Matt Bate

Discussion in 'AFL' started by FixEmUp, Feb 28, 2012.

1. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

Picked up the most touches on Saturday in both games and appears to be having a good pre season from all reports.

He's probably considered a mid pricer this year, but if he keeps up this form at 294K he could very well prove to be one of the value picks of the year.

Thoughts?

2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

He has been in and out of my team, but I think he will end up out.

Need to keep watching him throughout the preseason games. But yeah, he could be excellent value - problem is there are about 6 midpricers in fwd's who may warrant selection. Can't have them all.

3. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Or you could go a rookie and pocket/spend 200k.
    I can see him going to 400k and no more. Depends on strategy but warning mid price bells are sounding all around him.

4. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Whilst $294k is value for a player who could potentially score highly, for that initial outlay you would really want him to be finishing amongst the top 7 or 8 forwards by the end of the year. I can't see him finishing above Pavlich, Franklin, Fyfe, Goodes, Johnson, Martin or even Riewoldt or potentially Brown.

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

An emphatic no from me.

X Mid price

X Melbourne Premium (bar Grimes)

Go with a rookie

6. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, sadly I agree with the AngryAnt. I want Bate to do well, and hey, in draft leagues, he represents great value.

But priced at 54, you're really going to want him to average 90+ and be a keeper.

That said, if he keeps playing like he did on the weekend, maybe he will.

7. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

The problem with the "go with a rookie" line of thinking is which rookie? So far the forward rookies haven't delivered solid enough performances to consider for a starting position on the field.

8. Lucas

Let's wait a few more matches AA

9. lezyeoh

lezyeoh New Member

He's currently sitting in mine, but only because the fwd rookies have been thin so far...
    As Lucas says...I'm waiting for a few more matches before I can make my decision.

He's either going to be in, or I'm gonna have to re jig and have more prem fwds. (assuming not more fwd rookies come about.

10. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Am I the only one that isn't that impressed with Bate? Akwardly priced and as Walesy said would need to average 90 odd to warrant keeping. I would much rather Brown or AC for similar money, or even porps with some change.

11. whips

whips New Member

I'm with you NTS. Each year I rate him as a player until he disappoints through the year - and that's most years.
    His high disposal rate in the NAB was attained running off K Hunt.
    I'd rather take a punt on a break out year from someone who gets a regular game in the best 22.

12. Lucas

I hope everyone jumps on, he's a POD that I don't need.
    Will be more than happy to say "I WAS WRONG" later in the year, but think a 90% chance of that not happening.

13. LiQuiD_SiXx

LiQuiD_SiXx Active Member

He is in my lineup currently, but to be honest which player hasn't been there at one time or another. He gets a spot purely for team balance at the moment and the current lack of good forward rookies. If another forward rookie happens to step up then I have an extra $180k to up some premiums to elites

14. anthak

as of last night, he is back in my team... same as L6. for team balance really. but i could down him to a rookie, and up someone like JB or Sidebottom to a better player. gotta work it out still.
    And everyone keeps talking about how there arent many good rookie fwds. I have quite a few that are on my watchlist, that im considering putting in - based on the remainder of preseason... not as many as other lines, but still a few there, that ppl dont seem to be giving much credit.

15. lezyeoh

lezyeoh New Member

Whips, to be honest, most of his possessions were in congestion around the contest. He rarely got the ball in "open" space running off anyone.

16. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Problem with the fwd rookies is there may be a few around, but not many that seem like they will score well (i.e. run through the midfield) like the Mzungu or I Smith of last year.

With Brown going down now I think we'll need to have some fwd rookies to step up! With Porps now at F6 not F7.

17. anthak

<blockquote>Quote from anthak on February 29, 2012, 10:59
    as of last night, he is back in my team... same as L6. for team balance really. but i could down him to a rookie, and up someone like JB or Sidebottom to a better player. gotta work it out still.
    </blockquote>
    JB certainly helped with this decision today. Team looks much better now.

18. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

Dont think he has to ave 90 or be a keeper to be worth getting. Priced at 54, I think a 30 pt increase is quite possible and generates plenty of cash. What are rookies priced at? ~30? Rookies that ave 70 or 80 dont always come along.

Personally I've always rated Bate as a player and from all reports Neeld has been very keen from day 1 to say he is in their best 22. I think he hasnt been used well in the past and this could be the year he reaches his potential.

On the other hand I think there are a few players at Melb that could potentially increase this year. Its a matter of picking the right ones coz you know they all wont.

19. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Jonathan Patton (most expensive rookie) has a starting salary of 196k which is equivalent to an average of 36 SC points per game.

Rookies at around the &#36;113k mark roughly have a start price equivalent to an average of 20 SC points per game.

20. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Useful info Jason, but isn't it also true that many rookies who perform above these points over their first 3 games then have a negative break even (in effect a credit)? As a general rule of thumb, the lower the starting price, the lower the break even?