ORFFL Round 9 Review

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Kel, May 24, 2016.

By Kel on May 24, 2016 at 10:29 AM
  1. Kel

Kel Moderator

Jimcumbilly Jackrabbits 1182 lost to Humpty Doo Hammerheads 1245

Agadoo was pumping on the stereo on the return trip to Humpty Doo after a battling win by the Hammerheads. With a real glut of teams on 5/4 and 4/5 this was a must win. Led from the midfield by Neale 148 and Gray 120, and up forward by Gunston 119, the support cast did enough. Pretty Boy Joe was thrown into defence and managed a 29*. For the losers Matt Dea 128 took the 4 brownlow votes, however with Gibson 59 Martin 48 and Petrie 39 all well below average the ‘rabbits went down at home.

Mallacoota Magicians 1286 lost to Mt Buggery Disappointments 1327

The big question going in to this game, which still remains unanswered, is do we still have a coach of the Magicians. A stretched black limo with full security glass arrived at the usual time and place however a haze of disco smoke surrounded the Magicians bench for the whole game. When it cleared after the siren there was nobody to be seen. Was it all just an illusion or was it…..magic??

Certainly on the ground the Magicians put in a fighting performance scoring a solid 1286 which would have won most other games, however in this case it wasn’t enough to top the MIGHTY MIGHTY Disappointments.

After a strong start to the season the Magicians are being drawn back to the pack, however a strong points for is keeping them at the head of the cluttered middle rungs of the table.

Woy Woy Wizards 1070 lost to Purnululu Bungle Rangers 1219

Woy Woy slip to second bottom after going down to the PBR by 149. Heath Shaws 203 certainly helped and Walker 119 finally scored some decent points but Nathan Vardy in the ruck, FFS Tino he won’t be a late call up every week man, give Cooney a run, at least on the bench. Seriously, if Jack Watts can do it, anyone can. PBR stay in touch but it goes without saying that they will need to keep winning. For Woy Woy they must surely be looking at the trade table and loading up for the upcoming drafts.

Smiths Beach Seagulls 1203 lost to Tarwin Lower Pigs 1321

Toot toot, all aboard the TLP train. Although the rail line hasn’t run down through South Gippsland for many years and the nearest station was about 20km from Tarwin Lower I suggest you jump on this train while there is still room because here come the Pigs. Oh yes, I’m putting my neck on the line, and just like Josh Schache, the Pigs are coming. Maybe not in 2016, but we are coming. Pendles 140 is back, Docherty 135 is running amok off the half back line (take note Champion Data, the half back line, not the midfield) and if Jake doesn’t get you then Jesse certainly will when the ball is pumped forward.

For the ‘gulls Steven 148 stood up, Parker 120 did what he always does, however Danger 86 was down and there just wasn’t the support from around the ground. Although still sitting in 6th, the form line is not looking good and they face a Phoenix like Bonnie Doon next week in what is shaping as a must win to keep the season on track.

Sarah Island Savages 1337 defeated Glenrowan Gunslingers 1249

Without doubt the game of the season with the 2 undefeated teams butting heads. The Savages went in warm favourites and certainly kept the bookies bags light and the punters happy (even if no one else was) with a solid 88 point win in a high scoring contest.

Ziebell 141 took five brownlow votes and Tom Lynch 133 three for the Gunslingers however they were overwhelmed by the depth of the Savages who had all 4 forwards crack 100 which is really quite amazing. Defence must be a bit of a worry for Hornsy, but really he can go and get stuffed, hopefully Ibbotson scores 36 and Harry Taylor 37 for the rest of the year.

Milikipati Snakes 1147 lost to Bonnie Doon Bandits 1426

Fez must cry into his beer sometimes the way his Bandits play. After a shocking start to the year out they come and smash out a 1426 and put themselves firmly back in the race for the finals. You would struggle to find 3 bigger spuds than Kurt Tippet, Daisy Thomas and Rhys Stanley, but quicker than you can say WTF, there they are in the Bandits forward line going bang bang bang. For the Snakes the 2 James’, Kelly and Harmes, have been revelations and Sidebottom keeps pumping out the scores.

Poowong Potoroos 990 lost to Bundalong Bullfrogs 1184

Coach Jason was winging in the media over the last few weeks about injuries, blah blah blah Jason, no one cares. Poowong are just not very good. Yes, we know Murray Goulburn and Fonterra cut the milk price but really, as long as we can buy milk for $1 litre, does anyone really care. Case in point this week, going down to the bottom of the table Bundalong.

With Richmond seemingly having turned the corner perhaps we will see a bit of a revival from the Bullfrogs, or maybe not.

Queenstown Quolls 1137 defeated Popanyinning Pyrite 1132

#Badmanagement #Popanyinning Pyrite #Wasted opportunities #WellplayedQuolls4points

Coulta Couldabeens 1236 defeated Warburton Wanderers 878

Coulta are definitely an enigma this year. The 3rd highest scoring team but sitting 9th with a 4/5 record they really only have themselves to blame with huge highs and lows. This week they managed a respectable 1236 which was more than enough to account for the Wanderers. If they can get some more consistency they will no doubt be a threat later in the season. The ability to go large can make the difference in elimination games as we saw with Woy Woy a couple of years ago. For the Wanderers it’s pretty much season over and I imagine they will be looking to the upcoming drafts to bolster the squad.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Kel, May 24, 2016.

1. walesy
      walesy
      Can't believe we are still posting competitive scores. Our injuries are brutal!

Still posting a full team (though we're out of bench cover) with multiple OOP players.

Seriously, this injury list:

Suckling, Sutcliffe
      Rockliff
      Roughead, Elliot, Cloke, Conca

Topups though, those guys are performing admirably!

Special thumbs up to Cameron, who's decided to start scoring like that premium forward that we all knew he would become! :D
      • Option 1 Option 1 x 1
    2. Kel
      Kel
      Clokes not injured Walesy. :spud: :p
      • Like Like x 1
    3. walesy
      walesy
      Death is an injury no?

He's dead to me.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Option 1 Option 1 x 1
    4. HörnsySechsZeit
      HörnsySechsZeit
      TOO BIG TO FAIL!!!!!!!!!!

Much thanks, Kel. Not only do you write better than I, I also enjoy your opinions far more than my own.

I'll do a preview this week of sorts as I just capped a semester.
    5. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      This week is Brad Hill's turn to ton it up on the emergency bench.
    6. stripey
      stripey
      You wanna talk injuries Walesy??? In addition to the one/two/three week injuries, we have been cruelled all season by LTI's...

Tom Cutler
      Curtly Hampton
      Michael Talia
      Rhys Mathieson
      Scott Selwood

In other news there is a pretty big battle going on for the spoon at the moment, with four teams currently on 2/7. I have complete confidence the Bullfrogs will not be that bottom team by seasons end ;)
    7. thokash
      thokash
      Nice writeup Kel, glad you find time to do these every so often.

Magicians injuries outdo everyone in quality (but not quantity). Not that I'm invested in that particular club or anything.
      Fyfe
      Bennell
      Houli
      Barlow (same category as Cloke)

- From anonymous ORFFL fan
    8. Kel
      Kel
      Welcome anonymous ORFFL fan ;). Glad that you are still around :D. Mystery solved I think :thumbsu:.
    9. walesy
      walesy
      Fyfe, Bennell, Houli v Rockliff, Suckling, Roughead, Elliot

It's close, but definitely think the Magicians are harder done by!
    10. Jason
    11. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      ORFFL Wizard forgot his log in details ;)
    12. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      This injury talk is a bit like...

13. Fez
      Fez
      4 in a row baby am I the Carlton of the ORFFL?
    14. Kel
      Kel
      If that's the case Fez, you must be so proud.
    15. Fez
      Fez
      Why not , haven't had much to cheer about ever in the ORFFL
    16. Kel
      Kel
      The 4 wins are great, the Carlton bit not so much, is what I meant.
    17. Jason
      Jason
      I think I might be the Brisbane of the ORFFL. Couple of good players, but overall just not that great.
    18. Kel
      Kel
      Ironically I could be the Bulldogs, although I think that 'not that great' is perhaps overstating the Lions position at the moment.
    19. Jason
      Jason
      Not that great is probably overstating my ORFFL position at the moment too.
      • Like Like x 1