ORFFF 2016 PS Auction thread

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by anthak, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

The trade period will close at midnight on the night of Tuesday March 15th.
    Read more at http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/2016-pre-season-trade-thread.89277/#fPymxWaitKlGQvB3.99

Ive drafted these rules for ORFFF auctions, which are based on the ORFFA rules. Please let us know if you have any thoughts on them...

An “Auction thread” will be posted during the trade periods prior to drafts.
    Coaches may post a player or players or draft pick or picks or any combination of these as a package to auction in this thread.
    All players or picks to be auctioned should be listed with a closing day/time, and they cannot be withdrawn before that time.
    No player or pick being auctioned should be the subject of private trade negotiations nor used as part of a bid in another auction, until the auction of that player or pick has reached it's conclusion/closing time, with or without a sale.
    The initial posting of a reserve is optional and the reserve is not reached on any auction until the seller says so.
    Once a bid is tabled the bid is live until rejected OR deemed beaten by the person conducting the auction, it cannot be materially altered once tabled.
    No bid can be conditional on outcomes not directly related to the auction at hand.
    Once a reserve has been reached the seller has the option to adjust the auction length, but to no less than 48 hours, or the end of the trade period, whichever is the lesser.
    As soon as practical after receiving multiple bids on an auction the seller should indicate whom is in front, any reasoning is optional.
    All auctions are final and irreversible unless vetoed as per 4(e) or via a subsequent mutually agreed trade between the parties (which would also be subject to a veto period).

2. James84

James84 Well-Known Member

The Mole Creek Glow Worms offer up Kade Simpson for Auction. I could give you a blurb about his abilities etc but I think the attached picture says it for me. Plays all the games, scores consistently, 9th ranked defender in the game last season.
    upload_2016-2-29_21-57-27.png
    Looking for either a kid with some potential or a good draft pick in return.

I will keep the auction open until 10.30pm Wednesday

3. anthak

Im guessing this will be a fair way off the money, but I'll kick things off...

I'll bid Sam Colquhoun of Port Adelaide, & my 2nd round 2016 MSD pick

4. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

I'll bid K Turner and my 1st round MSD pick for K Simpson.

5. jamabadar

jamabadar Moderator

Can you make one than one bid or do you have to wait till your first bid is rejected.

6. James84

Good morning guys,

I will respond in order: @anthak Yes, just a bit short of where I see him, but not by a lot as evidenced by @That KI Guy meeting reserve and being the lead bid.

@jamabadar I suppose you could make two bids, I will be actively online from 9.30 this morning so can give instant feedback if you want to go one at a time for ease.

The auction will stay open till 10.30pm Wednesday as planned and further bids are welcome now that you know he is definitely moving.

7. jamabadar

jamabadar Moderator

I bid Sam Gray and 2nd round MSD pick

8. anthak

Good question. I was thinking about this last night. The rules arent exactly clear enough, because someone should be able to improve their bid if it seems obvious to them that they've been outbid.
    What do you all think?

9. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

just using the above bid as an example is it within the rules to bid "Sam Gray and 2nd round 2016 MSD pick in exchange for Kade Simpson and 4th Round 2016 MSD" which would be "asking" for a pick back from the Auctioning party but potentially allowing someone to get a better return for the main item ?

10. TheTassieHawk

in theory improving a bid would be fine - ie bidding MSD pick 23 when you have already bid MSD pick 39 is clearly an improved offer

however when the items are apples instead of oranges it gets harder to be clear whether something is a better offer - ie bidding MSD pick 16 when you have already bid a 2017 5th round PSD pick - in that case it would make sense (to me) that BOTH offers should stand until the auctioning party can advise which offer they prefer

• Like Like x 3
  11. James84

I think you can absolutely ask for something as a return as part of your bid. The person deciding can decline if it doesn't work for them. I also would be fine with people offering two options and the person can decide if one works for them.

Also @jamabadar now leads the bid with Gray and a 2nd MSD pick

• Like Like x 1
  12. That KI Guy

Have to say i'm not a fan of this suggestion.
    Smacks of negotiation. If you want to negotiate then deal via convo.

For mine, an auction is the auctioning party putting an item(s) on the table and the masses bidding for displayed item(s).
    You don't go to Christies and bid $15,000 on Lot 53:an antique dresser on the condition that they throw in an unlisted mahogany armwa and a carton of Coopers stout!

Granted it's not stated in the rules, just my 2c.

• Like Like x 3
  13. anthak

This is my understanding too.
    Does it need to go in the rules?

• Like Like x 2
  14. That KI Guy

boom.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheTassieHawk

I actually hadn't meant to suggest anything - although I can see how it reads that I have !

It is certainly handy to know what is and isn't permitted in advance so that we avoid any non-conforming bids.

16. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I think it could be argued it's simply a price adjustment.
    ie the value of the trade might be 1000, but as I don't have assets worth that I'll offer you assets worth 1200 if you give one back that's worth 200.
    I don't see a problem with it tbh, it can always be rejected, feels like a rule for a rule's sake.

17. That KI Guy

As implied, just my view. If differing opinions then...hail democracy.
    Could be a poll for a poll's sake though :p

• Like Like x 1
  18. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Once on an auction does a player have to traded at the end of it?

How do you decide which trade is better - is it solely down to the coach auctioning the player?

Already there's negotiating...in an auction? Rushed and confusing. Put me down already for canning this next year.

19. TheTassieHawk

my understanding would be no, the auctioning party would need to state whether or not the leading bid has met reserve and if so then the auctioned item has to be moved

I am not sure exactly what happens if the leading bid doesn't meet reserve and no better offer comes along but the auctioning party wants to complete the trade, presumably this would come down to a private negotiation post auction

• Like Like x 1
  20. anthak

Exactly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.