NAB cup 2013

Discussion in 'AFL' started by HOLKY, Oct 22, 2012.

1. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

I am making this page for anyone suggeting changes or commenting about the NAB cup.
    An idea I have is to get country footy teams and AFL and state teams to play off in an FA cup style competition. Of course if a player plays for multiple teams e.g. Geelong and Geelong VFL they pick which team.

2. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

I agree with this concept Holky - I've been thinking the AFL needs to do something like this for years, to increase interest in state leagues (VFL, WAFL, SANFL, NSWFL, QAFL, and the NT and Tassie leagues - whatever they're known as). I don't agree with country leagues, as the difference between them and a professional AFL team will simply be too much!

Currently the AFL has 24 rounds with 18 teams. The fairest competition is that each team plays each other only once, but then you miss out on some blockbuster games (derbys, showdowns, Pies-Dons, etc), so you'll have to include three rounds of these per year to make sure every team gets their share. So now we have 20 weeks of the AFL's desired 24 weeks covered.

To fill the next four weeks you have a knockout style competition between the AFL clubs and the best state-league clubs from each state. Unfortunately four weeks is only 16 teams beginning the competition, so we do away with the silly NAB cup and extend this to 5 weeks (32 starting teams) spread across the season (prior to round one, then take a break from the regular season every 4 rounds or so), and we can still keep the silly byes in the regular season if the AFL wants those too.

So anyway, 32 teams start out. 18 AFL teams plus the two grand finalists from the previous year in each of the above mentioned state leagues (thats 14 more teams, a total of 32). Simple lottery system where names get drawn to see who plays who - no favourtism for AFL or non-AFL teams. winners progress, losers get knocked out. For the next round, same lottery system again, 16 teams left, with 8 winners progressing through to round 3. Once again, same lottery system, winning four teams through to round 4. Once again, lottery system, winning two teams progress to round five - the grand final. Game to be hosted in a different state each year.

Obviously its almost certain that an AFL team will win this, but atleast there'll be more interest in the 14 teams from state leagues, and hopefully this will extend to the general public being more interested in their state league teams!

3. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

It'll add a bit of interest to games where someone plays against either their own state team or AFL team.

4. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

I just want to see if GWS will even beat Manangatang.

5. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

Love this idea guys. It'd be very interesting. Imagine the embarrassment of a Collingwood losing to say, Glenelg!!

6. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Test

7. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Testing, 1 2 3 :D

8. Popey

Popey Member

Oh no!!! Is there no quick reply?! Damn!! I basically only used quick reply! TESTING!!!

9. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Popey wrote: Oh no!!! Is there no quick reply?! Damn!! I basically only used quick reply! TESTING!!! /Portals/0/Logo.png

10. G-Train

G-Train Member

THIS IS A DRILL. ALL FURTHER POST ARE TO BE TAKEN AS SERIOUS.

TAP DAT ASS, SLAP DAT ASS, SWIM IN THE POOL AND OVERLAP DAT ASS.

Friday, 21 December 2012

Beams ? Swan

11. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Just testing the quick reply feature on my tablet - having a couple of problems with it :(