Dustin Martin; Disappointing this year but will he bounce back next season?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by TigersTooTough, Aug 10, 2012.

1. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

When talking of Dustin Martin, I think it's better to look at things in a SC perspective as he hasn't been disappointing from a players' point of view.

He has been averaging 89 this season which isn't too bad but unfortunately, he has not come along like most expected him to. This got me thinking of a player who was also a Round 1 draft pick that SC wise, got some big scores but was very inconsistent; until this year. The person I am thinking of is Patrick Dangerfield. Danger is now in his 5th season and is really enjoying a breakout season. I reckon him and Martin are a similar type of impact player. In Danger's 3rd season (Martin in his 3rd season) he averaged just 69. Last year it jumped to around 80-81. This year it's 112. I think that Martin is progressing quicker than Dangerfield which brings to my main point.

Many people have put Martin on their "Never Again List" along with the likes of Waters, Broughton and Sylvia amongst others. From my point of view, he is only 21 years old and he is surrounded by quality players who can steer him in the right direction. From an AFL perspective, he is one of the most dangerous players but in SC-land, we want him to not score 80 in the first half and finish on 90.

So I will ask you guys; Do you agree that Martin, like Dangerfield, will become a must next year or will he be on your "Never Again" list?

2. hawks2008

hawks2008 Member

I think most put him on that list because of his off field behaviour, rather than his form, which hasnt been up to the 100+ average that most who started with him expected. I dont think ill start with him next year, might be a possible upgrade if hes playing well

3. the_steadier

the_steadier Moderator

If he starts playing as a fulltime onballer he will be comfortably knocking out tons every week.
    Wins it inside and outside = SC gold.

I'd be happy to be proven incorrect by a tiges fan... but just doesn't seem to have the tank yet to displace someone like Grigg etc from the regular mid rotations?
    Also, knows where the goals are so the coach is happy to hedge his bets.

I think he and Cyril are very similar players SC wise.

4. TigersTooTough

@Steadier you are right. He probably doesn't have a big enough tank to run full time on ball (like a Dangerfield or a Beams). He does however have a huge gut running and see ball get ball attitude that excites a lot of people.

@hawks2008 You're right. He probably is more of a mid-season upgrade but I would love people to say why they put him on that list. If it's going to be because of off-field behaviour, you may have to take some of the better scorers out of teams like Swan and Shaw if people are worried. Your big no 23 could also be on that list.

5. jibba

jibba Member

If Dusty has a solid pre season, and is still a mid/fwd I can't see how I won't be picking him again.

6. Lethaldons

Lethaldons New Member

Wont be an option next year IMO he will be mid only along with sidebottom , beams , dangerfield etc, and as a mid there is a lot better options out there!!! Will be absouletly shocked if they keep him as a F/M.

7. hplate

hplate New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lethaldons on August 9, 2012, 20:33
    Wont be an option next year IMO he will be mid only along with sidebottom , beams , dangerfield etc, and as a mid there is a lot better options out there!!! Will be absouletly shocked if they keep him as a F/M.</blockquote>

This will be the deal sealer. If he's not a MPP then there's probably no reason to bring him in unless he's super cheap. There's better value out there for the &#36;&#36;.

8. TigersTooTough

Does anyone know how they determine whether a player is a mid/fwd. If it is by how much time they spend forward or how many goals they kick, Martin should be a DPP as he spends time one out in the goal square because of his strength. He also has 22 goals so that's not too bad. On the flip side, Beams has 24 goals and Swan 23 goals but neither of them will be DPP's as they don't actually spend much time in the FWD 50 (Although Swanny has been resting forward recently)

9. Ratmata

Ratmata Member

I asked this at the start of last year with Swan. Will be interesting with Deledio and Gibbs next year.

10. Senator96

Senator96 Active Member

Ive been pretty happy with him this year. Seems to be a lot better in first half of games though so still waiting for him to pull out a really big score, this week hopefully!

I would expect he'd keep the fwd/mid mpp link as he does spend a lot of time in the forward 50

11. TigersTooTough

If Martin and Beams keep their status, why wouldn't Cox or Nic Nat be RUC/FWD's? When one plays ruck the other plays forward.

12. bonesy

bonesy Member

I think the comparison to Danger is spot on. We know Martin is "coming". It's just a matter of when.

Danger was in a lot of teams in his third year and frustrated a lot of supercoaches