Captain of the Dogs?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by walesy, Jan 20, 2011.

1. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a.../story-e6frf9jf-1225991000126?from=public_rss

<blockquote>Daniel Giansiracusa has put up his hand to succeed Brad Johnson as top Dog, but Matthew Boyd is considered favourite for the job. Senior players Robert Murphy, Daniel Cross and Adam Cooney all also have claims.

Youngster Shaun Higgins has also been spoken of as a future captain.</blockquote>

And let's not forget Lake! In a straw poll, who do we think is gunna get the captaincy? Surely Boyd right?

2. Stew

Stew New Member

Boyd for sure.
    Not sure why Lake's name isn't being touted around though.
    As long as they don't do the multiple captain rubbish.

3. wal

wal New Member

I'm a big fan of Daniel Cross - I hope he gets the gig. His dedication and work ethic would make him ideal for the on-field job. I guess the personality profiling that comes with the weight of media commitments captains have to shoulder these days may count against him. From a SC perspective, I've got Cross shortlisted for my midfield so I'd probably prefer he didn't get too distracted from the job at hand ;)

4. spud

spud New Member

I'd have to say Boyd as well for captaincy. Unless an aker comeback is on the cards for a tilt at the flag in '11 :p

Perhaps Big 'ol Bazza can get the gig for a year as a reward for his good behaviour? He certainly behaved himself last year, unlike a certain other forward who always moved interstate...Didn't do half bad on the goal kicking tally either.

5. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Boyd for sure you would think. But Gia wouldnt be the worst selection.

6. Burly

Burly New Member

Definately Boyd for mine. Gia goes missing a bit on gameday, cant see him getting appointed.

7. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Please don't let them choose Gianciracusa as our next captain. I think I will puke if this happens tomorrow.

8. Daveo

Daveo Member

i am going left of field and giving my vote to bob murphy. He can handle the media very well.

9. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I'm trying to see the Dogs version of Harley or Maxwell and keep drawing blanks.

I see a lot of very good players, some behind the scenes operators, some great on camera but I can't see the right leader to take them forward.

That's why there's this conundrum in the first place.

To be honest, in terms of one of the more crucial players, Griffin might be a very left-field selection. When the crunch was on in finals last year, he stood up admirably.

Boyd is likely to get the job, and though he like Maxwell is a rookie list made good, I don't see him as the on-field leader (voice) like the Pies number 5.

10. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Boyd it is- Can't say I'm too suprised, he's gone from strength to strength over the last few years.

11. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Very happy with that. Go Dogs!

12. spud

spud New Member

Good on him. Seems like most here agree with the decision too. Will he be able to help the dogs take that elusive next step and get them into a GF?

13. boydshow

boydshow Guest

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on January 21, 2011, 09:08
    I'm trying to see the Dogs version of Harley or Maxwell and keep drawing blanks.

I see a lot of very good players, some behind the scenes operators, some great on camera but I can't see the right leader to take them forward.

That's why there's this conundrum in the first place.

To be honest, in terms of one of the more crucial players, Griffin might be a very left-field selection. When the crunch was on in finals last year, he stood up admirably.

Boyd is likely to get the job, and though he like Maxwell is a rookie list made good, I don't see him as the on-field leader (voice) like the Pies number 5.</blockquote>

Dale Morris was the best candidate, he is the captain of the backline, barking instructions as Maxwell and Harley do/did. I agree that this type of player is a good one to make the captain, they see everything unfolding. I think Boyd was a Sam Mitchell selection, he'll do the job but there will be other leaders prominent under his reign.

14. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Did Morris even apply? Or more concerned about being fit and healthy

15. boydshow

boydshow Guest

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on January 21, 2011, 22:34
    Did Morris even apply? Or more concerned about being fit and healthy</blockquote>

Not sure sorry. Probably too introverted off field in the eyes of the club, but his on field and professionalism is what I would have preferred. Very much in the same mould as Boyd, both hard working rookies with a low public profile, Boyd can tend to be a bit one way sometimes though which doesn't set a great example.