nab cup rookies

Discussion in 'AFL' started by teraferma, Feb 16, 2012.

1. teraferma

teraferma New Member

would like to talk about rookie players and second year players ie-pre seasons and NAB cup proformances

2. teraferma

teraferma New Member

thank god the footy starts tonight will be good to have a look at potential rookies for the start of the season....!

3. Try chucking a question out there or some stats for people to discuss, just to start the discussion off. A few that I'll be watching tonight, if I can find a stream, will be Morris, Ellis and although not a rookie Goldy as well

4. whips

whips New Member

There's a few I'll be watching who played NAB last year but didn't get a chance to display their talents in the regular season.
    After a year in the system they might be ready to show something but they don't carry the hype of the latest draftees.
    e.g. Schneider(Haw), Simpkin(Geel), Michie(Fre), Derickx(Ric).
    There'll be a few others.

5. teraferma

teraferma New Member

did any one get a look at the rookies that played in tonights games if so any thorts?

6. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Gibson a lock if he gets promoted it seems. Ellis and Morris looked ok.

Need to see all 3 again next week I think.

7. kitkat

kitkat New Member

Webberley got quite a bit of the ball too vs Hawks, 3rd year player and rookie priced anyone interested? Can anyone shed any light on what happened to him last year? His scores were dismal especially since he had a promising first year in 2010.

8. patash

patash New Member

i really liked gibson but only if he gets promoted of course, i also notice a lot of times during the hawks v tigs game rich had an open 50, and seemed to have runners running towards goal rather than at the player kicking it, seemed to work ok? thoughts?? also jordan lewis looked sharp, ellis and morris seemed to do well but need to see a few more games first, would of been good to see a bit more of patch adams but alas he got knocked out again

9. demonspud

demonspud Member

Well Grima is out of my team now, was looking promising. Gibson good, though will now get extra attention and won't be so unique, he was pretty quiet on the boards.
    Morris and Ellis fighting for a spot, so be interesting to see who gets field time. Adams? Missing, Conca conkered him, finger hovering over 'T'

10. Does anyone know where I can get the TOG stats from last night?

11. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

kitkat - Webberley last year was, in all bar one or two of his games, the substitute.

12. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I've had BBQ in my thoughts for a while, which prompted me to do a bit of research on him.
    Chris is right that he was sub in all but 1 of his 5 games last year. Which is why his ave is down, and why his starting price is down also.

Like you kitkat, I had thought he had a good rookie year, but after checking, I found that he only averaged 58 points that year.

I also thought he would be bigger, stronger, fitter etc as it's his 3rd year. But turns out he is only 78kg (182cm tall) which may be bigger than what he was - I'm not sure - but it's not real big still.

Apparently he played really well in the VFL last year, and he did well on Friday night, so he is still on my shortlist, but I reckon there are better options atm - even at the Tigers. Can't have 4 Tiger defenders in the one team ;)

13. kitkat

kitkat New Member

@anthak & chriss88 thanks for the info guys, will definitely be following him through the rest of the nab as he's made it on to my watch list after that game.

14. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

I'm currently thinking the same way Corks! There are about 10 rookie kids we've seen so far who could produce good options. The same with the backline. The forwards on the other hand are looking pretty scarce... Zorko injured, treloar didn't play, hampton ok-but patchy, yet to see pfifer or Rowe.

15. bfish

bfish New Member

Corks
    Keep an eye on Brown from the Crows. Played most of last year in the SANFL for Norwood.

16. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Damn I got Zorko ! Who can replace him on SC?

17. spud

spud New Member

Loving the look of Weedon at the minute - kicks rather than handballs, and seems to love his tackling. Also snuck a couple of goals as well.

18. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Thanks! Will take a look! Been moving my players a lot this NAB Cup. Injury is a bitch!

Edit: Weedon v Cameron who would you pick?

19. BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer New Member

Hasnt had a run yet...but the Lions have young Docherty for a D/M. Rumours are he could shine. Will see next week

20. grav

grav Guest

Was keeping an eye on koby Stevens, think I will pass though as he obviously had his legs amputated in the pre season!
    @Gonaddz Would have to think that Cameron would get more games, but LeCras has left a hole for Weedon to fall into.