ORFFA v AFL - which club are you?

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by ChiefRussell, Oct 5, 2013.

1. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

I can't remember which thread it was in, but someone (Terry I think) made a comment comparing Marble Bar to the GWS which got me thinking 'Which AFL club does your club in the ORFFA most closely resemble?'

Now it would have been easy just to tally up how many players of each team you have in your side and go from there, but we have some coaches who think outside the box on a lot of issues, so happy to throw it open to the people.

I have posted mine below.

In order to make it more difficult for myself, everyone had to be a team and a different team at that. Apologies if you don't like which team I have tagged you to, for what it is worth I hate the team that I have tagged myself to.

It was just meant to be a conversation starter because basically I am bored.

Some teams were very hard to tag a team to, so I do realise that some of these links are quite tenuous.

Without further ado....

Foul Bay (Hawthorn) - Really wish I was Geelong, but alas. Going with the Hawks because we are the current premiers, we are now purely recruiting through the trade period based on need. I think I am also a bit more disliked than Geelong so I have to be the Hawks

Iron Knob (Geelong) - Every Hawthorn needs it's Geelong. Largely successful over a long period of time based on shrewd drafting and to a lesser extent trading. When it comes to the Hawks though, can't quite win the big one.

Mount Beauty (Sydney) - I know until about a week ago, the age profile said either the Tigers, Power or Bulldogs, but then pulled off the mother of all coups by getting Riewoldt and Boyd to the club for basically nothing. In the ORFFA, that amounts to signings of Buddy and Tippett like proportions (particularly when they gave up nothing to get them). The rest of the core at the Swans is pretty young too.

Waikickamoocow (Fremantle) - Premiership window is now and for the next few years. Excellent midfield and defence. Shrewd coach who seems to extract the best out of his team while limiting the opposition's output.

Darraweit Guim (Port Adelaide) - Perhaps surprised a lot of pundits this year (including the coach) with how well they performed. The best is still to come for a fair bit of their young talent too.

Birdsville (West Coast) - Fancied quite a bit at the start of 2013, while the Battlers didn't fare as badly as the Eagles making it to preliminary final week they like the Eagles are a pretty even side across the park with a couple of stars that didn't quite reach the heights of previous years but who still have quite a bit of time on their side.

Wagga Wagga (Richmond) - Young midfield ready to do big things and a flamboyant key forward. Made it to the finals but were perhaps a bit overawed by the occassion. Will be even better in 2014 though.

Charlie's Opening (Collingwood) - Their best is very, very good but didn't get the job done in the finals this year despite being favourites, losing to a younger, hungrier Port (Darraweit). Then got rid of Heath Shaw because he allegedly has a bad attitude.

Venus Bay (Carlton) - Hyped by many in the pre-season, but showed that they are not as good as they thought they were and are just a middle of the road team at best. Now looking to get rid of as many players as they can.

Gariwerd (North Melbourne) - A season of if only......Their best was some free-flowing high scoring stuff that proved more than capable of knocking off some top sides. But ultimately, they just missed out on the eight.

Larrakin Lagoon (Essendon) - Someone had to be the Bombers....I have gone for Larrakin Lagoon because controversy has seemingly followed this franchise over the past 12 months, much like the Bombers. New ownership after a very heated falling out with the old owners and just when that got cleared up, then we had 'Tradegate', not once, but twice.

Whitsundays (Western Bulldogs) - Young, promising list that supporters are hoping will all start to fire, led by an exciting young midfield. 2014 might not be the year they make the leap, but it could be soon after.

Gundagai (St Kilda) - Had a pretty big fall from grace in 2013 now the list managers have to do a fair bit of work to get the team up and running again. Best players on the team are the elder statesmen of the club.

Powlett Plains (Brisbane) - Things looked like they were heading in the right direction in 2013 then everyone decided that they wanted to leave the club.

Cradle Mountain (Gold Coast) - Have one player on their team (Pendles) that is so much better than everyone else, a few others that are just a rung below, then some young talent that hopefully develops.

Marble Bar (GWS) - Trying to stockpile young talent while at the same time trying (unsuccessfully) to lure that big fish that will get them climbing up the ladder like we expect them to sooner rather than later.

Lovely Banks (Adelaide) - Team was hurt quite a bit by the draft penalites that they suffered this year. Have a big gun or two in the midfield, but like Tex Walker for the Crows, losing Chappy to injury for most of the year really hurt the forward line and the team never really recovered.

Nunawading (Melbourne) - Don't mind the look of their backline in 2014, but despite getting some nice draft picks are still a ways away from being competitive.

• Like Like x 1
  2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Bahahahaha. Awesome stuff CR. you've done bloody well matching everyone up!

3. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Spot on with mine CR, though it was probably the easiest pick, and as you say Terry is already calling us the GWS Misfits. I started out trying to build a balanced side in year 1, got raped by injury and changed tack completely to try and grab as much high potential youth as possible. The GWS bit, despite me being a member, is almost accidental, it is pretty much the home of potential right now, arguably more than any club in VFL/AFL history, and is therefore my bank of choice.

4. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Can't believe I am the filth even though the cap fits

5. Len

Bandit wrote:
    Can't believe I am the filth even though the cap fits I have to say mate, I'd just neck myself and be done with it :p

6. graeme

graeme Guest

Bandit wrote:
    Can't believe I am the filth even though the cap fits Could be worse Banditto, Chief gave up his favoured blues pretty quickly and added a dig which contained more than an element truth - 'not as good as they think they are' seems about right.
    Still coming to terms with being branded the dockers when Ekatahuna is land locked, but laughing aloud at the suggestion in the Hun this morning that JPod may be exactly what they need. The Waikiks' experiences with Pods suggest that someone more dynamic would be a better answer. Granting Fyfe dual midfield and forward.status would be a real fillip for the Bulls' faithful. That and McVeigh being D/M would tilt the landscape for next year a little in chels's favour.

7. Bandit

Lenh191 wrote:[span style='font-size: 10px;] I have to say mate, I'd just neck myself and be done with it :p I think I might go out and get some teeth pulled, steal a car and line up in front of the CentreLink office...

<div class='Quote' style='font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;]<em style='font-size: 10px;]chels wrote: <p style='font-size: 10px;] Could be worse Banditto, Chief gave up his favoured blues pretty quickly and added a dig which contained more than an element truth - 'not as good as they think they are' seems about right. <p style='font-size: 10px;] <p style='font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 18px;] <p style='font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 18px;]Are you saying you would prefer to be Collingwood than Carlton Chels... I think that is a little too far for me... I'd take salary rorting, glamour models and a Mediterranean dominated supporters base any day! <div>

8. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Wasn't sure who I'd be. Port sounds about right, though I have a number of the more unfashionable Richmond players in the squad. Are there Richmond players still on the FA list? Woo hoo - I can still increase my quota of Tigers!!

9. graeme

graeme Guest

Are you saying you would prefer to be Collingwood than Carlton Chels... I think that is a little too far for me... I'd take salary rorting, glamour models and a Mediterranean dominated supporters base any day!
    <div>
    Prolly right Banditto, what I would find hardest with the other choice would be having to nod my head and say things like 'Eddie's right you know' or 'He is the true prophet of the afl.'

10. J_C

J_C Guest

chels wrote:[span style='font-size: 10px;]
    Prolly right Banditto, what I would find hardest with the other choice would be having to nod my head and say things like 'Eddie's right you know' or 'He is the true prophet of the afl.' They strike me as Movementarians - 'I love the Leader'.

11. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Carlton sums me up perfectly, especially your description. Great work CR!!

12. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Geelong is nice but seems a bit undeserving seeing my 0 premierships and they have pretty much had a dynasty going. I should be the 2008-2010 St Kilda squad!

13. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Bump on the basis that CR's work of such genius should receive more attention. o_O

14. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Hopefully I've done enough to shed the Carlton tag

15. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Probably have done Fizzy, but it means some other team gets the blues' branding. Any ideas - BTW, it ain't the Cows - Freo is just perfect for us! Maybe you could inherit the Melbourne tag and Andy could be allowed to identify with his (and CR's) beloved Blues?

16. Bandit

Still can't stand being the filth.... :mad::p

17. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Based on matching fantasy to real life - well done.
    If comparisons were made on team bias then,
    Guim = Richmond
    Gundagai = Collingwood
    Marble Bar = GWS
    Lovely Banks = Geelong
    Whitsunday = yes, Dogs - but very wounded dogs at the mo.

18. Len

Marble Bar very happy being the GWS affiliate and can only hope to have as many flags as then in 10 years time ;)

19. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Richmond in player preference and in performance at the moment. :)