ORFFF Fixture and Finals discussion (including Fixture requests and Rivalry Round suggestions)

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by Bearfly, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Ok gang, with a couple of rivalry round suggestions as well as a request from @TheTassieHawk for an away game in round 1, let's have something official for all coaches to put in their fixture requests and suggestions for "Rivalry Round".

Currently we have the following rivalries proposed/locked in:
    @That KI Guy and his Neptune Island Noahs up against @Bearfly and his Wedge Island White Pointers in the "battle of the sharks";
    @Len and his Cockburn Avengers against @insider and his Dingo Beach Butchers in the "revenge for taking my young players cup"***;
    @TheTassieHawk and his Black Swamp 29ers against @choppers Chinchilla Chumps in the "6 stubbie drive derby"***
    @DamoH and his Maralinga Atoms against @MrsBear and her Port Lincoln Power in the (give me a catchy title for this rivalry)***
    ***Not official rivalry titles, just my take on the comments

Any further suggestions for rivalries and/or fixture requests please put them in here so I can try to accommodate them in the official 2016 ORFFF fixture.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

perhaps all 5 SA teams at home in one round during the season if there is a significant date in SA during the season and this doesn't bugger things up

similarly if the above can't happen then all 3 Port Lincoln area teams at home in one round linked to a significant date for the area should be reasonably manageable

3. Bearfly

Most significant date in this area is actually what has just occurred over this weekend, namely the Tunarama festival - but will check things out and see what crops up.
    Maybe kicking the minor country footy off the local Port Lincoln oval over the June long weekend could be an idea - that's when they hold the Mortlock Shield carnival for all the Eyre Peninsula league's representative sides (plus KI participates in it) - it's actually the longest running country football representative carnival in the nation and has seen many quality players who have gone on to become top SANFL and even AFL stars.

4. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if @MrsBear has confirmed a change from Power to Pirates, but if not there seems to be a natural mascot (and SA) rivalry between the Power and Atoms.

• Like Like x 1
  5. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Geographically clearly have a rivalry with Mt.Constantly-Thirsty and Uselessly Loopy!

We also play the Sandgroper Sandstorm which is the mini-tournament where the team with the most wins/points against each other at the end of the H&A season holds up the Ben Cousins Breathalyzer Trophy. It's quite prestigious.

Also is there an actual post which has all the clubs full names? I can't find it.

6. port_leschenault

Can we get confirmation of this one way or the other? @MrsBear

@leematty1 as new team coach, are you wishing to keep the Mt Thirsty Boozers name or were you going to relocate? Not sure if this option has been offered to you yet but there's no reason you can't change if you so wish.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheTassieHawk

this thread previously had 12 of the teams nicknames and now has all 16

http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/the-inaugural-16-orfff-franchise-names-nicknames-and-map.89028/

8. port_leschenault

9. Bearfly

She's pretty adamant on sticking with the Power despite my devious attempts to try and confuse her and change her mind :oops:;)
    I honestly thought Pirates sounded better, but she's a proud Power girl and wants her team to reflect her real AFL club!!!

That being said, it's safe to say that Port Lincoln Power and Maralinga Atoms will be rivals henceforth :D

• Like Like x 3
  10. leematty1

leematty1 Well-Known Member

Happy to stay on as the Mt Thirsty Boozers...

• Like Like x 2
  11. port_leschenault

All good. It's a good name and it means we can at least keep the "WA" "rivalry" going :D

• Like Like x 2
  12. TheTassieHawk

For the Maralinga-Port Lincoln rivalry perhaps the SA Power Networks Cup or ETSA Utilities Cup if you prefer the old school days, or the Thomas Edison Challenge, the "high Voltage" something or other, or some sort of play on AC/DC ?

13. MrsBear

MrsBear Active Member

That's pretty good idea there @TheTassieHawk, my stepfather actually works for SA Power Networks over here in Port Lincoln :)

14. TheTassieHawk

FWIW I would like to see Mole Creek vs Drouin and Useless Loop vs Mt Thirsty in Round 1 given these 4 sides are all "newbys" and also have fairly good proximity to each other.

That would leave Walpole vs Heard Island and Jan Juc vs Rutherglen all as second time coaches to round things out based on proximity to each other.

15. TheTassieHawk

Hi All,

Rather than start a new thread or discuss this in the Rules discussion I thought it better to discuss it in the fixture discussion thread.

For ORFFL, ORFFF and ORFFU my understanding is that each of these 18 team comps plays 17 home and away rounds (ie everyone plays everyone once, presumably alternating home and away from one season to the next) followed by 3 weeks of finals with a top 8 in each comp. The season runs over the 20 out of 23 AFL rounds that exclude the 3 multibye rounds.

My understanding is that each comp also determines finals matchups differently, but that each plays a top 8 sudden death knockout finals system over 3 weeks (ie no "double chances" as in the current AFL top 8 finals system)

As the ORFFF is a 16 team comp we will need to decide what is the preferred fixture/finals structure we want to work with and also how many teams we want in the ORFFF finals.

Some possible options (leaving the number of teams making the ORFF Finals series and actual finals system apart for now)

Playing over 18 rounds (ie 2 weeks where we are not playing)
    • Everyone plays everyone over 15 weeks followed by 3 weeks of finals
    Playing over 19 rounds (ie 1 week where we are not playing)
    • Everyone plays everyone over 15 weeks followed by 4 weeks of finals
    • A 16 week roster (everyone plays 14 teams once with an extra match against their Rivalry Round Rivals) followed by 3 weeks of finals
    Playing over 20 rounds (ie no weeks off)
    • Everyone plays everyone over 15 weeks followed by 5 weeks of finals
    • A 16 week roster (everyone plays everyone once with an extra match against their Rivalry Round Rivals) followed by 4 weeks of finals
    • A 17 week roster (everyone plays 13 teams once with extra matches against 2 of the 15 other teams) followed by 3 weeks of finals
    -----------------

If you prefer one of these to the others or think of any other options or suggestions that you want to be considered then please discuss below. Once the discussion commences we can either run a poll between 2 or 3 suggestions unless there is one option that appears to be clearly favoured.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

4 week final series for me, following the AFL structure. A 3 week finals series, while a necessary evil in an 18 team comp, doesn't adequately reward the top 4 imho.

17. TheTassieHawk

@DamoH - cheers, if that is supported would you care either way whether it is 15 or 16 roster matches we might go with ?

18. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

No extra rivalry round - just keep it simple, play everyone once.

19. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

A 16 week roster (everyone plays everyone once with an extra match against their Rivalry Round Rivals) followed by 4 weeks of finals

The above is my preference - Puts additional focus on the rivalry match ups

• Like Like x 2
  20. Bearfly

I like the idea of a 20 week season, with 16 matches (Rivalry Round double-ups where you play rivals home and away) - then the 4 week finals series based on the actual AFL model that rewards the top 4 with the double chance.

• Like Like x 1