Coach influence?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by fidelsfinger, Mar 14, 2012.

1. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Looking at different teams over the years, some teams &/or coaches, seem to produce better scorers (SC or DT) from different positions.
    St kilda, richmond, Carlton & Hawthorn have seemed to play a type of footy that allows their defenders to score above average.
    Freo, Syd, haw, geel have played the kind of game that allows their forwards to score above ave.
    So what does a coach change mean?
    Will the saints former brand of footy be re-invented at Fremantle under Lyon?
    Will Broughton, Ibbotson & Duffield score as well as Goddard & fischer did last year?
    Will goddard & fischers scores drop under new coach?
    What other coach changes & that coaches strategy, could influence scores in different positions?

2. Tango

Tango New Member

I just hope to hell that it's still Choco running the show at GWS like he did last year in the NEAFL and Sheedy sticks to the marketing stuff. Ever since the Bombers lost to Brisbane in 2001, he just seemed to decline tactically and didn't seem to keep up with the changing nuances of the modern game. Despite his final years at Port, I still rate Choco as a coach. If I remember correctly, Port played a possession style game during their successful run in the early and mid 2000's that Clarko adapted with great success last year. Whether that's revived this year, or that the GWS kids have the requisite skills to pull it off is another matter. That being said, I live in Canada, so I've seen approximately zero NAB Cup games and rely on the good people of Too Serious to keep me well informed.

3. VanderHaar

VanderHaar New Member

id still have faith in sheedy , he just needed a break and the players needed a break from him at essendon , i wish they would have given him a few years holiday at ess and then bought him back for the new crop of kids.
    i think tho for personally for freo that lyon will stick to his stkilda type plan as he hasnt had a break in coaching , we will know in the first few rounds if poor pavlich is 1 out vs 14 players ala poor nick roo .
    so we have new coaches melb , dogs , saint , freo and i know im forgetting someone to watch.

4. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

I have enormous respect for sheedy & choco,
    They're both cabable of strategies & matchups that can lead an on paper inferior team to victories over better teams.
    Giants are 1.23 faves for the wooden spoon atm,
    I believe the Giants will avoid the spoon under sheedy/choco guidance.
    & Freo, I don't expect much from them other than Lyons influence in allowing their defenders to score above their former averages.