Position Focus - Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Here's a general forum for any question or comments or thoughts related to defenders.

2. Lucas

Vale Luke Hodge.

It will be interesting to see the positional changes that take place over the off season.

Outside of Goddard, I'm not sure there are any gilt edged premiums that you need to sell the farm for.

Broughton?

So what's the plan for defence then? Again look to save money so you can splurge on KPF or gun mids?

Here's hoping there is decent value like last year in the injured returners (Waters/Maguire) or the rookies this year. Rookies started out OK but turned out horrendous from memory in this position.

3. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

I'll throw some names out there I'm looking at:- Waite - second year back after knee reco, Gilbert - looked good going forward in GF, Hurn - can he come back after being a bit down last year?

4. Holey

Holey Moderator Staff Member

I think Gibbs and Deledio are almost must have this year in the backline - if they get the DP as expected. Goddard will again be number one, and throw in Enright and Lake to round out the top 5.

5. sharkwhisperer

sharkwhisperer New Member

Hi Holey, Shannon Hurn of West Coast smashes up the supercoach points. Could be a gun coming back from injury this year ie underpriced. I was thinking Deledio or Gibbs , overdue to be guns and not sure of worth the risk yet. Made the mistake of picking player due(like Carrazo) last year. Would prefer to stick with proven performers in 2011. Deledio lacks consistancy, and gibbs same ,both usually pricey.

6. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

@Tylo
    Waite is Fwd only this year. Cant see Gilbert ave the same if he plays up forward. Would need to kick 2-3 goals to score the same as he did down back imo. Considering he's only kicked 18 in his career thats a big ask. His points usually came from marks and rebound 50's.

Bock, Hurn, Gibbs, Deledio, Goddard are all locked and loaded in my backline, well Goddard could find his way into the midfield.

7. Daveo

Daveo Member

i think most team will probably have goodard, deledio and gibbs but its the other 4 possitions you have to fill will make the difference. Hurn is great value but can he cope with the tag, Maxwell is underpriced if you go by his 09 form. GC have a couple of intersting blokes in coad and toy, heppell from ess looks likly early. Preseason will clear up the picture, i hope.

8. wal

wal New Member

I agree that Goddard, Deledio & Gibbs will be popular and rightly so. I'll start them all barring preseason injury. Essentially you're adding three guys who could vie for a midfield spot to your defensive line. Gibbs & Deledio, whilst maybe inconsistent compared to premium mids, are certainly not inconsistent compared to premium defenders (with Goddard the sole exception). They are completely different players to Carrazzo, who often plays tagging or forward defensive roles which impact heavily on his scoring.

Duffield vs Broughton is one problem I'm having. I like Duffman and got good value out of him last year, but Broughton's consistency at hitting 90+ scores is exceptional. Injury the obvious concern.

One thing that is nice this year is the amount of DEF/MID rookies that look like being available. After the choice of Mitch Farmer or Mitch Farmer last year, guys like Heppell, Jacobs & Hibberd potentially being DP should make it much easier to have flexibility from Rd 1.

9. Heater

Heater New Member

IMO Otten will be a great pick up as well as Waite. Like Duffield & Broughton too but would not have them both too soon. Goddard is 1st picked for me.

Going to steer clear of Hargrave as he burnt me last year.

10. boydshow

boydshow Guest

<blockquote>Quote from Heater on January 24, 2011, 20:46
    IMO Otten will be a great pick up as well as Waite. Like Duffield & Broughton too but would not have them both too soon. Goddard is 1st picked for me.

Going to steer clear of Hargrave as he burnt me last year.</blockquote>

I got Hargrave in when he bottomed out last year and he was OK. He's injured until round 7 this year, might be a good pickup if his price drops whilst he gets back into it again.

11. suther

suther Member

Broughton or Grimes..?

Both solid, but with the absence of Bruce, will Grimes pick up 10-15pts more a game?

12. Lucas

Loving Grimey but there's a question mark on fitness as always.

Really Grimes and Drummond would be on most team lists, but the risk of injury particularly hamstrings/back/OP for these two makes it a risky selection.

Broughton to me looks solid and maybe even a POD if everyone goes Goddard-Gibbs-Deledio.

Of those 3 I'd think Deledio is the one I'd not pick up but goodness it's going to be hard leaving any of these out of the defensive zone.

13. Hendy

Hendy Member

Does anyone have any news on how Drummond is travelling? I have had him every year (gamblor) and will take the punt again if he has healed well.

14. LiQuiD_SiXx

LiQuiD_SiXx Active Member

Dont forget about Grimes! solid performer and could be an interesting POD

Out of all lines, the defense lines will be most similar between teams as most will go with the cookie-cutter Goddard, Gibbs, Lids... from the start. Finding those POD's will be key to being successful.

Broughton, Grimes, Waite are worth keeping a close eye on.

15. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Depending on price, perhaps Puopolo. He should be fwd/back, he should be rookie priced, and depending on Clarko's view, he should be in our best 22. If anything, he could be the Waters/Maguire of this year.

16. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

I think loading up on B/C's is a great way to offset the byes as well as be competitive with most players worth risking on playing in the Centre(Cash Cows).
    Going with 5 Gun backline this year with.
    Brendon Goddard, Bryce Gibbs, Brett Deledio, Corey Enright, Lindsay Gilbee, Andy Otten, Ben Jacobs
    Josh Toy, Paul Puopolo, Daniel Talia.

Will wait and see about the rookies and Otten but can almost say that the 5 guns are cemented in, Got 3 Gun mids plus 2 Gun rucks in Jolly/Sandi. That will hopefully reduce the trades in that it is only my Mids and Fwds that should see early upgrade/Downgrade options.
    Problem with this strategy is that I have had to have more F/C rotations in the team and has left my fwd line very vunerable with only 2 Guns, But I dont think there are many Fwds worth the money as they are always the most inconsistent.

17. Bossarello

Bossarello New Member

I also had Duff last year but I'll be on Broughton this year. I reckon Bock has to be seriously considered and I agree that Gibbs, Goddard and Deledio as a MP are a lock. So three spots to fill? I reckon Fisher of the saints is pretty safe, Sam and Ben Reid are worth watching in the pre-season and Malcheski is burning up the training track- but can he handle a tag? Plenty to consider - what are your thoughts???

18. suther

suther Member

How many premiums can you take from the same team across the same line?

Take Goddard & Fisher (from Bossarello's above) come the bye, that would be tough to cover... even with Goddard as B/C...

i see it as risky.

19. Danger

Danger New Member

Im going with with backline most likely with gibbs and delidio plus the three improving prems Hurn, Broughton, Grimes if these guys can stay fit theyll be amazing. and then two rookies most likely Heppell and jacobs or toy. Ill be having Goddard in my mids. But of course this all depends on prices

20. DAZZLER

DAZZLER New Member

DAZZLER's backs:
    Bryce Gibbs, Brett Deledio, Corey Enright, Jack Grimes, Jed Adcock, Andy Otten, Dyson Heppell
    Josh Toy, Michael Hibberd, Paul Puopolo
    Dont worry, dont worry, DAZZLER has Gibbs in the guts..
    This is the line that I am very happy with...