Chasing Points or Picking Form

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Dirtydog, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Dirtydog

Dirtydog New Member

We've all been guilty of it in one way or another! We've all chased last weeks scores and paid for it the next. However, when does chasing points become a brilliant move? and we pick a player at the start of a purple patch? Is Barlow a Chaser or at the start of some very large scores? Freo's next few games suggest Barlow could be a significant scorer (if his first game is any indicaiton)... Rnd2 - WB (A) Rnd3 - ESS (H) Rnd4 - HAW (A) Rnd5 - Rich (H) Rnd 6 -GC (A) Rnd 7 -COLL (H) Rnd 8 -SYD (A) Rnd 9 - MEL (H) Barlow love the wide spaces and is clearly back on the track fully fit and healthy again. Who are your chasers this week and why?

2. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I have a trade addiction, and have spent the summer in rehab trying to beat it. Shuey to Barlow or Mundy & Heppell to Dempsey look like inspired trades right now, but I wont be making them, I hope
    Next week all five scores could easily reverse...

3. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

If your going to pick Barlow, which I wouldn't, I would only pick him if he will stay in your team until the end of the year and score high enough to compete with the other mid guns. I think he is too high in price to be a good cash cow, and won't score high enough consistently to stay in your team

4. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Tomster wrote:
    If your going to pick Barlow, which I wouldn't, I would only pick him if he will stay in your team until the end of the year and score high enough to compete with the other mid guns. I think he is too high in price to be a good cash cow, and won't score high enough consistently to stay in your team Mundy on the other hand, was in the top 10 scorers once upon a time, before injuries got the better of him the past two seasons. Food for thought. But as a rule from a fellow trade addict, no trades after round one unless you have an injured player (LeCras). And even then, there are no price rises yet, so you can hold onto LeCras and wait for another score sample from potential replacements.

5. DC

DC Member

If Ryderbacks up a sub 70 score against Melbourne... I will be moving him on... too expensive for that!

6. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

I used to chase points a lot, the first year I played SC, I traded Tredrea in because he scored 150+, next week, he got <50 points!

7. 82asch

82asch New Member

I am pretty confident that this post belongs here... So I was in a rush last week and was putting Fyfe in my team, scrolled down pressed add on the purple jumper that appeared around the high 400K range and thought all was well. Had a look Sunday morning and was pretty upset to see Clancee Pearce in my team!!! Seriously should have checked but moving on....
    The purple haze looked good on Sat night and I have enough cash and willingness to trade to another Docker mid. There are some great options in this range (Barlow, Mundy, Fyfe & Pearce) any thoughts on the best option. Obviously I will wait till after Rd 2 but am keen to see what people think right now. Player from another team?

8. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

Mundy is set for a 110 average without being aridiculous comment and many will agree. He is by far the better choice out of him and Barlow due to Barlows efficiency/accuracy being quite low (albiet improving). Mundy is smooth week in week out like other elite midfielders and may even go elite himself this year like he hinted at 2 years ago, he's fit and has a good midfield around him.
    I'd say Mundy for 110 - 120 a week consistently, against fyfe and barlow who will be 70 one and 140 next.

9. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

we've got more trades this year, so I dont think trading before round 2 should be looked on so negatively anymore. Especially if someone has Clancee Pearce :) And even Ryder to a lesser extent. If I had either, they'd be gone before round 2. I dont think I'll be trading, unless a prem picks up an injury *touches wood* - even if just a short term inury. If I had LeCras, Id be trading him out too. We have that luxury this year.

10. 82asch

82asch New Member

Cheers guys, have gone Mundy at this stage. Was looking at the extra trades all weekend and thinking I should burn one and am going to, nets me 10K as well. Clancee Pearce - unbelievable!