ORFFA Round 5 Review

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, Apr 20, 2021.

By Len on Apr 20, 2021 at 12:30 AM
  1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

This is not my finest work, and I still have issues typing so please pretend there are no typos :p

Waikikamoocow (1421) vs Wagga Wagga (1002)

Cows came play, Wombats came to party..

It’s never going to be easy to beat a team with 5 players scoring over 120, Menegola 152, Dunkley 148, Parfitt 135, McGovern 130 & Fyfe 125 combined to pretty much seal the deal against a Wagga side playing a man down. Smith and Lycett stood out for Lenny who will be hoping Ridley only misses the one game and a few mids get games.

Graeme now sitting 7th with a 3/2 record with scoring returning to the more imposing type

Lenny copping his first loss with a very uncharacteristic low score for R5 will be hoping for a bounce to hold onto or advance his 5th position on the ladder

Nowhere Else (1149) vs Foul Bay (1303)

Wanderers had a highly credible 6 centurions but lined up two short with half a numpty in ruck, the Chooks had just the one big score with Ziebell’s 148 but a good even score across the rest, full compliment of players and depth in reserves highlighted the respective current status of the two squads.

Foul Bay sitting at 4 and 1 and looking certain to play & impact finals this year, aiming to prove you don’t need a team of champions to win, more a champion team.

Nowhere Else are coming out of the rebuild phase, desperate for a playing ruck and a few more games into the youth, whilst 0 and 5 they would have beaten 7 other teams this week.

Cradle Mountain (1345) vs Charlie’s Opening (1272

Tassie Titans Clash – Would hardly have been a believable playbill but with the cavemen finally emerging from their long cold winter that was how it played out. The Devils were best served by Rich, Lever, Steele, Redden, Nank and Zorko, for the Spelunkers Duggan, Bont, Merrett, Brayshaw and Darcy were highlights but Dean had a superior supporting cast and took the points.

Cradle Mountain are sitting 8th with a WLWLW pattern, very binary group that, will play finals.

Charlies Opening are now 11th at 2 and 3, not a lot of spare soldiers, but continued development in what they have will keep them well away from the bottom of the ladder.

Birdsville (1216 vs Whitsunday (1004)

Birdsville had enough in hand to overcome the handicap of a half a ruck and an Adam Cerra injury early in game. For the Port Whitsunday Warriors Boak, Wines and Dixon led the charge, JJ Kennedy had a shocker and a mediocre performance from most sealed their fate, The Battlers didn’t miss Witts or Rowbottom as much as feared and flexed their depth.

Birdsville are in the logjam sitting 8th at 3 and 2, a playing ruck would go a long way to finals.

Whitsunday sit 15th at 1 and 4, with Cameron the only player of not missing Terry will be looking for improvement in his youth and consistency in the older brigade,

Mount Beauty (1276) vs Iron Knob (1119)

Mount Beauty surfed the Beard whilst Iron Knob didn’t get De Going. The Uglies played a fwd short whilst the Knob would have loved Shuey in place of an OOP Hamill in the mids. Of those that did play, the Uglies had another 6 centurions to support Gawn with Walsh’s 144 the highlight, The Cods Macrae, Darling, Clark and Scrimshaw play well, but the supporting cast in the main couldn’t reach mediocre on a short flight.

The Uglies are now 10th at 2 and 3, 7 hundreds a week would see that improve, but their depth is replete with developing or dodgy soldiers.

The Cods are sitting 14th at 1 an4 in what is set to be a developmental year.

Venus Bay (1296) vs Marble Bar (1275)

Predicted to be the game of the round with 2 unbeaten sides playing, the Vultures overcame an early injury to Howe to win by 21 in the closest game of the round. Vultures had 5 players hit over 100, the Misfits 4. Howe’s 16 only outdone in shitiness by McDonald’s 15 sealing a home town win.

Venus Bay are flying in 2nd four points (F&A) behind Gundagai, both unbeaten pace setters.

Marble Bar sit 3rd at 4 and 1 along with four others, awaiting Sloane and Whitfield anxiously.

Larrikin Lagoon (1041) vs Wineglass Bay (1134)

Lefties were led by Markov 106, Georgiades 107 and Marshall 119 but the kids behind them couldn’t do enough to get up, especially with the handicap of ½ a Logue in ruck. Packers relied on McGrath and Mumford(!) to do the heavy lifting, their developing players doing better as a collective (Matt Kennedy aside) to get them over the line. Both teams are stacked with developing exciting youth, ones to watch in seasons to come.

Lefties are sitting 17th at 0 and 5

Packers are now in 13th at 2 and 3

Lovely Banks (1102) vs Gundagai (1426)

Like several other games this round this clash was between a fully developed side flexing it’s biceps and a team climbing out of rebuild mode, the result was essentially known before the first ball bounced. The Lilacs had Stewart (152) Duncan (133) Amon (115) and Bolton (110) stand tall whilst Wright performed honourably, ½ a Lipinski in ruck doesn’t help but the developing players mostly had an off day. Gundagai fanned out recent trade hauls while dancing to the top of the ladder, Blicavs (106) Oliver (115) McLuggage (140) Neale (157) Grundy (134) Allen (127) were all on fire, only Stringer really sucked. The rest of us are possibly playing for second this year.

The Lilacs sit 12th at 2 and 3 with plenty to look forward to.

The Hoppers sit 1st at 5 and 0 with a team almost without weakness.

Gariwerd (1029) vs Nareewillock (729)

Fair to say this game got the GWS timeslot of Saturday twilight with not a lot to see.

Gariwerd had 5 of the best 6 players onfield with Tom McDonald – 136 – Nuffers the exception, neither side had a playing ruck with the Cockies at least getting ½ a Reid. Gariwerd fielded 14 players and Nareewillock 12, both teams have been belted by injury, the cruellest being Hurn and M Crouch for the Cockies and Duursma and Rowell for the Nuffers.

Gariwerd sit 6th with 4 and 1 but will need returning troops to stay there

Nareewillock sit 18th at 0 and 5 and will be hoping for some returning players and an active MSD to grab some needed depth to get some late season wins.

• Like Like x 9

Comments

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, Apr 20, 2021.

1. snoz
      snoz
      Great stuff @Len......enjoyable read and no typos !
    2. graeme
      graeme
      An excellent read @Len - factual and to the point. It does seem that the best hope for the cows this year is to catch the NY fella having a mare in the finals. But we do need to get to the finals to have that chance - slim as it is.
    3. anthak
      anthak
      Thanks Len.
      Gariwerd lucky with the fixture this week, to score so low but still get the win.

My SuperCoach side never got De Going this week either, so I can relate to @jimbowan
      • Like Like x 2
    4. Bandit
      Bandit
      Great work @Len... Spelunkers paying the price for a piss poor PSD performance!
      • Like Like x 1
    5. graeme
      graeme
      More like a series of piss poor drafting performances :p
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Bandit
      Bandit
      It's a good distraction from the lunacy that the 'big 6' are talking about in the EPL @graeme
      • Like Like x 2
    7. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      I was very close to renaming the Nuffers to “The Bye” in TSLeagues after the second sub 800 score in 3 weeks, due of course to the Cockatoos @anthak superb defensive pressure.

The lefties @That KI Guy are the team poised to be “lucky with the fixture” in Round 6 while the Nuffers seek to avoid our 12th consecutive ORFFA loss.
      • Like Like x 3
    8. anthak
      anthak
      We do pride ourselves on our defense, but still not as good as Marble Bar and Gundagai so far this season.
      • Like Like x 1
    9. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Lunacy is indeed the right word @Bandit

I expect the Super League to fall over quickly given reports that a number of invited clubs rightly declined to join the proposed breakaway and it is clear that many coaches, players and a proportion of fans see it for what it is, owners acting in their own greedy interests.

I am actually in favour of a merit based European League where ALL teams can move in/out but the initial composition is based on current Champions League factors (or similar) and if over time the Super League 12 all qualify and avoid relegation from the Super League then so be it.
      • Like Like x 2
    10. JC
      JC
      Thanks for the write up, @Len. Since you mentioned how beneficial a playing ruck would be, you're welcome to give me one of yours. :)
      • Like Like x 3
    11. HeavyMen
      HeavyMen
      Atta Boy Len! This is what a positive (note plsTiB) review does, prints beautifully. Thank you
      Now I’m in a quandary & fearful of another clip from the master of film & prose but here goes...
      Great write up but perhaps Len ...... :) I could be the arbiter of The Uglies depth (replete indeed), dodgy soldiers (I’ll
      take em to the member’s bar to get to revitalised!!!). Just the one very small piece of constructive feedback TiB, no clip required :) :) :p
      • Like Like x 2
    12. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      Cheers mr Len.
      Great prose.
      Not sure I’m a fan of alerting all to win/loss ratios.
      I find ignorance and denial of such figures has enabled the Lefties to remain buoyant over the last 3 yrs.
      We’ll ensure all player mobiles are well secured to prevent these unsubstantiated rumours from leaking.
      • Like Like x 3
    13. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Nice right (I can do typos) up Len. The return of Jeremy is not viewed with any anticipation. At a new club he is odds on to suck, just like the rest of the Warriors.

As for the provocations from HM, I have a proposal. Should any unforeseen vacancy occur in FA, he is first on the list to adopt and coach the rudderless team. Clearly he already understands all about depth and dodgy soldiers and this would get him off to a flying start.
      • Like Like x 2
    14. HeavyMen
      HeavyMen
      I'm a bit of a back seat driver I'm afraid. Will find it extraordinarily hard to move from the can bar at the Mount or leave
      Bama with some miserable #1 replacement ticket holder who wants mixed spirits & wine served or wenches wearing tops etc etc
      I do enjoy visiting this league of reputable pensfolk though :p
      • Like Like x 4
    15. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Foul Bay are the chickens in this league.
      • Like Like x 1