2014 MSD Trade Period - Auctions

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by chris88, May 5, 2014.

1. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

OK, I thought I'd start this thread as there may be people (including myself, see below in a few minutes) wishing to follow the auction route for a player during the coming trade period. This seemed to work well for many of us during the PSD trade period - I'm a bit of a convert I have to admit! Let's see how we go again.

2. chris88

All right, given it has just ticked past 8pm, I'll perhaps put the first player on the auction block. Reason I am doing this is because I've had stated interest from a number of people in this player in the past, and also more recently. There has also been interest in another of my defenders and I'm now thinking that perhaps it is best and fairer for the player in question to be put on the block, and the other defender retained. So, here goes: Trent McKenzie, Gold Coast Suns. Age: Just turned 22. Position: Defender Average for 2014: 77-78. Simply put, I don't think there is another defender among those available in the MSD that averages this much whilst being this young. We're talking about a guy who could be a starting defender for the next 8-10 years perhaps. He averaged 88 last year before running out of puff a little at the end of the year due to a limited pre-season. This year I'd expect him to be far more consistent and most likely improve his average post the bye. Given that, I'd be seeking a high quality young forward in return (I need a young forward), or a high (1st round) MSD pick. Or, third option is to state your best deal. Auction opens now and will continue until Wednesday this week. Hopefully reserve will be met and we can progress from there. If not, Mr McKenzie will be taken off the table and private negotiations can continue. Happy bidding guys. And to those who have mentioned McKenzie or other defenders - hope you understand ... an auction is the fairest way to try and work out a deal if multiple people are interested.

3. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

The Nuffers have been hit with a number of injuries recently. We have no room to carry any more non playing guys. As a result we put the rookie listed Mid, Richmond's Anthony Miles up for auction. Also the injured Def Jarryn Geary, who's been a very good player for us but we can't carry him and the other injured players on our list. We are also open to offers for other players in the squad.

4. G-Train

G-Train Member

Chris, for Trent McKenzie I bid MSD 2014 First Round (pick 5 I believe)

5. G-Train

G-Train Member

Andy, for Anthony Miles I bid collingwood defenderLachlan Keeffe

6. chris88

Hi Andy - Can I put in a bid for Anthony Miles? I'd be willing to swap Tom Curren (St Kilda midfielder) for him. I like Tom and I'd keep him normally but I have too many St Kilda midfielders in my squad! Thanks Andy.

7. graeme

graeme Guest

Andy, I offer young Cats' forward George Burbury for injured Saints' defender[span style='color: #444444; background-color: #ffffff;]Jarryn Geary. [span style='color: #444444; background-color: #ffffff;]
    [span style='color: #444444; background-color: #ffffff;]Burbs is a prospect and currently averaging 53 ppg. IMO, he has good job security - he has played the last five games since coming back from a jaw injury in the first round of the NAB Cup. For other Association members who might be interested in Burbs I suggest you pm me with an offer. I will trade [span style='color: #444444; background-color: #ffffff;]Burbs and a MSD pick fora high quality playing defender - the better the defender, the better the pick. OTY.

8. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Chris I offer the following for MacKenzie /Portals/0/Users/168/92/7592/fruit%20tingles.jpg' style='width: 275px; height: 183px;/Portals/0/Users/168/92/7592/bbq%20shapes.jpg' style='font-size: 14px;/Portals/0/Users/168/92/7592/maltesers01.jpg /Portals/0/Users/168/92/7592/burger%20rings.jpg

9. chris88

Yum. I love fruit tingles! :)

10. chris88

Also, it seems that the reserve has been met for Mr McKenzie. To those who are interested - feel free to bid away, as he is on the market.

11. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

chris88 wrote:
    Also, it seems that the reserve has been met for Mr McKenzie. To those who are interested - feel free to bid away, as he is on the market. Was it my bid?

12. grav

grav Guest

For McKenzie I will put up Jeff Garlett and MSD pick 24

13. chris88

Bandit wrote:
    chris88 wrote:
    Also, it seems that the reserve has been met for Mr McKenzie. To those who are interested - feel free to bid away, as he is on the market. Was it my bid? I was almost swayed by the inclusion of the Burger Rings .... but not quite :)

14. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

The Misfits have elected to place their #1 2015 PSD pick up for auction. The pick number is clearly unknown, if the clock stopped now it would be #4, we estimate it is likely to be between 1 & 8. For those that may have forgotten, picks 1 to 10 this year landed:Jack Martin,Josh Kelly,Jesse Hogan,Jack Billings,Luke McDonald,Mitchell Grigg,Thomas Boyd,James Aish,Matthew Scharenberg &Kade Kolodjashnij.
    We needsomebodywho has a few years in the system and is playing regularly as a key back or forward, we are not interested in anyone's B graders. If this auction fails to return the required value by the 12th it will be pulled and available for private trade, or for auction at the end of the year. <div>

15. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Is it alright to message a person regarding a player up for auction, strike a medium then put the offer in here? Or does all discussion have to be made on this thread? Thanks :)

16. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I had the same thought Fitzy, I decided against doing it because it did not feel 'right'.. NFI on a ruling, I thought we made you Assist Trade boss anyway, make a rule, run it past Terry and we will play along :)

17. graeme

graeme Guest

If it is an auction then I would suggest a side deal cannot be done without the player being withdrawn from the auction. Just my opinion. Some might argue that if you put a player up for auction them you are committed to an auction outcome. Of course an under-bidder might question your decision to go with a lesser bid.

18. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

chels wrote:
    If it is an auction then I would suggest a side deal cannot be done without the player being withdrawn from the auction. Just my opinion. Some might argue that if you put a player up for auction them you are committed to an auction outcome. Of course an under-bidder might question you decision to go with a lesser bid. Yeah fair statement. Would it be a fair suggestion that side talks can happen, as long as no deal is accepted, and the offer is posted here so others can try beat it? Also giving enough time for other coaches to try beat it. Opinions? :)

19. chris88

Fitzy wrote:
    chels wrote:
    If it is an auction then I would suggest a side deal cannot be done without the player being withdrawn from the auction. Just my opinion. Some might argue that if you put a player up for auction them you are committed to an auction outcome. Of course an under-bidder might question you decision to go with a lesser bid. Yeah fair statement. Would it be a fair suggestion that side talks can happen, as long as no deal is accepted, and the offer is posted here so others can try beat it? Also giving enough time for other coaches to try beat it. Opinions? :) Fitzy - I would agree that your statement above is fair and reasonable. For example, if someone was interested in a player, was thinking of offering one of two players in return, and perhaps asked the person conducting the auction who they might prefer. I would think that is a perfectly reasonable set of circumstances. Another alternative might be to simply ask the person conducting the auction if they prefer a player of a pick in return. That way the person making the bid doesn't have to make 2 bids as alternatives. They can settle on one (specific player, or a pick, or whatever) and present that as their best offer for consideration here in the thread.

20. graeme

graeme Guest

Eminently sensible suggestions Fitzy, well thought out.