ORFFA Round 16 Review

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, Aug 2, 2016.

By Len on Aug 2, 2016 at 6:46 PM
  1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

With many thanks to @Lenny120

ORFFA ROUND 16 REVIEW

*Big thanks to Walsey for all his work with the ORFFA*

Nunawading (1152) def by Gundagai (1297)

Although an irrelevant game in terms of shaping the top eight, there’s nothing like taking winning confidence into next season. The Grasshoppers have now won two on the trot and look like they are finally starting to piece the puzzle together. Led by a dominant midfield of Adams (123), Cripps (118) and Neale (112), Gundagai comfortably beat the Nuffers, who didn’t get enough from their lower tier players despite a great effort from JPK (137). A win against the Lilacs this week could see Gundagai finish as high as 11th, whilst the Nuffers close out the season against Cradle Mountain.

Mount Beauty (1229) def Waikikamoocow (869)

Mount Beauty has been very impressive all year and this week was no different, easily defeating the injury ravaged Incorrigibles. Led by Sidebottom (108) and Gawn (108), the Uglies are sitting very nicely in third position going into the last round and now have a crucial game against Iron Knob to determine third and fourth positions. For the Incorrigibles, Hannebery (144) starred. However, barring a miracle, they are now out of the finals running and will have their eye firmly on 2017.

Foul Bay (1340) def Whitsunday (1301)

Not many fans turned up to watch this one, with the Foul Bay faithful just counting down the days until finals and expecting a routine victory here. It was the opposite, as the Warriors almost caused a shock upset, going down by just 39 points. Nonetheless, the Chooks are looking as ominous as ever with top spot secured and just one loss for the season. Usual suspects Dangerfield (144), Shaw (129) and Bartel (100) showed their class, whilst Betts (138) scored his first ton since round 10. The Warriors were led by Wines (116) and Birchall (115) but ultimately were overpowered.

Wagga Wagga (1128) def by Darraweit Guim (1204)

In a game with big finals ramifications, the Dirigibles got the better of the Wombats in a close affair. Rance (145) was the key, with great support from Coniglio (121) and Tyson (102). Wagga Wagga was thrilled with the output of Sheed (20) and Griffen (62) after injury lay-offs, and hope they can continue their sublime form in the reserves next weekend. The Dirigibles are a big chance to snatch fifth position and are well placed going into finals. For the Wombats, it’s a showdown with the Vultures to determine eight spot, and both teams will be desperate to have a crack at finals.

Gariwerd (1222) def Wineglass Bay (1174)

It has been a stunning rise up the ladder for Gariwerd, who haven’t loss since way back in round 10. Although a slight scare this week against the bottom placed packers, they did enough to bank four points. Tuohy (108) and Polec (106) led a consistent team effort, with the Cockatoos now needing to beat Marble Bar whilst still scoring enough points to hold fifth position, which will be a tough ask. The Packers, led by the midfield brigade of Mundy (152), Sloane (141) and Scully (117), almost pulled off one of the upsets of the season. With little now to play for, the Packers won’t be sorry to secure the #1 pick in 2017.

Lovely Banks (1200) def Charlies Opening (1160)

The Lilacs were able to upset Charlies Opening to rise off the bottom of the ladder, and while doing so ensuring any glimmer of finals hope for the Spelunkers are vanished. Jackson Trengove (132) put in a rare big performance to lead Lovely Banks to their fourth win of the season. A win against the Grasshoppers will ensure they avoid the wooden spoon. For the Spelunkers, Gunston (101) was the only one to crack the ton in a rather tired performance, and coach Bandit will be looking to the draft to see where his side can improve in 2017.

Marble Bar (1131) def by Birdsville (1190)

It’s been a long season for the Misfits, but they can hold their heads high after almost scraping past Birdsville in a low scoring affair. Laird (129) and Rich (115) led a strong defensive effort, but it wasn’t enough. Marble Bar now sit 16th and could very possibly finish last, albeit unlikely. For the Battlers, they will be relieved having secured a finals spot, but have a very important game against Waikikamoocow this week, as a win could see them finish as high as fifth.

Venus Bay (1056) def by Cradle Mountain (1111)

Coach Fitzy’s spot as coach will come under severe scrutiny at the end of season review, their president has reported. Some very questionable management errors throughout the season have supporters scratching their heads. Cradle Mountain secured a comfortable win, led by big games from Stevie J (146) and Pendlebury (140). Unfortunately for the Devils, however, finals are out of the equation even with a win over the Nuffers in round 17. For the Vultures, new recruit Pittard (54) has been a terrible inclusion to their side throughout the year, but a big game from Watts (131) ensured they achieved some respectability on the score line. Fitzy will be looking firmly to this week in a match against the Wombats where anything could happen.

Larrikin Lagoon (1154) def Iron Knob (1048)

There were a few scrappy affairs this round, and this one was exactly that. However, the Lefties rolled on to 14-2 for 2016 and loom as the big challenger to Foul Bay’s glory. Despite a total of just 166 points from their backline, the Lefties midfielders Lewis (113), Goddard (109) and Priddis (102) ensured the victory. Two donuts in the forward line ended any hope for the codpieces, despite a great effort from Robbie Gray (134). The codpieces now have a significant game against the Uglies, as both teams will be vying for third position.

• Like Like x 8

Comments

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Fitzy
      Fitzy
      Yeah Pittard has been a terrible inclusion @Lenny120 , whoever got rid of him at start of season must be stoked with how he's gone downhill, mastermind move from them!
      • Like Like x 4
    2. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      Great stuff @Lenny120
      Love the self assessment sarcasm.

Lefties limping into the finals on a wing and a prayer.
      On a rare week when everything clicks we could have a chance to beat the Chooks.
      On a common week, we will struggle against any of the other 6-7 finals contenders.
      Will make opponent selection a huge raffle.

Still see the Uglies as major contenders, though I might put a sneaky Pineapple on the Blimps to sneak up and slap us all.
      #longestfarewellparty
      • Like Like x 2
    3. anthak
      anthak
      thanks @Lenny120 - great work!

I had not realised I havent lost since round 10! thanks for pointing that out. I knew I'd started the season poor.

I am so stoked to be playing in my first ORFFA finals series. It actually means a lot to me after so many near misses. Now, just watch me bow out immediately like Richmond did after overcoming their 9th place hoodoo. still happy to be there :)
      • Like Like x 4
    4. anthak
      anthak
      ive just looked it up and Darraweit Guim and Gariwerd were both on 3 and 7 after round 10. and only 27 points separated them in 'points for'

both teams have won every game since, to each move to 9 and 7. and now only 3 points separate us in 'points for'

Good work @chris88 - funny how our seasons have tracked so similarly!
      • Like Like x 4
    5. anthak
      anthak
      also, did everyone notice that... with a best on ground performance last game, Patrick Dangerfield has wrapped up the Les W medal for 2016! Pendles and Gawn can both fight it out for 2nd spot, but thats it.

Congratulations @ChiefRussell !
      • Like Like x 4
    6. HeavyMen
      HeavyMen
      Onya Beauties ! Bah .... the aptly named Knobs are no chance this week.
      Bama has a plan, a sneaky plan.........Mawhaha :)
      • Like Like x 3
    7. graeme
      graeme
      Well done @Lenny120, will be watching your and Fitzy's match up with interest. Looking for a big one from the devils to move us up another spot on the draft order. 2017 cannot arrive soon enough - at least in round one we all start off kinda level. :D
      • Like Like x 3
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    8. snoz
      snoz
      Great write up Lenny - thanks !
      (....charging into......11th spot!)
      • Like Like x 2
    9. dmandrews
      dmandrews
      @graeme , I hadn’t even considered the possibility of the Devils moving up another spot on the ladder given the points deficit to the Cows is 283, however if you are a few players short this weekend due to injury it is a chance. I hope the Cows medical staff can work some wonders allowing 15 Cows to take the field to give them a shot at getting the win this weekend. Graeme, if Waikikamoowcow can get an upset win over Birdsville with the margin being more than 78 points you will make the finals.

As for the Devils, we are happy to have registered our seventh win in 2016 to avoid having our outright worst season from a win-loss perspective - we have now tied with our seven wins in 2013. If Cradle Mountain win against Nunawading in the final Round of 2016 the Devils can’t be beaten for most mediocre team in the first five home and away seasons of the ORFFA from a win-loss perspective as their record would be 42 wins, 42 losses and 1 abandoned. From a ladder perspective the Devils are a rung below mediocre for the first 5 seasons – having finished 9th, 12th, 6th, 11th and are currently 11th with one round to play.
      • Like Like x 5
    10. Len
      Len
      Nicely done @Lenny120 it has indeed been a long season for perennial cellar dwellers the Misfits, hopefully next year our young squad is able to start delivering on promise consistently rather than in patches, grats to Birdsville on a well deserved win.
      • Like Like x 1
    11. chris88
      chris88
      It is much deserved Ant. The team has slowly built up over the past 18 months. Really good to see.

Very strange - almost complete parallels in fact!

At 3-7 it was play the kids and continue the rebuild to ensure that a good portion of that work was done before the end of the season. Still further work on the rebuild to do as well, with a few guys teetering on the brink of delistment. Mr Hrovat might get the chance to finally return from injury after having not played at all this year to prove whether he should stay on the list.

Best of luck everyone in the last round.
      • Like Like x 4
    12. graeme
      graeme
      No tanking involved, we have been hit by injuries. Two weeks ago we fielded all 13 of our players selected by afl clubs and scored 1001. Last week we could only muster 12 players and scored 869 with Sauce Jacobs' 26 points suggesting he might not be available this week. We live in hope that if he does not come up ROB will debut to allow us to field 12(?) again. It is possible that Howe, McLean and/or Griffiths might come back from injury this week - but I would not bet the house on it. So 869 + 283 = 1152 could be around the magic number for you to overtake the Cows. Finals? Just a pipe dream but we were living it until two weeks ago.
      • Like Like x 3
    13. anthak
      anthak
      you could still get there G. I hope you do after all this talk ;)
      • Like Like x 2
    14. jimbowan
      jimbowan
      Damn I probably would have won this week if I had actually edited my team post Wednesday :/

It was my birthday, so lets just say i was in a semi incoherent state most the weekend!
      • Like Like x 3
    15. graeme
      graeme
      Congrats you Leo you. Mine was the previous Saturday and the alcohol pre- and post- helped eased the pain of low ORFFA scores somewhat. :confused: Of course Fitzy and Lenny would have no idea what we are talking about!
      • Like Like x 5
    16. JC
      JC
      Get a couple back and you're every chance, @graeme . The Battlers are living on struggle street, mate, and haven't posted a decent score for a while. I'll be happy enough either way, tbh. A win (or a small loss) keeps my finals streak going, or a 78+ loss gets me a better draft pick to help with the list overhaul. Can't lose! :)
      • Like Like x 4
    17. Bandit
      Bandit
      Spelunkers doing the Richmond "we aren't tanking but we are tanking" tactics. Trying to get a mention in Boomer's book when he finally gives @chris88 the lemon and sars from Darraweit.

Worst season on record officially... the likes of Swallow and LeCras should be nervous about the upcoming trading period.
      • Like Like x 1
    18. chris88
      chris88
      It could be a case of "as Boomer goes, so do I".
      • Like Like x 2