stage placings so you what to have riders in your team that will do well on the next stage. Best thing to do is check when the new trades come into effect and trade accordingly, no point having a climber in when there's a load of sprint stages. As for Q3 there's no real SC like strategy, just pick the best and under budget. Looking at a lot of the prices, there should be no problem keeping under budget to be honest, a lot of cheap favourites which is a bit stupid on behalf or the organisers but its our gain! :D

5. CJ22

CJ22 New Member

Thanks heaps guys! Those links seem really helpful. I'll get stuck into the research!

6. frostylane

frostylane New Member

Thanks for that info, have done my homework and have finalised my team, usually watch parts of the tour so now I can follow my riders.

Looking forward to all these trades, as I have put an embargo on myself on doing any supercoach trades for the month of July.

7. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

I've been tossing up between Pierre Rolland and Rein Taaramäe (top two in last years TDF youth classification).

Could any of you informed cycling followers answer how have they been travelling this year? I've seen a couple people have picked Rolland in there Velo team, which of course makes me lean towards a POD of Taaramäe.

Just found a handyTour de France: White jersey guide, for anyone that is interested. May have answered my own question...

8. port_leschenault

Taaramae is a good pick, he's the favourite for the white jersey. He's a strong TT'er who just won the Estonian Nats but his overall form is a little sketchy, he's been sick and Cofidis are playing silly buggers behind the scenes, its likely he's going elsewhere next year.

The course this year doesn't suit Rolland and even though he's worked to improve his TT he likely wont figure but is a good bet for a win in the mountains of course.

I've liked both riders for a while now :D

9. UnderAchievers

UnderAchievers Member

Hey guys, will definitely jump in when I have a moment. Thanks for organising Port.

10. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Hey guys does the Sunday ride - the Prelude count for anything in terms of SBS fantasy game.

From memory is this just a warm up day or are sprints & stage honours on the line?

11. port_leschenault

You mean the stage on the Champs-Élysées? Yes, there's not attacking early on until they reach the Parisian circuit or GC changes on the stage but the sprint for the stage win is still a result.

12. stephen247

stephen247 Member

Hi all - I'm back in again. Set up in all three. Hopefully I can do a bit better than for the Giro - now that I know what I am doing (says he with tongue planted firmly in cheek...). Good luck to everyone.

Cheers, S.

13. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Guest

What a luxury to have money left after your initial team selection! Now I can do upgrades instead of downgrades to finalise my team. Bring it on!

14. LiQuiD_SiXx

LiQuiD_SiXx Active Member

Hey all, thanks P_L for setting this up. The TDF is one of the events I look forward to most each year.

I have a couple of questions for those in the know. Since Cavendish and Renshaw are no longer on the same team, who will be the main lead out sprinter for Cavendish on Team Sky? Rogers? And does this mean that Renshaw is now the number 1 sprinter at Rabobank or will he still play the lead out role? If so, who is there main sprinter?

The reason I ask is often the lead out sprinters still finish in the Top20 places and are a good source of 'cheap' points.

15. port_leschenault

Hey LS,
    When Cavendish went to Sky he brought with him his freind Bernie Eisel. Bernie is a massive tank from Austria, was part of the lead out at HTC and have been part of the train for Cav at Sky. Rogers (hopefully) wont be working for Cav, rather what Sky will do is give Cavendish Eisel and Edvald Boasson Hagen for the sprints, so they wont actively chase back a breakaway. There should be plenty of other teams though, like GreenEdge, Argos and Lotto who will make sure stages end in a sprint when possible so Cavendish will get a chance, he just wont have as many people dedicated to him like he's used too.

Renshaw is the only sprinter and really the only rider on that team (Rabobank) who is not built around the 3 GC guys they have. He may get help from a couple of domestiques but Renshaw will be a "lone ranger" most of the time in the sprints, sort of like McEwen. Should place high on most stages but only the very optimistic see him winning a stage.

16. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

From what I remember the prologue counts, so guys like Martin, Cancelllara, Wiggins will be important as they may carry the yellow for a few days. But don't discount stage 1 where a hill finish brings in the likes of Gilbert (even though not in great form), Nibali, Sagan and even the old warhorse Chavenel. From then you can indulge in the sprinters and with the next bunch of transfers bring in some GC contenders for the hills.

Good luck all. I know I'm late to the party but will try to join the TS comp anyway.

17. Jodie

Jodie New Member

Hi all, good to be back for the big dance. I'm in SBS and velogames. Exciting 3 weeks ahead

18. port_leschenault

Good to hear from you again Jodie! Congrats on your Giro win, look forward to hearing your thoughts throughout the Tour. :)

19. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

Why oh why did I dump Cancellara from my squads at the last minute!

20. BJWNFI

BJWNFI Member

@warsaken - I hear and share your pain!