GWS team for Round 1

Discussion in 'AFL' started by NotTooSerious, Feb 10, 2012.

1. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Very interesting article this morning...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gws-coach-kevin-sheedy-knows-team-for-round-1/story-e6frf9jf-1226267156960

SHEEDY'S LIKELY ROUND 1 LINE-UP
    (Names, age, games)

B Tomas Bugg 18 (0) Tim Mohr 23 (0, Chad Cornes 32 (239)
    HB Luke Power 32 (282) Phil Davis 21 (18) Adam Kennedy 19 (0)
    C Rhys Palmer 22 (53) Callan Ward 21 (60) Adam Treloar 18 (0)
    HF Curtly Hampton 18 (0, Jeremy Cameron 18 (0) Nathan Wilson, 19 (0)
    F Setanta O'Ailpin 28 (80) Israel Folau 22 (0) Devon Smith 18 (0)
    R Dean Brogan 33 (174) James McDonald 35 (251) Tom Scully 20 (31)
    INT Jonathan Giles24 (0), Dylan Shiel 18 (0), Stephen Coniglio18 (0), Steve Clifton 24(0)
    * No.1 draft pick Jonathon Patton, 18 (0) is injured

A few surprises in there...

2. Bob

Bob New Member

As Walesy pointed out: no Darley. :(

Clifton @ I4 scares me. Could see him getting subbed in for McDonald.

3. Hendy

Hendy Member

My GWS rookies all got a guernsey. Something that isn't an interesting read (old paper higgins);
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/shaun-higgins-says-there-wont-be-any-more-excuses/story-e6frf9jf-1226267170719

4. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

I was a little surprised there is no Buntine or Miles, but having said that, no idea who they would take out to fit those 2 in.

I can't see Mac getting subbed, he is currently one of the only guys at the club who has participated in every training session! And club officals rank him as one of the fittest guys there.

5. bfish

bfish New Member

At least we will know the 21 + sub at lock-out!

6. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Keep in mind Sheedy is the poker master so in many ways may be putting a carrot in front of some kids whilst also challenging some others to earn their spot rather than presume it's theirs... with that in mind AKennedy shapes as a secure forward/mid.
    Hampton hasnt had much talk, will be interesting to se him.

7. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Very True, GaryReal, very true. There is also a lot of time between now and round 1. I can't wait for NAB cup to start.

8. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Somethings definitely amiss, Chornes has been training with the forwards. I've had that confirmed through a number of sources, including a GWS defender. :)

So him lining up in the back pocket is... interesting...

9. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

why cant NAB cup start in january
    the English Premier Leag and NBA have 9mth seasons how the hell are supercoaches supposed to hang out for so long andrew Dimwitriou?

10. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Just as big news from Essendon yesterday:
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128771/default.aspx
    Gumbledore is out AGAIN
    but this creates nice opening for B.Lee (Mid)

11. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

...and Hitchcock long-term injury gives Pfeiffer
    the (Mid/For) opening too. Its gonna be interesting whether some of the overage rookies are better choices than GWS kids (usually are).

12. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Look I was interested just as everyone but please, this is just a speculative side, months out from round 1.

What I took from it:

1) conservative approach, all the "oldies" with the youngsters filling in around them which is what you'd expect this far out

2) The midfield will be what we expected, oldies in their but all the youngsters (Treloar, Coniglio, Shiel, Clifton)

3)There is no way an interchange will be 4 midfielders

4) Only 2 2011 draft picks and a lot of the 17y/o selections

I'm sure there's more but there's plenty of info in that side other than who missed out. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't at least 3-4 changes comes Round 1.

13. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

From what I've heard Sheedy isn't going to be calling too many of the shots on match day, so how much of a say is he going to have in selection? I'd be more interested in Chocco's starting 22 to be honest.

14. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Good point Jason.

Is not the strategy to load up on GWS tasties and then burn them before R.11? And if we look at GC last year there was a lot of spurts of 4-5 games for a young player followed by an unspecified rest period. This would seem to indicate that getting some of the GWS rookies ripe by R.11, assuming they follow a similar strategy, may prove difficult and some may have to go before they max.

Plenty of FWD and MID GWS to choose from, but finding DEF a lot harder.

Not GWS, but it is looking like Zorko will be this year's Mzungu.

15. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Or at least is WAS looking like that terry...not sure now that he'll be out for a month it makes him hard to pick, even if he's named in the round 1 side.

16. a_kampf

a_kampf New Member

QUESTION:

With GWS starting the season 1 week early, and rookies from other teams not named as playing round 1, are we able to select GWS rookies after their lockout (as a donut on the bench)

i hope the question makes sense.

17. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

@a_kampf - I would assume not

I have been thinking about this a bit as well cos there might be a risk If you overlook GWS rookies named for the swans game and then there are a few non GWS rookies not picked the next week - the reverse problem to gold coast having a rd 1bye last year !

There is some great advice above.

My 2 cents is if you want less stress for rd 1 then load in your ideal squad with your first choice rookies leading up to march 24 and then switch out either 1or 2 of your non GWS rookies (and put 1or 2 GWS rookies in their place) from different lines giving consideration to minor changes to your team structure - ie you may need to swing your mpps around to spread your GWS rookies through your lines!

Then if some of your favored rookies aren't picked for round 1 you should still have enough rookie options available prior to the full lockout and will hopefully be able to have a full squad of 30 playing from the get go - without having to search too deep in the rookie bargain bin.

Cheers TTH

18. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

I tried to find something in the supercoach site rules...without any luck! FWIW I would assume not also.

19. TheOnion

TheOnion Member

Partial lockout Rd 1 means (a) running the risk of 'over-selecting' GWS rookies when better options may be available, and (b) considering a GWS player for vice. I can't see the latter being worth doing, but the rookie thing could be a conundrum for many. Having said that, Rd 11 SC defenders with a bye are very scarce, so Mohr is one very high on my must have list.

20. Banzai

Banzai New Member

Maybe not a GWS player, but a Goodes or Mumford would make a great VC in round 1.