Position Focus - Midfielders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Lucas, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Here's a general forum for any question or comments or thoughts related to midfielders.

2. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

What's peoples thoughts on the midfield structure this year? Last year I began with 4 premiums (even with the strength of the mid rookies) and it made my team really strong early. Only some REALLY awful trading brought me undone. I am leaning towards 4 premiums again as there seem to be good rookie options in every position this year to balance out the team. And with most points coming from the midfield it seems an easy way to keep up with the overall comp in the opening weeks.

3. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Currently have a 4 premium structure featuring a couple of MPP to make the most of back and forward swaps (Gibbs, Lids, Pavlich for eg) throughout the year.

The other thing this year is that there are 3 or 4 midfielders that are severely underpriced for what they could produce now that they are fit or at a new club. Taking a chance on 1 or 2 of these could see a team get 5.5 midfield elites for the price of 4.5.

4. Holey

Holey Moderator Staff Member

Looking at delistings, trades and retirements from 2010, Brisbane look to be the best fit for rookies (outside Gold Coast) with a total of 75 games missing. Richmond next with 50 and Melbourne at 37.

5. Lucas

<blockquote>Quote from chris88 on January 24, 2011, 14:45
    Currently have a 4 premium structure featuring a couple of MPP to make the most of back and forward swaps (Gibbs, Lids, Pavlich for eg) throughout the year.

The other thing this year is that there are 3 or 4 midfielders that are severely underpriced for what they could produce now that they are fit or at a new club. Taking a chance on 1 or 2 of these could see a team get 5.5 midfield elites for the price of 4.5.</blockquote>

I think you will need to be taking some risks, but again rookie + gun vs 2 underpriced tends to often come up with a win to the former.

Maybe with the bye requiring more depth in your teams, this logic may be superseded, but it's hard to tell.

6. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

@Holey- suprising Adelaide dont feature in top 3. I'll be watching D's midfield closely over preseason, wondering if Scully could step up to 90+ ppg in his second year?

7. boydshow

boydshow Guest

I'm thinking 4 midfield premiums, any less and you are overspending on other lines or over hedging on mid pricers.

8. Holey

Holey Moderator Staff Member

@Tylo - was referring to midfield positions, Brisbane have many: Rischitelli, Johnstone, Sherman, Brennan... Adelaide from a Defender view point comfortably lead with Bock, McLeod and Goodwin making way. From a forward line perspective, its the Bulldogs, with Akermanis and Johnson amongst others finishing up there.

9. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

Fair enough Holey. Couldnt remember where Goodwin was last year and was thinking Tyson Edwards too.

10. wal

wal New Member

I'd like to start 5 premium mids this year though in my plan teams it comes at a heavy cost to other lines.

It will be interesting to see how much people spend this year on rookie mids. Holey's info brings Polec into calculations. As a goal kicking wingman with confidence and class he could score well and will almost certainly get early opportunities. Swallow is already in many people's teams. Gaff has been touted to play Rd 1. Richmond was very keen to get Conca and again, Holey's post indicates he'll get chances.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more than half of the top 10 draft picks play Rd 1 this year. Most of them are mids. Great for options but if rookie prices go up as expected is could play havoc with the budget. Are people prepared to fork out for two (or even three) top 6 draft picks for their mid rookies? Or will you be taking the pick of the bunch from preseason and throwing in guys like Mitch Wallis to balance the budget?

11. Lucas

5 premium midfielders, that would be a dream for most of us, but certainly appears difficult with the likely increase in rookie prices, and possible need to cover 33 positions.

But that said a 5-4 split wouldn't necessarily kill off other lines that badly.

I'm still thinking 13-7-13 for the balance of my squad if possible. (7 meaning underpriced)

12. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

I'm thinking of going with a 3 premium midfield. I did it last year, however it failed horrifically when i started with Simon Black in my team. I'm thinking J Selwood is definite. And then two more mid premiums. And i'm not sure if A Swallow counts as on of my three premiums, or if i'll put him in as well as a fourth.

I reckon players like D Swallow could average 100+, basically making them an under priced premium. The points have to go somewhere for GC, and if you can pick the right players, you'll score heaps even before you upgrade.

13. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

Can't see that many points going to GC, maybe 1300-1500 per game. If they do as bad as WCE last year, they will only have one player who averaged above 100 ppg. I'm guessing that player will be GAJ.

14. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Yeah but see Gold Coast have so many quality young players, that i would think at least one of them would average 100, or at least 90+.

15. boydshow

boydshow Guest

Sorry Ruddy, can't see it happening. The mature age recruits in defense will do OK, as that is where the ball will spend most of its time, but I can't see much more than an 80 average from their youngsters. I reckon there's going to be a group think of 6+ GC rookies, which will be well and truly overkill.

16. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

not sure about the ball spending a lot of time in defense. or even the defenders spending a lot of time there. those days are over.

I agree that 6 GC rookies is a mistake. with two byes in first 9 rounds, its a waste.
    gotta pick cashcows from teams that dont have a bye early on, to be able to upgrade them asap.

but in saying that, there are a few GC rookies that will pick themselves. Swallow being one of them of course.

17. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

What do you guys think of a three premium midfield of Selwood, A Swallow and Jack? Is it worth having Swallow and Jack, or will it be a massive disadvantage to not have all players from the super-premium/high premium class?

18. boydshow

boydshow Guest

@Ruddy - Swallow could end up a top 6 mid, not the worst selection. Jack could also be an improver as he matures and without Kirk around. I would go with a 4th premium though.

19. DAZZLER

DAZZLER New Member

DAZZLER's mids are (so far):
    Brendon Goddard, Dane Swan, Chris Judd, Bradd Dalziell, David Swallow, Andrew Gaff
    Maverick Weller, Tom Liberatore, Ian Callinan

Dalziell is just in there, with the talk W/C will pay more respect next season, will watch the NAB...

20. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Here's an interesting question for Doggies fans. Libba or Wallis? I don't think that both will be starting from round one, and i reckon it could be Wallis who plays more games early, hopefully enough to mature a a cash cow.