2016 ORFFF Rep Footy - East vs West

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by TheTassieHawk, Mar 31, 2016.

1. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Hi All,

I thought I would see if any of the ORFFF coaches have interest in playing "Rep Footy" in 2016??

If so which of these ideas sounds the best and do you have any others that are better.

Option 1 - Split the 16 teams into 4 Rep Footy Zones
    - play against each other over the 3 week bye period (Rounds 13,14,15)
    - 15 a side plus 4 emergencies chosen from a 34 player squad
    - best record over the 3 matches takes out the title
    * Team 1 - Heard Island, Useless Loop, Walpole and Mt Thirsty
    * Team 2 - Maralinga plus the 3 Port Lincoln area sides
    * Team 3 - Mole Creek, Drouin, Jan Juc and Rutherglen
    * Team 4 - Cockburn, Black Swamp, Chinchilla and Dingo Beach

(best I could come up with based on this map)
    final orfff map with logo.png

Option 2 - Split the 16 teams into 3 Rep Footy Zones
    - play against each other over the 3 week bye period (Rounds 13,14,15)
    - each team has one bye
    - 15 a side plus 4 emergencies chosen from a 34 player squad
    - best record in their 2 matches takes out the title
    * Team 1 - Useless Loop, Walpole, Mt Thirsty, Maralinga and Port Lincoln
    * Team 2 - Neptune Island, Mole Creek, Drouin, Jan Juc and Rutherglen
    * Team 3 - Wedge Island, Cockburn, Black Swamp, Chinchilla and Dingo Beach
    - for 2016 Heard Island would either sit out or have their Defenders and Rucks play for one side, Midfielders another and Forwards another, then in 2017 Heard Island would become a permanent member of whichever Rep Footy side finishes last in 2016
    - alternatively Heard Island plays for Team 2 and Neptune Island switches to Team 3 which has 6 feeder teams

Option 3 - Split the 16 teams into 2 Rep Footy Zones
    - play a one off match against each other on either Grand Final Day (Round 22, with players playing in the Granny being ineligible) or in Round 23 as a post season all stars match.
    - 22 a side plus 4 emergencies (ie Supercoach style but with no captains)
    * Team 1 - Heard Island, Useless Loop, Walpole, Mt Thirst, Maralinga plus the 3 Port Lincoln area sides
    * Team 2 - Mole Creek, Drouin, Jan Juc, Rutherglen, Cockburn, Black Swamp, Chinchilla and Dingo Beach

Option 4 - Split the ORFFF playing pool into "Young Guns" and "Golden Oldies" by date of birth
    - play a one off match against each other mid season (Round 12?) or on either Grand Final Day (Round 22, with players playing in the Granny being ineligible) or in Round 23 as a post season all stars match.
    - we would choose a "stab in the dark" date of birth such as 1st January 1990 and players born on or after this date play for the youngsters
    - 22 a side plus 4 emergencies (ie supercoach style but with no captains)
    - based on this years result we move the Young/Old dividing date up, down or leave it the same as required to even out the sides for the 2017 Rep Footy match (and then do the same in future years)

Let's hear what you think or observe your apathy !!

Cheers TTH

• Option 3 Option 3 x 2
  2. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

I think running the current competition should take priority over trying to reinvent the wheel.

3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I have been thinking of doing this too TTH. Good job coming up with all the options. I was just thinking about option 3, to be played in round 23, given we're not using it.
    so that gets my vote.

4. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

I've just had my say on the other thread, so now I would like to say, great job TTH, and I think it's a great idea.
    I would go for option 1 over the 3 week bye period. I think that would be a lot easier for Coaches to get their teams organised. just sayin'

5. James84

James84 Well-Known Member

I'm liking option three, gives us something to do round 23!!

6. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

I like the byes being a time for trading and drafting and one less worry in having to put together another fantasy team.

• Like Like x 3
  7. choppers

yeah, didn't think of that, the drafting and trading that is.....so I'll change from OPT 1 to OPT3.......

• Option 3 Option 3 x 1
  8. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

I like this idea @TheTassieHawk - would be great to go with option 1 so we can keep in the ORFFF selection loop during the byes, and would be great to put 4 ORFFF coaches collective minds together in each pool to come up with the sides.

As for claims it would distract people from mid-season trading/draft, poppycock I say - if we can't multi-task at a time when all our minds will be totally switched on fantasy mode then we shouldn't be in the fantasy game anyway!!!

I also like option 3, but this could be an extra rep game in the same vein as an "All-Stars" match (whereas option 1 is more like a State of Origin style series).

• Like Like x 1
  9. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I agree with this.

I also think round 23 would be better because we know all 18 AFL teams are playing that week.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TheTassieHawk

11. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I thought I'd commented, turned out I just clicked option 3..
    I'm not feeling positive about doing it during the byes, nor during R22, but done as a R23 All Stars thing has some appeal.

• Like Like x 1
  12. choppers

Round 23 as a post season all stars match.
    - 22 a side plus 4 emergencies (ie Supercoach style but with no captains)
    * Team 1 - Heard Island, Useless Loop, Walpole, Mt Thirst, Maralinga plus the 3 Port Lincoln area sides
    * Team 2 - Mole Creek, Drouin, Jan Juc, Rutherglen, Cockburn, Black Swamp, Chinchilla and Dingo Beach

Agree with Len, this appeals to me.

13. stowie

stowie Moderator

Yeah, like this to make R23 interesting. Save the mid season for admin-y stuff like trading, etc.

14. Bearfly

East v Central and West - we cover most of the country so we should easily kick your collective backsides right into @TheTassieHawk swamp :p

15. TheTassieHawk

Alternating Venues between:-
    (1) Cockburn and Port Lincoln (ie central for all)
    (2) Rutherglen and Mt Thirsty (ie central for the home side)
    (3) Best Eastern team (after H&A or finals?) and Best Central and West team (after H&A or finals?)

or should we just play it at the team which takes out the seasons ORFFF premiership, 9th place or wooden spoon ??

• Like Like x 1
    • Option 4 Option 4 x 1
  16. Bearfly

I say we should take this game on the road and put it before an international audience - after all, it is after the GF so we can combine it with the players end of season trips!!!

17. TheTassieHawk

Not a bad idea - were you thinking somewhere with an ORFF* standard playing facility if so Banchang (ORFFU Thailand), Serengeti (ORFFU South Africa) and Waikikamoocow (ORFFA NZ) may all be options provided those teams aren't hosting their respective Grand Finals.

Otherwise to me the easiest location would be Bali, where it appears that there is a ready made top notch facility just waiting to be utilised (http://www.baligeckos.com)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bearfly

I was thinking more along the lines of spreading the ORFF* further and introducing it to a wider audience than those already in the loop.
    How about we head over to the US (seeing that it is a favoured destination amongst current AFL players) - have heard that @snoz would welcome us all with some warm hospitality (and possibly a few well aimed nukes), surely he will put on a grand soiree and invite all the important people from his neck of the woods.
    Let's spread ORFF* even further than current markets - you never know, it could plant the seeds for an entire new ORFF league made up solely of non Aussie clubs!!!

19. leematty1

leematty1 Well-Known Member

I agree, round 23 the easiest. as a newbie, still have to get my head around MSD etc first.

20. snoz

snoz Moderator

@Bearfly, I would welcome all & sundry over to the 'not so' paved of gold streets of Manhattan for an ORFF Spectacular.

We could walk the Brooklyn Bridge, scale the Empire State Building, shop on Fifth Avenue....or just crawl thru the 800 odd pubs, bars and watering holes throughout the area - spreading ORFF as we go o_O

• Like Like x 1