Diamonds in the rough

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Yamumluvsbigcox, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Yamumluvsbigcox

Yamumluvsbigcox New Member

Hey TSers looking at the high price of players for 2012 finding those underpriced gems that are going to be KEEPERS is going to be very important when picking a starting team . Think Goldstein Rockliff Petrie Suckling Birchall Fyfe even Pendles was underpriced and if you manage to pick a couple of those players it could mean the difference between top 100 and 5000.
    A few on my radar are -

Lenny Hayes - Proven peformer priced low due to injury has all the attributes to score 100+ average . Age is a factor 30+ but if fit and with easy early run of games could get you off to a flyer

Kieran Jack - After a breakout 2010 where he played every game and averaged 100 Jack only managed to average 80 with his season stalling due to missing 5 games early in the season with injury . If given free run Jack has a high scoring ability but can be used as a tagger which cuts his scoring potental! Watch preseason for role if used as a pure Mid get on

Luke Shuey - Good mix of inside and outside mid gets clearances and gets free to pick up possies on the wings. Has a high ceiling with scores of 154 and 146 at 21 years of age he has alot more scoring potential could increase average by 10 to 20 . Injurys have been an issue early in his career but has been killing it on the track so far this preseason

would love to hear everyone ideas for potential gems :D

2. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

Michael Barlow - Average about 113 in 2010 before breaking his leg. This season after coming back averaged about 110 from rounds 18-21 and probably got a bit tired from the demands of AFL after being out for about a year. He is priced about $450,000 and a good chance to average over 110.

3. Yamumluvsbigcox

I think barlow will be on everyones radar just have to see what Ross Lying will do with the freo squad and how barlow goes with a long preseason that type of injury will affect him for life ! Nathan Brown was never the same

4. bfish

bfish New Member

I was expecting Jack to pick up another 10ppg last year yamum. Think he is a def unique option in the mids with the potential to get to 115.

5. Yamumluvsbigcox

In 2010 when ROK had that groin issue he started doing the tagging and Jack took over the damaging goal kicking midfield role and his scores went threw the roof but last season jack and ROK were back to there previous roles . Until Sydney get another tagger to free up Jack his scores will suffer . He is def unique option bfish even more this year i will be watching his nab games closly but would you pick him over hayes or barlow?

6. Jason Porplyzia. Won't be a POD but Adelaide in the last couple of years really haven't lived up to their potential, and are crying out for a strong marking forward. If the new coach can get the best out of the team they should be a legitimate shot at the eight and I think Porps would play a big part in that and make a solid F8. Big if there though unfortunately

7. Yamumluvsbigcox

my problem with porps is he is to expensive for a cash cow and probably wont make the top 10 FWDs so either a trade up or down is required he will very good value and very popular but is he worth the cost of a trade .
    @ BlueBeliever Do you think Robinson will still get fwd tagging roles next year ?

8. SuperCoachSuperStar

Jack Riewoldt had a zero at the start of the year (which decreased his average by 4) he also had niggling injuries throughout the season, so he could be an option.

9. Yeah definitely, I think he'll spend most of his time in the FWD line tagging to be honest. Should still do some stints through the midfield as well though

10. Yamumluvsbigcox

Think Jroo will go alright the delivery to him has alot to do with it the tigers have an up and coming midfield so that would help and vickery as another key FWD would take the pressure off. Were there rumours of him play further up the ground ? That would help him not get bogged down with 2 defenders on him and increase his scoring for sure!

11. Dekka

Dekka Member

Surely Lake and Bower can increase their average by 25 points on last year and make 100k each?

12. Yamumluvsbigcox

Lake will be on everyones list will be the 2012 petrie if he can get his body right but as for Bower you would be treating him as a rookie hope he get early games makes some cash and trade him before the twang of hammy or quad .

13. vc_bombers

vc_bombers New Member

Jono Brown and Didak are another obvious 2. How about Macaffer? If he can hold down a spot in the team he could be gold. I remember him going nuts midseason a few seasons back,and if I'm not mistaken was at one stage the most expensive SC player.

What are your thoughts on Brad Dick as a cash cow? Great crumber, can kick a bag of goals and tackle a bit, injury history is a concern but I think its low risk given the price.

14. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

I think Jordan Lewis is under valued considering his MPP status. As a fwd he could well average 100+ which you'd take from plenty of fwds who have higher $ value ( Cloke, Petrie & some other MPPs Sylvia, Harvey, Beams?)

Anyone think Marty Clark at $170K could get a regular gig, say take Ben Johnson's possie now Mick has left the building?

15. Yamumluvsbigcox

Brad dick is rookie listed so he will need to be upgraded to senior list before he would see any afl action and I think he is out until mid season with a shoulder recon or something too so don't go chasing cheap dick

16. Yamumluvsbigcox

Lewis now a FWD/MID nice had realized lookin at his stats 90 average three years in a row do you think he is due for a breakout year heavymen ? Is there talks out of Hawthorne about him? Would love some inside gossip

17. Yamumluvsbigcox

Think Marty Clarke may slot into neon Leon's spot in the backline they must have chased him at trade week for a reason would help free up Cheater shaw too so ++

18. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Just my gut ATM. Gets 30 touches on a good day & seems to be their link around half fwd. Good goal sense & is entering his prime years as a footballer. As a mid only he's not elite but play him as a fwd who gets good on ball time & can cover injuries & byes in yr midfield & I like him.

19. SuperCoachSuperStar

Phil Davis could go alright next season priced about $280,000 and playing for GWS and plenty of the ball should be at the backline.

20. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Yea ive been thinking about Davis.. Since Petrenko is a mid only next year trying to find someone else that is set for breakout year.