ORFFA Rising Star Award?

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by dmandrews, Mar 15, 2014.

1. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

With the successful introduction of the Les W. Medal last season, won narrowly by GAJ from Watson, Pendles and Swan I wanted to check if there was any interest in an award for the ORFFA Rising Star.

If there is interest there would need to be some discussion about eligibility for the award and the voting process. My suggestion for the voting is that at the conclusion of the ORFFA Home and Away season the 18 ORFFA coaches give votes to five eligible players from the ORFFA on a 5,4,3,2,1 basis for their performances in the ORFFA during that season. Coaches would not be able to vote for players from their ORFFA club meaning the maximum votes a player could receive would be 17 x 5 = 85.

The criteria for eligibility could consist of two elements, age and games played. The criteria for the AFL Rising Star Award is for the player to be Under the age of 21 at January 1 of that year and must not have played more than 10 games to the start of that season.”

If we decide to have an ORFFA Rising star award we could adopt the same criteria as the AFL or tweak it a bit.

Let me know your thoughts on having an ORRFA Rising Star Award, if it gets the go ahead we can change the name, I would be happy to prepare a post with a write-up on the leading ORFFA Rising Star contenders at the mid-season break and the end of the Home and Away season, and tally the votes at the end of the season.

2. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Really like the idea, nice thinking! Forgot to mention there is no chance I am going to have time to do the Les.W this year, VCE has started and the workload has lifted largely, not going to have time to do it this year it doesnt seem.

3. dmandrews

Fitzy wrote:
    Really like the idea, nice thinking! Forgot to mention there is no chance I am going to have time to do the Les.W this year, VCE has started and the workload has lifted largely, not going to have time to do it this year it doesnt seem. Thanks Fitzy. VCE has to take priority for you. I can tally the votes and prepare posts relating to the Les W Medal. Good luck with your VCE.

4. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

An excellent suggestion Dean, has my support for sure

5. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Jack Martin = 3 votes. Bwaaaaaaahahaha!

6. Len

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    Jack Martin = 3 votes. Bwaaaaaaahahaha! How long before that market gets completely re-written.... Hope the kid is ok though.

7. snoz

snoz Moderator

..........how long did I wait for that 1st pick? Four/five months......UGH....pop goes the shoulder!

8. graeme

graeme Guest

A nice idea Andy - the chance of me being able to make a sensible season wide vote that subjectively ranks eligible players is likely to be remote. If we agree to have such an award perhaps it could be more objective as a sub-category of the Les W Medal?

9. Len

Simonoz wrote:
    ..........how long did I wait for that 1st pick? Four/five months......UGH....pop goes the shoulder! That is crap luck mate, it didn't seem to be a bad one at least.

10. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Len wrote:
    Simonoz wrote:
    ..........how long did I wait for that 1st pick? Four/five months......UGH....pop goes the shoulder! That is crap luck mate, it didn't seem to be a bad one at least. Mark Stevens on game day this morning said it was a slight dislocation of shoulder which is a re-occuring problem. Suns likely to play it safe and get surgery, meaning around 3 months out. Well, thats what he said anyway.

11. dmandrews

chels wrote:
    A nice idea Andy - the chance of me being able to make a sensible season wide vote that subjectively ranks eligible players is likely to be remote. If we agree to have such an award perhaps it could be more objective as a sub-category of the Les W Medal? <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;]If people agree to the award, when listing the 2014 Les W. Medal votes I will put (RS) after the name of players that are eligible for the Rising Star Award. During the mid-season break and at the end of the season I will list the ORFFA games played, Les W. Medal votes received,total SC points,and average SC points per game for each player eligible for the Rising Star Award. <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;]I had a lookback at how players who would have been eligible for an ORFFARising Star Award in 2013 polled in the Les W. Medal Award and have listed the top five below: <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10pt;]2013 Les W. Medal - Top 5 polling Rising Stars <p style='margin-bottom: 0pt;]10 J O'Meara Nunawading Nuffers <p style='margin-bottom: 0pt;]8 O Wines Whitsunday Warriors <p style='margin-bottom: 0pt;]5 N Vlastuin Cradle Mountain Devils <p style='margin-bottom: 0pt;]4 S Mayes Wagga Wagga Wombats <p style='margin-bottom: 0pt;]4 T Mitchell Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles <p style='margin-bottom: 0pt;] <p style='margin-bottom: 0pt;]
    Given the low vote tally for the Rising Stars my concern is that the if the award was based solely on Les W. Medal votes it could be weighted too heavily towards a player who has an outstanding few games compared to a player that is more consistent throughout the season but doesn't have as many vote catching games.

One of the noticeable things from the list above is that Brad Crouch is not included in the top five and Crouch is exactly the type of consistent player I am referring to. The ORFFA Home and Away season ran between Rounds 1 and 10 & Rounds 14 and 20 of the AFL season. During these rounds BradCrouch played 10 games in the AFL, scoring in order 85,50,83,114,76,93,77,100,101 and 104 to average an exceptional 88.3 points per game, Brad was remarkably consistent as highlighted by eight scores between 76 and 104. Normally scores of 105 plus will be required to feature in the Les W. Medal votes and Crouch only reached this level once. I don't know exactly how many games Brad Crouch played for Waikikamoocow in the ORFFA last season however I am confident thathe played the vast majority. Brad Crouch wasn't in the top five above howeverin the 2013 AFL Rising Star Award based more on consistency he finished secondon 31 votes, behind O'Meara on 44 and ahead of Wines on 26.

If the ORFFA Rising Star Award was based on Les W. Medal votes I would expect that three or four of the top five would be the same as if all ORFFA coaches voted on a 5,4,3,2,1 basis, however I think using the Les W. Medal votes wouldn'tsufficiently recognise players thatregularly score 80 plus pointsbut don't have as high a ceiling as some of their Rising Star rivals.

12. TerryinBangkok

Thank you Dean - for offering and for obviously giving this some thought. Personally, I think votes 1-5 is a bit much for the walesy award. 1-3 ought to be sufficient for the number of players we each have. By that I mean each team nominates 1-3. Dean then tallies these and decides on nominees for each game (from this list of 6). Anyone doesn't nominate, Dean takes the 3 highest scores from that team. Now, if we had this system, it would not be too much of a stretch to add a 4th, being RS nomination. Dean then decides between the two nominees who gets the nod, based on contribution, points, winning team, length of mullet, etc. Rather than debate the issue until Christmas, I suggest we go with this, unless someone can come up with something clearly superior, or unless Dean prefers to do it another way. Man has the final say.

13. J_C

J_C Guest

I like the original suggestion of just voting on it at the end of the year, and not being able to vote for someone from your own team.

14. Len

JC wrote:
    I like the original suggestion of just voting on it at the end of the year, and not being able to vote for someone from your own team. I like it too, no extra effort just some reflection at the end of the year. With the Les Wales, Dean are you wanting us to tally scores, are you looking to do it yourself from the FA results sheet or? Agree 100% with Terry, we need to nail this now rather then be discussing it for ages :)

15. grav

grav Guest

Len wrote:
    JC wrote:
    I like the original suggestion of just voting on it at the end of the year, and not being able to vote for someone from your own team. I like it too, no extra effort just some reflection at the end of the year. With the Les Wales, Dean are you wanting us to tally scores, are you looking to do it yourself from the FA results sheet or? Agree 100% with Terry, we need to nail this now rather then be discussing it for ages :) simplicity rules for me.

16. TerryinBangkok

Happy to go with the flow (which is unusual for me). I was trying to get across two messages (1) after the event, who cares? (really), where is the suspense, build up and final accolation? (2) I see a future where all this will be easier and done on the tsleagues (which would mean weekly votes).

17. dmandrews

Len wrote:
    JC wrote:
    I like the original suggestion of just voting on it at the end of the year, and not being able to vote for someone from your own team. I like it too, no extra effort just some reflection at the end of the year. With the Les Wales, Dean are you wanting us to tally scores, are you looking to do it yourself from the FA results sheet or? Agree 100% with Terry, we need to nail this now rather then be discussing it for ages :) Len, I will get the Les W Medal votes from the ts Leagues results sheet. The plan is to post the Les W Medal votes in a thread withhin 30 hours of the end of each round and also update the leader board each round. Voting each round for the Rising Star award doesn't work as well as the Les W Medal due to the variation in the number of RS's playing in each match, some games will have no players eligible for the Rising Star taking part, whilst other matches could have 5 or 6. During the mid-season break with no matches being played we will obviously focused on the mid-season draft and trade period, however I think the progress of Rising Star eligible players to that point of the season will also provide a great discussion point.

18. graeme

graeme Guest

Andy, don't you trust early season votes for the rising star? A potential problem is that weaker teams present more opportunities for 'rising stars.' For example last year a vote would have made Jo'M a clear winner, while one could argue B Crouch and T Mitch had more than one consistent strong performer (SOG for O'M) to contend with.

19. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Len wrote:
    JC wrote:
    I like the original suggestion of just voting on it at the end of the year, and not being able to vote for someone from your own team. I like it too, no extra effort just some reflection at the end of the year. With the Les Wales, Dean are you wanting us to tally scores, are you looking to do it yourself from the FA results sheet or? Agree 100% with Terry, we need to nail this now rather then be discussing it for ages :) I love this comment Len :)

20. TerryinBangkok

I don't love your comment Len. Grudging affection perhaps. But I will say this, and say it loudly so it reaches across the pond. Dean is doing the LWM and the RS, not Andy. Pay attention and try not to let the geriatrics down again. When we set this up, I let Fitzy run with the way he wanted to do it. I didn't understand it, but figured it would clarify over time. It did. The time for helpful comments and suggestions, including mine, is over and Dean goes with how he wants it done.