Gold Coast Supercoach Averages

Discussion in 'AFL' started by stkildathunda, Jan 21, 2011.

1. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Started going through and working out some of the Gold Coast players averages in the VFL from last year. The big one is Daniel Harris. Scored a massive 212 in round 1 and just continued that great form. Only 3 scores under 100 for entire year.

Daniel Harris: 120.5 (16 games)
    David Swallow: 96.1 (15 games)
    Josh Toy: 82.25 (4 games)
    Brandon Matera: 73.8 (17 games)
    Sam Illes: 95.94 (18 games)
    Charlie Dixon: 62.8 (14 games)
    Michael Coad: 95.75 (8 games)

2. wal

wal New Member

Nice work skt.

Harris definitely merits consideration based on those numbers. Hard to say how they will translate with Ablett & Rischitelli in the mix though.

Sam Iles is one player that caught my eye. A lot of teams have Josh Toy on their backs bench but his 4 games is a worry. Was he injured? In any case, I was already eyeing off Iles so I'll slip him ahead of Toy at this stage. Cheers.

3. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Not sure about Toy, he had a score of 9 one game and then only played 1 oe 2 more. Didnt play the 2nd half of the year so would assume he must have been.

The one that worrys me is Matera. His average is probably bit decieving as late in the year he scoredx 151 and 100odd, but pretty much everything else was below 70. Ive had him as a lock for a while, but no doubting his automatic inclusion.

Definantly jump on Iles. But his numbers may be affected by Ablett and co in the midfield as he will have to share midfield time with them.Mature body, previous AFL experience is a recipe for success.

4. Luigi197

Luigi197 New Member

Yea nice write up SKT.
    Who would you choose: Toy, Iles or Coad in your team next year?
    Also will Harris play in Gold Coast's firsts in the AFL?
    What position is Harris?
    Heard anything about Prestia?

5. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Iles won Gold Coasts B&F last year and is def in the mix for my squad.

I dont see why Harris wouldnt get a game. They need some experienced and mature bodies to help out all the kids. He is a mid (from memory, cant be bothered looking at the prospectus :p )

I cant split Toy & Coad. Would have to see how their preseasons go before making the decision.

Nah havent heard anything about Prestia, i only know little bit about the guys that played last year.

6. Stew

Stew New Member

Good work Thunda... I've been putting off working out their averages for the last few days.
    Interesting that the better performing players are recycled ones... or more mature ones anyway.

Matera worries me a too a little bit.... not so much on a talent front, but rather he may be found stuck up front in the forward pocket, when most of the ball is in the other half... similar to Hitchcock at Port Adelaide last year. Will watch the preseason games to see if they play him upfield at all I suppose.

7. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Great work Thunda- currently I'm looking at getting in two GC rookie backs, tossing up out of the three- this is pointing towards Iles and Coad. As you say though, with the big boys coming to play, he'll prolly get pushed out of the mids- much like Lock.

8. Stew

Stew New Member

Yeah, from GC I've got 1 back, 1 centre and 1 forward.... plus 2 on the ruck bench (Smith and Tippett).
    A lot of rookies from one team, but as long as they are spread accross the lines, I don't see too much of an issue. Plus the rucks probably wont be traded.

9. wal

wal New Member

I still like Matera forward. Nathan Ablett too. With Matera, he would have played as a small forward last year and GC weren't kicking a lot of goals, especially early. So his average is ok and he showed improvement late when the team started to gel which is also a plus. Now it's true GC might not kick too many goals this year either, but job security for a bench forward is notoriously hard to find. He'll get games which is good enough for me.

Besides - someone has to collect the crumbs from Gazza's repeated attempts to drill the ball down his brother's throat!

10. Daveo

Daveo Member

Good work Thunda - been keen on harris and with that average is almost a lock, even he he only averages 90 he will be a fair cash cow or potential keeper.

11. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

And now the sad news- the prospectus has Iles down as a midfielder...

12. wal

wal New Member

Ouch - who has room for more GC midfielders???

On second thoughts... maybe I'll make a team for my 'brother-in-law' this year and target the multi-bye weekly's. I could throw Ablett, D.Swallow, Harris, Iles, Lock & Weller in the mids with a few others. Should get decent growth out of some of 'em :)

13. DAZZLER

DAZZLER New Member

DAZZLER likes Iles,Swallow,Prestia,MAVERICK(what a name),Smith,Toy & Tippet...
    Got to get it down to about 4-5...
    Got Toy, Swallow, Weller, & Tippet so far...
    Might swap Toy for Iles..
    Good work Thunda..

14. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

From my perspective Iles was a dud at Collingwood and would need to have developed greatly to be worth a spot in anyone's team.

His pros were that he was a fairly reliable kick, but he a bit like Alan Toovey at the beginning had quite severe awareness issues.

Given he doesn't have the support that 2V has at Collingwood, I can see him churning a fair bit of ball, and not doing himself justice.

Tough call perhaps, but there's a reason players like Harris, Stanley and Iles are at GC. They couldn't cut it.

15. muttonchops

muttonchops New Member

wal - i would not touch Nathan Ablett with a 10 foot pole in Super Coach, there are far better options.

16. DAZZLER

DAZZLER New Member

I still say N ABLETT has not got a head for the BIG TIME.....

WILL BE A DUD...

17. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

N Ablett...a dud but a very talented premiership player.

I think he has at least shown something at AFL level unlike quite a few players who did OK at VFL level last year without dominating the comp who people here are fawning over.

If N Ablett gets his head together, his body right, he can show his talent.

However the bigger issue for him is the fact that it's not going to be coming into the GC forward line very often with much conviction. It's going to be a tough ride for most GC forwards in the next 2-3 years.

18. spud

spud New Member

Agree with Lucas regarding the GC forwards being in for a tough time. They chose to stock up on seasoned defenders, probably with a view to minimising the damage on the scoreboard while the team gelled together.

We know that KPP's take a couple of years to develop, and it will take just as long for them to gel with the midfield. I tend to think the ball will be spending a fair bit of time in the oppositions forward half as a result of this (more seasoned midfields; easier for other teams backlines to rebound the ball against a young experienced forwardline etc) so perhaps the rebounding defenders at the GC might be worth a punt? I dare say even the seasoned blokes that they bought as they'll likely see more footy.

19. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Cant be bothered looking on fanfooty but what will Harris's starting price be? Rookie priced or $200+? Either way will generate cash nicely.

Ill try to get the remaining Gold Coast averages up sometime over the weekend.. But if anyone else wants to then feel free to go nuts and do it :)

20. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

also, what position will Harris be? anyone know?