backline woes

Discussion in 'Blog' started by nicho1, Jun 24, 2008.

By nicho1 on Jun 24, 2008 at 10:00 AM
  1. nicho1

nicho1 New Member

In a Dream Team season plagued with backline problems it just doesnt seem to be getting any better. Lack of talent combined with injury after injury means you are more than likely to be not alone in having a backline with more holes than a soup strainer.

The only true premium back in Chad Cornes has been playing injured for some months and he decided to add a calf strain to his list of ailments this week. Combine that with his Power team mate Peter Burgoynes dodgy hammy and Beau 'I cant get a senior game' Waters completely stuffed elbow thanks to a pointless WAFL appearance.

Adding 'injury' to insult Jake King, Brad Symes and Daniel Bradshaw have been warming the pine for a few weeks whilst everyones answer to any forced DreamTeam trades, Andrew McLeod, decided that he would also take a holiday.

Given my own personal predicament with a few of the above players some major analysis and review of options is needed and this is what i personally think of the situation.

Its f**ked.

But beyond that pearl of wisdom you might like to consider this.

Cornes: Latest news is he isnt going under the knife so keep him unless his season is over, his potential talent and the saving of a trade should be too important.

Burgoyne: Keep him on your bench. He is listed as 2 weeks, one of which is the split round, so a chance to only miss one game.

Waters: Trade, no point holding $264k of nothingness on your bench.

King and Bradshaw: Listed as 'tests' this week so a chance to play. Definitely no point trading either of those two.

So what options do you have?

Well here is my personal opinion on some of the main backline players, placed in a vague order of preference:

Over $300,000

Heath Shaw: ($303,000). Simple, if you dont have him, get him. Cheap and beyond struggling with an opponent / tag (its a team sport Heath...!) he is capable of awesome scores, 8 94+ scores out of 13 isnt shabby.

Lindsay Gilbee ($308,000). If you have Shaw but not Gilbee once again its simple, get him. He can cop a tag like Shaw but is getting back
    into form. Has the added benefit of being devastatingly accurate by
    foot and therefore constantly used in forward thrusts by his team
    mates. 87.5 average over the past month.

Andrew Mackie ($356,500). I do love this boy. Currently has the best
    backline average in DT. 50% of his scores have been 96 +, yet only
    5,680 own him?

Bock ($351,100) / Johncock ($343,000). Both Crows, both pretty consistent and priced accordingly.

Sam Fisher ($355,100). Basically Bocks St Kilda equivalent. Back in form with his last 6 weeks averaging 92.5.

Brendon Goddard ($332,600). Pretty consistent but injuries can be a concern.

Joel Bowden ($344,700): Went back into defence and scored 180 this week. 32 kicks, 7 handballs & 23 marks along with 1 solitary free kick for - and nothing else, pure DreamTeam gold. Is he back, will he continue in defence?
    Risk / reward could be well worth it, prior to his 180 he did average
    74 since returning to the side which is ok, and if he stays back in
    defence to recapture his previous DreamTeam godliness you might get one up on
    the competition.

Jordan McMahon ($307,600). Only 7,581 have him and he has been pretty consistant with an 82.38 average, scores of 43 to 126.

Paul Wheatley ($360,900). Currently the most expensive back but only 1,146 owners. Last six games have averaged 94.8. Cost and playing for the Dees means you probably shouldnt go near him.

Jarred Brennan ($320,600). He is about as predictable as an angry female and just as much fun to have around. But is the fact he spent time in the midfield against the Crows on the weekend, and racked up 138 DreamTeam points worth the punt...?

Under $300,000:

At this time of year i am always hesitant on trading in less than premium players. But if all you can afford is something a little cheaper you might be looking at these guys:

Birchall ($275,700) / Ladson ($282,300). Probably only had one or two bad scores each although i would learn towards Birchall. For all those people contemplating Guerra at $320k - let me tell you this. If you remove the lowest and highest scores from Guerra and Birchall you get averages of 82 for Guerra and 79 for Birchall - is that worth $50k?

Craig Bolton ($258,000). Sydney player which makes him ugly. But with a 73.5 average he could prove to be a viable option at a very attractive price.

David Wirrpanda ($282,500). Been consistent this year for the Eagles but will he score well in a team that is really struggling?

Michael Osborne ($264,800). Average DTer and owned by way too many people (55,818) after he started with 109, 105, 89 and everyone piled onto his bandwagon. Avoid.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by nicho1, Jun 24, 2008.