ORFFL Round 3 Review

Discussion in 'ORFFL' started by Kel, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Kel

Kel Moderator

ORFFL Round 3 Review:

Queenstown Quolls 1231 lost to Tarwin Lower Pigs 1262

Farmer v Nicholls, Scott v Moore, Sandilands v Cox. These are some of the classic ruck clashes over the years. Now we can add one from the Fantasy perspective - not. Boyd* 25 v Lobb 38. All the pre game discussion focused on this match up and it certainly disappointed.

On a slightly more serious note, the Pigs bounced bag from last weeks loss to record a 31 point victory over the unlucky Quolls. Jared Polec 123 led supports to ask the question ‘no Polec no Pigs’ after his disappearing act last week. Is he the new litmus test for this young Pigs outfit? For the victors Docherty 116 Hanley 120 and Hogan 116 were the standouts. Mitch Rubbishbin not only got into Selwoods face he also managed a tidy 120 SC to lead the way for the Quolls. With no other standouts, and quiet days for Howe 37 and Mzungu 32 it was a happy trip back across Bass Straight for the Pigs.

Poowong Potoroos 1181 lost to Sarah Island Savages 1227

A more subdued performance from the Savages this week but they did enough to get over the line against the injury hit Potoroos.

To take down the Savages you need everything to go right and unfortunately that wasn’t the case for the Potoroos. Ablett 135 led from the front once again, but the lack of a ruckman proved fatal with Menadues* 16 struggling against Naitanui 114. Trent McKenzie 4 discovered that you don’t mess with the Savages, his night ending early with his nose spread over his face. In more bad news spiritual leader ‘Guru Bob’ Murphy 95 went down late in the game and is likely out for the season with a knee. Special mention to Boomer Harvey 131 who just seems to get better with age.

Glenrowan Gunslingers 1433 defeated Milikapati Snakes 1246

The Gunslingers snatched top spot with a comfortable victory over the Snakes. Big scores all over the field with Aaron Hall 134 continuing his rich vein of form that he has had, basically from the day he was delisted by yours truly. Dahlhaus 154 took the 5 Brownlow votes but he was ably supported by Hannebery 125 Ziebell 124 and Mummy 117. This team is a serious threat.

For the Snakes it was a solid team effort however they were just outgunned by the Glenrowan Boys (see what I did there). Kelly 121 and Taylor Adams 107 leading the way.

Jimcumbilly Jackrabbits 1271 lost to Popanyinning Pyrite 1283

In the closest game of the season so far the Pyrite led by Max Gawn 172 took out the Jackrabbits by 12 points. Stefan Martin 106 was just overwhelmed by the Bearded one. He needs to take a look at his ridiculous hipster haircut and get serious. Big Max knows how a ruckman should look, although the hipster look does seem to work with the ladies. Caleb Daniel provided evidence that P_L doesn’t just draft ruckman, the little fella banging out 107. KK 113 and Shuey 119 others of note for the Pyrite. Weller 105 and Rischitelli 102 were good for Jackrabbits.

Purnululu Bungle Ranges 1300 defeated Mount Buggery Disappointments 1218

I had to double check the ladder on this one. MBD 0-3 and sitting 16th. For the PBR it was win number 1 for the season, ably led by the somewhat harassed Joel Selwood 142. It won’t be every week they can cop a 0 in the ruck and let the opposition, in this case Goldstein 172, run around unchecked, however they got away with it. Maybe someone should point out to Tino that you can play someone OOP in the ruck which would at least provide some points.

Shaw 129 Broadbent 111 Treloar 101 Goddard 125 Lynch 112 and Billings 109 showed that this PBR team can play. For the Disappointments, it was well, disappointing. Number 1 pick Callum Mills* 28 was given the tough task of filling in for the lack of defenders however he and the rest of the team couldn’t help Goldy drag them over the line. A season defining matchup against the erratic Coulta awaits next week.

Bundalong Bullfrogs 992 lost to Woy Woy Wizards 1097

It would be fair to say that it’s going to be a long year for the Bullfrogs. Even with the inspirational leadership of Trent Cotchin 129 they couldn’t plug all the holes. You aren’t going to win a lot of games with only 12. For the Wizards, the return of Sandilands was only short lived and he now faces an operation and more time out of the game. Montagna 150 and Whitfield 104 provided midfield grunt and bargain recruit Weitering 129 is proving to be everything he promised to be.

Coulta Couldabeens 1408 defeated Bonnie Doon Bandits 1103

Is this just a dead cat bounce for the Couldabeens or are they serious contenders this year? Speculators were back on board this week with Coulta scoring 1408, but whether it is sustainable is the big question. In a positive sign it was very much a team effort with all of Enright Burgoyne Priddis Blicavs and Zaharakis topping the ton and various others in the 90’s. It was a team effort for BDB as well, only that the effort really was pretty poor. Only Tom Langdon 124 reaching 3 figures and the 3 prong ruck attack not working at all this week.

Warburton Wanderers 919 lost to Mallacoota Magicians 1310

Mallacoota worked its magic all over the field and the hapless Wanderers had no answer. Houli 144 was seemingly everywhere, just an illusion, or was it real??? His SC score would indicate that there was some substance to his appearances and perhaps it was the supporters who had been taking the substances. Hartlett has been a big loss in the midfield, but his absence alone would not have made any difference in this clash, the Magicians running out 391 point victors.

Humpty Doo Hammerheads 1206 lost to Smiths Beach Seagulls 1330

Oh dear, the Honeymoon is over baby for the Hammerheads this year as the seagulls swooped and ended the unbeaten run of Lucas and his boys. Dangerfield 166 was everywhere and with support from Parker 129 Newnes 111 Gilbert 102 and Buddy 109 were just too strong. There are some holes up forward for SBS but if your midfield can score 500+ every week you will likely win more than you lose. It’s certainly not doom and gloom for HDH, but if you are relying on James Aish for anything, even DEF Interchange then you probably have to at least have a look at your list management strategy.

• Like Like x 2
  2. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

It was the week I finally gave up on Zac Williams getting a game, dropping him out of the D4 lineup.

Disappointing. :D

3. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Wilson doing so well kept him out, not odds on hold this week if Kennedy passes his concussion test

4. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

Thanks again mate, good read.

I have to point out though that my brilliant coaching was to blame for the Quolls' loss, my last minute switch of Mzungu and Sinclair cost us 48 points. Pity we can't fire the coach.

5. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

I have great expectations of Haynes coming into the backline in the next couple of weeks too.... or is that just wishful thinking?

6. HörnsySechsZeit

HörnsySechsZeit Jarhead Staff Member

First like. You're nailing it @Kel . Sorely appreciated.

Clearly the big story of the ORFFL currently is MDB; 0-3.

To make the finals I posit that you need to win 10 games out of 17. For MBD it's 10 out of 14.

I don't think they can do it. Anyone care to wager against me?*

* Speaking of which, @Lucas you still owe me for that bet on the COL DEF that can't kick (and that's in the context of COL footballers too).

7. HörnsySechsZeit

My words coming out of someone else's mouth.

8. HörnsySechsZeit

And BTB @Kel , I don't think Polec is the litmus test for your mob. I reckon he used to be, but not any more.

With Hanley and Hunter moving there in recent years, and the addition of Oliver, there's enough firepower to go round in the middle.

I'd want to stop playing McStay though.

9. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Kel

Kel Moderator

Schache goal watch:
    Round 3 - 0
    Total - 2
    Goals to Beer - 48
    Current Average - .666
    Average required - 2.526

11. Kel

Kel Moderator

I'd want to stop playing McStay though.
    [/QUOTE]

Round 3 was his last chance. Green comes in this week after outscoring Dan the last 2 weeks. Watch him rip Gold Coast a new one and smash out a 120+ while Greeny has a shocker. Would be nice to have Sheed in there, but apart from him the injury gods have been pretty kind to us this year. Big game for the TLP. Would have to be a our best chance to win the West Gippy Rumble. Will be looking for someone to 'do a McKenzie' on Ablett.

12. Kel

Kel Moderator

And I played McStay over Green which cost me 34 points. Not really used to this having players to choose from thing after the last couple of years. Might get it right one day.

13. stripey

14. HörnsySechsZeit

Bad coaching happens to the best of us - and yes, by that I mean me.

Dropped Mayne and Ibbo to teach them a lesson. They combine for around 190 points.

Their replacements, Bundy and Williams combine for less than 40 points.

15. HörnsySechsZeit

16. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Undefeated with the 7th best scoring team. Same start as last year basically.

Thanks for the write up again, Kel.

17. stripey

Loving the extended benches this weekend. Hopefully Tucker and Turner get their chance to make their debuts for the Bullfrogs.... And welcome back Nick Haynes!

18. HörnsySechsZeit

19. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, you better open another one, it's going to be a long weekend for the Sarah Island Softies.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HörnsySechsZeit

Enjoying it so far.