ORFFA Round 14 Review

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Lenny120, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Lenny120

Lenny120 Well-Known Member

Gariwerd Cockatoos (1414) defeated Gundagai Grasshoppers (1303)

This was the match of round 14 and had the bulk of the talk from fans and the media all week leading into the clash, with 2nd taking on 3rd, and it did not disappoint.

While the Cockatoos’ forwards were not on fire, their defence was brilliant with Hurn racking them up with support from Brayshaw and Tuohy. The engine room was led by Laird, Miller, Guthrie and Matt Crouch, each finding a lot of the footy.

For the Grasshoppers, usual suspects Oliver and Mills fired, along with an excellent effort from Charlie Curnow. Ultimately, though, they lacked the consistency around the ground compared to the Cockatoos.

Gundagai now have a mighty task of taking on the Vultures this week, while the Cockatoos take on the Uglies in two mouth-watering match-ups ahead.

Nareewillock Nuffers (909) defeated by Lovely Banks Lilacs (1133)

It’s been a tough old season for the Nuffers and it didn’t get any better on the weekend.

Fielding two donuts and only Chad Warner surpassing 100, it was always an uphill battle.

The Lilacs also fi two blokes who decided to stay home but had enough cavalry through the likes of Duncan, Peter Wright, Heeney, and a huge game from Shai Bolton to get the job done comfortably.

An important win for the Lilacs as they aim to cement a spot in the 8.

Venus Bay Vultures (1359) defeated Foul Bay Chickens (1306)

Coach Fitzy had been supremely confident his team would complete the season unbeaten, having told journalists each week his side was invincible. However, a slip up last week had his side on full alert and needing to reset this week.

Reset it did, with a strong defensive effort and a promising return to form from big man Oscar McInerney to cement their spot atop the ladder.

The Chickens can hold their heads high as they took it right up to the Vultures, but had a couple of passengers and that’s all it takes against the top team. They need to quickly dust themselves off and go again if they are to sneak into the 8.

Charlies Opening Spelunkers (1288) defeated by Wagga Wagga Wombats (1330)

It’s the question on everybody’s lips…can anybody stop the Wombats? They are the form team of the competition and are now the clear premiership favourites with the bookies.

LDU continued his hot recent form, while Rozee pulled one out the bag to lift his side over the line.

The Spelunkers can hold their heads high as they fought to stay in the contest, but their forwards let them down despite big efforts from the engine room of Merrett, Brayshaw and Bont.

Mount Beauty Uglies (1284) defeated Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles (1147)

4th spot is well and truly up for the grabs and the Uglies can sense this with a comfortable win.

Viney, Ellis and Daniel Rioli led the way for the Uglies.

For the Incorrigibles, they had more players notch up hundreds, but they carried too many passengers which ultimately proved their downfall.

Both teams still very well poised and they prime themselves for finals footy.

Whitsunday Warriors (1238) defeated Iron Knob Codpieces (1100)

It was a game the Warriors simply had to win, and they managed to get the chocolates comfortably in the end.

Ainsworth, Witts and Nash were the standouts for the Warriors - a must win game to stay in touch with finals.

For the Codpieces, Sinclair and Macrae led the way but they already have one eye on the draft and word is the coaching staff are spending more time eyeing off the talent pool of the future and have already written the season off.

Wineglass Bay Packers (1105) defeated Larrikin Lagoon Lefties (1017)

Talk about must-win games, and the Packers delivered albeit they will be hoping for more in the last few weeks of the season.

Hewett and Keays were excellent for the Packers, and they were unlucky with Tom Lynch going down and now expected out for a couple of weeks.

It’s been a tough year for the Lefties but they will be particularly pleased to see former number one draft pick Noah Anderson showing what he is made of as they look towards the future.

Birdsville Battlers (1330) defeated by Dunsborough Dung Beetles (1338)

Both of these sides have nothing left but pride to play for for the rest of the season, and so both teams came out all guns blazing in an end-to-end contest. Fans sure got their money’s worth.

Matt Kennedy, Cerra and McKay tried desperately late in the piece to get the Battlers over the line, but they just fell short of the Beetles who’s defence was unstoppable in this contest.

Both teams will take lots of positives from this looking to next season. Unfortunately for the Battlers, it was their 5th loss in a row in a season that has turned south quickly from a positive position.

Marble Bar Misfits (1131) defeated Cradle Mountain Devils (1090)

Last game of the round saw the Misfits take on the Devils, two teams that are vying for the 8.

It wasn’t the prettiest affair at times, but the Misfits managed to scrape over the line with the GWS brigade arguably providing the difference.

For the Devils, Pendlebury and Steele can hold their heads high but they lacked the spark to get over the finish line.

Both teams need to move on quickly as there are still any one of about 6 teams that can grab 8th position.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Great review Lenny... Spelunkers avoiding the gaze of the tanking investigators, but still managing to tank.

Anyone got a half decent forward to trade?

• Like Like x 1
  3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Lenny120!
    The Wombats certainly are on a tear! Started the season terribly bad, but rampaging home

• Like Like x 2
  4. snoz

snoz Moderator

Gundagai now have a mighty task of taking on the Vultures this week, while the Cockatoos take on the Uglies in twomouth-watering match-ups ahead.-watering match-ups ahead.””””

Thanks Lenny ! Great review !
    This week is gonna hurt. Half the team are with me here down the Jersey Shore all beat up. But the beers are flowing…..

• Like Like x 4
  5. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Great work - but can't help wondering what city it was written in.

• Like Like x 3
  6. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Nice work @Lenny120 - you could be excused for the thinking the cows were a bus company based on the number of passengers we are carrying. Quite nostalgic to see Titch, Fyfe, Brouch, Menegola, Newy, and Prestia all on the field at the same time - even if their average age is approaching 30. Just need the Gov back and we'll have that number beaten.

Hope the TdeF is going well for you @HeavyMen - @bama has done your club proud with some very astute drafting.

• Like Like x 4
  7. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Love it @Lenny120
    It’s an honourable loss given we had two donuts and half a ruck. Will take four figures any day with that line up.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lenny120

Lenny120 Well-Known Member

In a town called Whitby, north UK…very warm and sunny you will all be pleased to hear

• Like Like x 4
  9. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Excellent work Lenny :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Just catching up on some recent reviews. Some lovely work Lenny & dm :)
    Can only imagine the can sales from a finals series for the Ugly mob.
    Life is Good :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. anthak

top 4 all playing each other this coming weekend.

Im up against @bama and it got me thinking about a trade Bama and I did back in 2015.
    There were other parts to the trade, but essentially I acquired Chad Wingard for PSD pick 23. I knew I traded Wingard from Bama but I couldnt remember what for, which is why I was interested to see if Bama did well out of that trade or not, because Wingard has kinda flopped as he isnt even in my best 15 at present, even when fit.
    Took me a while to find the thread of our 2015 PSD because we ran that draft in the blog section rather than the forum. I noticed that someone even suggested at the time that we do the draft in the chat, which Im glad we didnt because the archive wouldve been lost for sure.
    Anyway, that draft can be found here: http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/2015-orffa-pre-season-draft.7475/
    And Bama drafted Brayden Maynard with pick 23, who is smashing it now, so safe to say Bama won that trade.

Should be a good game this weekend

• Like Like x 3
  13. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Yeah, probably the worst game the Nuffers have had for the year. Two late withdrawals, no real emergencies, two injuries during the game, pretty much running around with 10 guys.

Of course we are supremely confident in taking on Gundagai this coming weekend. :(

• Like Like x 2
  14. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Cockies vs Vultures = game of the round.

• Like Like x 1
  15. anthak

Oh, I thought I was playing the Uglies!
    You are right though.
    I expect the Vultures will smash us

• Like Like x 1