AFL trades - impacts on your ORFFA team

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by chris88, Oct 26, 2013.

1. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

As the final trades come flooding through I thought it might be a good chance for coaches to share their thoughts on how they think they've fared during trade period in the AFL. Which of your players do you think will benefit from a change of scenery? Are there any that, through the trade of someone else, might have renewed opportunities to get games? For me, I think Eddie Betts' move to Adelaide and Dom Tyson's recruitment by Melbourne have the potential to help their scoring - particularly the latter. I don't think I've 'lost out' on any trades ... at least not yet!! What are your thoughts?

2. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Suspect delistments/retirements likely to have more affect on coaches in our Association, although whoever owns Cross must be anxious. Some tradees will get more opportunity (+SC points), but some will get less. Also interesting is the stocks of those left (e.g. Roughie) that could rise.

3. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Retirements and trades have only had a minor impact on Cradle Mountain with one retirement - Jude Bolton and one trade, Trent West from Geelong to Brisbane which will definately increase his opportunities to playin the AFL. If West had of stayed at Geelong I almost certainly would have traded or delisted him. At the start of2013 I thought it would be the final AFL season for Bolton and Fletcher. I don't think any Devils will be delisted by their AFL clubs. I think positional changes could have a bigger impact on the Devils as Heppell and Stevie J are likely tobe pure mids next year. If this happens Cradle Mountain will have a significantly different forward line next season with two of the starting fourforwards from 2013 in Johnson and Bolton no longer being there.

4. graeme

graeme Guest

Nice idea for a thread.
    All good in Waikik country. Crameri may well get more opportunity further up the ground and as a result might score better, Pods will probably not be delisted. The better news is Hamish McIntosh seems to be healthy, that will take some pressure off Sauce.
    Bigger impact may be positional changes - I really do think that might have a huge impact on some squads and may make PSD a bit strange as shortage fills may take priority over grabbing rookie talent. Not for us though - we will be harvesting grapes as part of pre-season conditioning.

5. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

A bit of action to note at The Pit, most of it not good Franklin's shift means Gunston will get more attention... interesting to see how that goes. But it also means Sam Reid may not play forward... if that is the case I will be bloody pissed off. Mumford to GWS means Giles no longer No. 1, big hole in our rucks Savage to the Saints means more regular game time... win for me. Hoping Ben Reid and Lachie Hansen get D/F eligibility

6. chris88

Reckon the pre-draft trading period will be eye-opening. Forwards look to be again at a premium. Might see a lot of picks based on positional need more than just pure talent.

7. graeme

graeme Guest

I think you might be right Chris. It would be accompanied by a drink at Waikick HQ if news were to come through soon the Chris Knights has recovered 100% from his knee op and was ready to play a full part in the Tiges 2014 campaign. If he retains the F designation, and why wouldn't he, (currently M/F) then his scores might well be handy in our forward set-up. To save people looking up the stats base - average of 70 including the 45 when he was injured in the second quarter against Port.
    It should surprise nobody that this years strong teams will likely be strong next year. As my pappy used to say (sort of) 'trade in haste, repent at leisure.'

8. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

If you have me as one of the strong teams Chels (does top 4 mean strong team), then I have to disagree, unless I can pull of a couple of minor miracles I think I will be playing for the who gives a fat rats clacker cup next year

9. graeme

graeme Guest

Chief's the man who sets the odds Banditto, I would be surprised if he lets you drift too far. If you are worried about young Gunston I am only to happy to take the worry out of your life amigo.

10. chris88

Currently sweating on a few of the positional decisions from SC/VS in the coming couple of months - particularly those related to Walker, Otten, Westhoff and Vickery. Depending on how they fall, there might be a couple more significant player moves in the offing out Darraweit way.

11. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

Quite a bit of AFL movement affecting the Chooks, unfortunately the players involved are all moving to crap AFL teams that should be in the bottom 2 or 3 on the ladder. This probably means that their scoring potential diminishes. Mumford moving to GWS, hopefully it means more ruck time instead of sharing with Pyke. He scored alright in the back half of the season as he got a bit more time than the Canadian. Hopefully Giles is less competition for him (they are giving the sausage boy a lot of cash so he'd want to be playing 80% ruck) Heath Shaw moving to GWS. Hopefully he has a point to prove. I think he will get tagged heavily (I mean who else are they going to tag). And we all know how Heath goes when he gets tagged and/or gets a bit angry. Bugger. Bernie Vince moving to Melbourne. Will probably play a bigger midfield role than he was doing at the Crows as a lot of the young Adelaide boys had gone past him. But it is Melbourne and they do actually have to get the ball. Probably cancels itself out really. So, don't really know how it will shake itself out..... P.S. The odds will probably be updated after the draft. At this early stage there are 4-5 stand out sides and then a massive log jam of about 10. As usual, injuries will play a big part.

12. snoz

snoz Moderator

Hhmmm..............Patty K was in serious consideration to be booted, but voila! He becomes a Pie now and all is good in the world. Fringe player Jackson Paine still sits on the chopping block, but his move north 'may' help him. Outside of that, I've just been busy trying to get Obamacare up & running

13. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Nice idea for a thread. I had a few players moving around.
    Polec was one and that should be good for him. Hopefully he can start playing. I've had him since our very first draft, but he hasn't played for us much.
    Sylvia to Freo and NDS to Kangas should both be good.

one big non-trade for me was McKernan asking to be traded, but not getting a deal done. And then to top it off, Ade signed Pods... McKernan is extremely likely to be delisted by the Cockatoos now.

14. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Following the completion of the AFL draft my own approach to the ORFFA PSD is now much clearer.
    I just need ALL the top 20 picks to realise it....

/Portals/0/User%20Images/NewFolder/Math-Problem.jpg