Lockout

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Fez, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Fez

Fez Moderator

Mate tells me next NBA season is a lockout any truth? Hope not!

2. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

I read an article on the BBC that says although it isn't yet, it is likely to be.

It is the teams locking out the players this time over players wanting too much but seems to be a very different situation to the AFL because the AFL is making money across the board where private NBA teams will save millions by not playing.

I don't imagine the AFL ever making the call to lock the players out because they are 100% dependent on the players playing to make a profit. The NBA teams though, they have that option as independent business models so the 'negotiations' have relevance and if not befitting a positive outcome for the team then the whole or at least part of the season could be gone.

3. stowie

stowie Moderator

Owners voted to lock the players out as of midnight I believe :(

4. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Well this could be positive news for a few NBL clubs in Oz who have been negotiating with a few players in the event of an NBA lockout.

Personally I wouldn't mind the lockout happening because it would mean my beloved 36er's would have a really good chance of Pat Mills suiting for them :)

5. Fez

Fez Moderator

Bear well take Bogut at the Tigers

6. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

Fez, it has always been on the cards. There was an NBA season some years ago where they played only 50 games compared to the normal 82.

This thing will drag on for quite a while during the off season. You only have to look at the NFL which is going through the same thing at the moment. It is only 2 months before the proper NFL season starts and there is still no agreement between the owners and players. Hopefully for both the NFL and NBA wiser heads prevail and we have both sports playing a full season otherwise it becomes a farce!

7. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

FFS what a joke.

This is what the AFL wants to become, and the recent moves by the AFLPA aren't helping much.

8. blankmc

blankmc New Member

its a whole different thing comparing AFL to NBA.
    firstly the NBA is making so much more money then the AFL
    secondly its private ownership and this is where the players have an advantage because the owners will lose money if they cannot come to an agreement

9. Rex_Go_36ers

Rex_Go_36ers New Member

What does this "lockout" mean?

10. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Rex_Go_36ers on July 1, 2011, 19:07
    What does this "lockout" mean? </blockquote>

Basically means they're arguing over how the money generated from the game is divided up, and they won't play any games until they work it all out.

NBA players get more than 50&#37; of the revenue, compared to AFL players that get about 25&#37;... big difference!