ORFFA Round 15 Review

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, Jul 28, 2016.

By Len on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:19 AM
  1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Courtesy of @snoz

HOPPERS 1336 defeat WAIKIKAOOCOW 1001

We win, we win, we win………I mean, the Hoppers win (this is an unbiased review of course) in resounding

fashion against their North Island ally. Fat Rocky again was in huge form (154) for the Hoppers, with the whole

midfield stepping up: Adams 100, Cripps 137 & Neale 109. Throw in a lazy 109 by big man Brodie Grundy & the Hops

potentially have their highest score for the season. For the Moo Cows, not sure if the Choirboys pregame entertainment

had them holding their ears throughout the game, but both McVeigh & Howe in defense failed to run out for the start

leaving them two men down. Throw in stinkers by Titch 81 & Hanners 76 – not to mention Griffiths 40 & Paps 38 & the

moo cows were udderless. Only three time knee reco man, Menzel 120, turned up to play. The Hoppers remain in 15th

place and going nowhere, but the Cows have a struggle on their hands, locked in on 32 pts with 5 other teams vying

for finals.

WHITSUNDAY 1208 defeat the NUFFERS 1123

In a battle of middling cellar dwellers, the Warriors pulled out an 85 pt win over the Nuffers – but most likely

only because the Nuffs were munching on two donuts. The Warriors were led by old man Birch 106, while Boak 101 & surprise

high MSD pick Sam Gray 105 were really the only two standouts. The Nuffs were weakened by two non-starters in the middle,

with only McKenzie available on the bench (48) – and once again, Charlie “I have all the talent in the world but I’m made of balsa wood’

Dixon was a non-starter. If not for Kade Simpson 125, Taylor Hunt 111 & JPK 127 this could’ve got ugly.

Both teams languish in 13th & 14th position on the ladder and will be setting their sights on 2017 for a rebound season.

GUIM 1342 defeat the UGLIES 1322

An absolute cracker of a game, with the Guim just getting over the line by 20 pts in a squeaker that has both teams

primed for a finals run. Chris’s mob have now won 5 in a row to charge into 6th place – joining the log jam of the 32pt teams.

Rance 100 & May 121 were tireless in defense, Coniglio 106, Newnes 109 & Tyson 104 roamed free thru the middle, while

Walters 124 and ‘who saw this coming - not the Hoops coach that’s for sure’ Lyons 96 was once again everywhere in front

of the goals. The Uglies really didn’t put a foot wrong – Steele 105 was magical, the bearded one Gawn 128 was again a dominant

force, Dusty 114, NRoo 101 & even ‘tracca 101 were all over the forward line. Maynard 92 & KK 74 were the only defenders to step

up – its probably where the Uglies ended up losing the game. They remain in 4th position at 10-5 and are all set for the finals, just

need a few to step up.

PACKERS 1138 defeated by CHICKENS 1377

Not exactly a fair fight, where 1st place faced off with the 17th placed Wine Bay Packers – who tried in vain but just couldn’t

stop the onslaught. With beard-Bartel 130 belying his age in defense, Danger 111 & Jelwood 128 again playing keepings off

in the middle, Mummy 100 was a mofo in the ruck with 100 and Hawkins back on track in his up & down season in front of the

sticks with 112. Special mention to Sam Day 120, who is really starting to shine for the Chooks. The Packers had Demptser 129

in defense playing a solo hand, Scully 119 & Mundy 100 trying to curb the Geelong boys in the middle, but Daw 43 failed

to fire in the ruck, although he remains a magnificent specimen of a man. Tom Lynch 126 again showed just how damn

good he is in the forward line with 126 – but Fasolo 21, Kerridge 45 & Matera 62 need to hang their heads – no wine for you !

The Chooks remain in 1st place with only the Lefties capable of catching them. The Packers continue to struggle, but there

is some really good young talent there – 2017/18 beckon.

WOMBATS 1266 defeat SPELUNKERS 0

Ummmm…………….WTF??!!!! The Wombats get a walkover agst the Spelunkers who failed to show up for the game.

Rumor has it that for a laugh, they attended the Republican Convention last week in the States to listen to Trump et al,

and laughed so hard, and drank so much at the potential demise of all US Citizens – that they failed to make their plane

and went sight-seeing in the Grand Canyon instead. Its either that or they are just chicken – but we have those at the top of

the table so it has to be the RNC. The Wombats were led by Gibbs 148, Lycett 116, M Jones 105 & Lindsay ‘UGH’ Thomas 104

and are in 8th place on the ladder in a dog fight with the five other 32 pt teams for the finals. The Spelunkers are in 11th place

at 6-8-1 but are under investigation for tanking.

BATTLERS 1168 defeated by COCKATOOS 1172

Four bloody points! That’s it……..1/2 a kick, maybe an errant handball, one measly mark. This adds to our 32 pt teams, with

both the Battlers & the Cockies sitting in 10th & 7th place on the ladder respectively – but tied with 4 other teams to get into

the finals. The Cockies had no defense, but were led by Jack bloody Steven 150, Touk seriously? Miller 112 & Mouch 101.

Sadly they lost young Wallis 48 midway thru the game, who will now have to learn to kick with his other leg. Enright 136 led the way

for the Battlers, backed up by Treloar 103 & big Ben 76 – but ugh that forward line: Lloyd 36 & Maybe 52. Both teams have a good

shot at the finals – its going to be beauty watching the last few games.

CRADLE MOUNTAIN 1166 defeat the LILACS 965

Two mediocre teams, with one more mediocre than the other…….the Devils run out unconvincing winners in this lackluster

affair to remain in 12th position on the ladder, but honestly going nowhere and zero shot at finals. Pendles 115 is always

thereabouts, Roughead in the ruck 101 has been a revelation and the Zork-meister continues his strong season 113.

Million Dollar spud Tom Boyd 33 is quite meh if you ask me though. Donuts & holes fill the Lilacs with their young squad

more primed for 2018. J Trengrove 106 was the lone defender to stand up, the midfield was horrific – 70/87/73….I’m not

even going to mention names….along with a 2nd donut to join the defensive donut. Youngsters 2meterPeter 101 & Heeney 77

will stand this forward lie for years to come however.

IRON KNOB 1168 defeat MARBLE BAR 1129

A very unconvincing win by the third place Cods, who seem to be coasting into the finals knowing they can only fall to fourth.

Burgoyne 109 & young Macrae 111 were superb, while the midfield of Robbie Gray 109, Shuey 130 & Hanley 100 did enough to sneak

a win. Poor Jack Darling continues to hold down the ruck spot, but half a Darling 38 is not going to get it done down the road.

For the Misfits, the tag less Rich 113 again shone – I mean seriously, tag the bastard will ya……Ward 90, Kelly 90, Dunstan 92 were

solid in the middle without shining, Weller 61 looks tired, Devon Smith 102 was a lone force but Bruce 21 was putrid. The MBM’s

are in 16th place with only a few games to go – and will need to reassess this list going into the PSD of 2017.

LEFTIES 1349 defeat the VULTURES 1336

2 plays 5 and we have a cracker of a game, with the 2nd year power house Lefties eeeeeeeeeking out a 13 pt win over

the fifth placed Vultures. Venus Bay remain in the log jam of the 32 pointers, but are coming into the pointy end of the

season very strong, and if they make, will cause some carcasses to be devoured. The Lefties just have it all – which is kinda

weird cos lefties are generally a little out there. Gibbo 117 & Haynes 101 were rocks in defense, Smitch 134, Priddis 134 & Goddard 152

were running their wheel chairs all over the middle of the ground, a tired Goldy 87 kept tripping over the tire tracks of the chairs

and an out of breath Wells 105 coughed & spluttered their forward line, although some phlegm seems to have fallen on Schultz 21

& Monty 65. The young Vultures did everything they could: Doc 112 & Pittard 121 held their end of the ground, Lukey Parker dodged

the wheelchairs of the Lefties to rack up 112 & Stef Martin was everywhere for 162. If fragile Lids plays instead of Ah Chee 46, the result

would have gone the other way. Both teams primed to kill a chook in the finals.

• Like Like x 5

Comments

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, Jul 28, 2016.

1. chris88
      chris88
      Sublime work snoz. That logjam of teams on 8-7 is, I think, unprecedented in ORFFA history this late in the season. Going to be a couple of pretty unlucky teams come the end of the last round.
      • Like Like x 1
    2. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      Badda bing, badda boom!
      Cracker snoz.
      Love the phelgm.
      Sargent will need to find some form (and a pet monkey to lick his body clean) if the Lefties are to have any chance come finals time.

btw does anyone know if Scooter is still alive? He's not responding to any of my texts.
      • Like Like x 1
    3. graeme
      graeme
      Nice effort snooze, who woulda known you had this kinda talent given your ORFFA performance. Oh, you beat us this week? Is that right? First time for everything my friend. And for our older viewers "my ears still ring, chugga lug, chugga lug."
    4. anthak
      anthak
      nice work snoz! thanks for the write up.

@JC great game mate - so close! and moves us to equal points.
      • Like Like x 1
    5. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Well done yank.

Coincidentally, I will be alighting from the train tomorrow at Nunawading Station and will be sure to tips me lid to the Nuffers.
    6. melbandy
      melbandy
      What time? I'll get the Nuffettes to wave their pom poms at ya.
      • Like Like x 1
    7. JC
      JC
      Nice work, @snoz . Old man Enright keeps getting it done, what a marvel he is. Shame the fwd end of the ground can't follow his lead. Thanks for a great contest @anthak . Would've been a lucky win if I'd got up though, so I reckon that result was fair enough. ☺
      • Like Like x 1