Rate My Team 2015 (2nd Edition)

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Mar 15, 2015.

By Jason on Mar 15, 2015 at 11:00 AM
  1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

<p style='color: #444444; margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fcfcfc;]So what happens if you take Ablett out of your SC team? I did decided to find out. This is what I came up with. I am not fully convinced yet, but not that unhappy with the results either.
    <p style='color: #444444; margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fcfcfc;]Perhaps there are enough DEF cheapies this year to swing a 4th into the mix. For my SC team's current structure I certainly hope so.
    <p style='color: #444444; margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fcfcfc;][span style='font-size: 14px; background-color: #fcfcfc;]I'm counting Smith/Gibson as DEF keepers, with Newnes/Higgins hopefully good enough to stay onfield all season and not miss out on too many points compared to other DEFs. 4 MID keepers plus a mid-pricer (Bontempelli) with a lot of upside, seems like the best way to splash the Ablett cash around at the moment. Finally 2 RUC keepers and[span style='font-size: 14px; background-color: #fcfcfc;]3 FWD keepers plus a fallen premium (Swan). That could amount to 14.5 keepers (optimistically), which I'm happy enough with for now.
    <p style='color: #444444; margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fcfcfc;]My bye structure is currently 8-11-11 which works OK. After R11, trade out 3 guys with a R12 bye for players with a R11 bye, then after R12 trade out 3 players with a R13 bye, etc. Should only have 8 missing due to byes on any given week, leaving two further slots at risk due to injured/dropped players.
    <p style='color: #444444; margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fcfcfc;]/Portals/0/Users/222/74/4574/RMT3.JPG
    <p style='color: #444444; margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fcfcfc;][span style='font-size: 14px; background-color: #fcfcfc;]Just to repeat the ground rules for RMT:
    <p style='color: #444444; margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fcfcfc;]1. In order to get feedback on your own team, you must first provide feedback on the teams that have been recently posted. This is the golden rule and is what makes this whole thing work.
    <p style='color: #444444; margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fcfcfc;]2. If you just post your team without giving any feedback,your post will be deleted.
    <p style='color: #444444; margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fcfcfc;]3. Please refrain from commenting on teams that have been posted by others that have not followed the golden rule.
    <p style='color: #444444; margin-bottom: 10px; background: #fcfcfc;]4. Keep it civil. Constructive criticism is fine. But there is a line and please don't cross it.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Mar 15, 2015.

1. bjaensch
      bjaensch
      Quite a few changes from first iteration mate. :) I like you midfield a lot and what appears to be a plan to flip Bont FWD when a FWD rookie is ready to be upgraded. Nice. I'm not convinced about Hambling or Edwards, although the latter did score well against the Saints (which may not be a positive... :)) Rucks and FWDs really, solid.
    2. Jason
      Jason
      Hamling appears to have done enough to play R1. Essendon well who the hell knows what will eventuate there. Agree that Edwards is the least likely of my 4 cheap DEF options to be named for R1. But perhaps Goddard/JKolo or maybe even Smith from Freo will come through. We can only hope.
    3. bjaensch
      bjaensch
      D: Yarran, Newnes, Higgins, Sheppard or Laird, Dalgliesh, Goddard, Saad, Maynard
      M: Pendles, Gibbs, Wines, Macrae, B Crouch,A. Swallow, Heeney, Boekhorst, Cockatoo, Anderson, Eliis-Yoman.
      R: Mymmy, Nic Nat, Cox
      F: Gray, D Martin, D. Smith, T. Mitchell, Clarke, Karnezis, Lonie, Lambert.

Back line is full of risk and potential for disaster, kinda depends who plays R1.
      Might have to sacrifice a semi premium mid for a def rookie I think.
      Cox may become O'Brien.
      D. Smith should probably become Bartel.
    4. bjaensch
      bjaensch
      Yeah, a lot will depend on what the outcomes are on 31st March. If they go down, what is left of the Don's squad will all get games.
    5. bjaensch
      bjaensch
      I meant sacrifice a semi premium mid and get rid of a Def rookie for a better def option/
    6. RPritch
      RPritch
      Like Bontempelli in the mid, Jason, also gives extra mid/fwd links. However, if I'm going to have a mid in the 400k's, I'd have to pick Neale. For me his pre-season form has not announced him as a good pod, but I already had him as that before his NAB Challenge games and this has made me go from likely to certain, in how likely it is he will have another breakout season.
    7. Jason
      Jason
      On first take, I didn't see enough keepers in your squad Bill. You have a plethora of guys who you are obviously looking to step up a level in 2015 in order for them to become keepers. Odds are low that all of Newnes/Higgins/Sheppard/Gibbs/Wines/Macrae/Crouch/Swallow/Smith/Mitchell will do this for you. I think you need a few more options who are locks to be in the top 6 for their position to be honest. You're running a bit too close to the wind hoping that all those almost-keeper players are going to step up a gear at the same time.

On Macrae, I don't expect him to score better in 2015 than he did in 2014. If he can hold ground, that would be a win. He will get more attention with Griffen and Libba not demanding it. I would expect him to be tagged most weeks and 3rd year players don't usually cope too well with that.

My mail was the Maynard was not likely to be in the mix for R1.
    8. Jason
      Jason
      Neale is on my watch list. His bye is bit tricky though because it's shared with Pendlebury and Fyfe. I only have 8 R11 bye players and without Bontempelli that would only be 7 and surely too many somewhere else.
    9. DannyG
      DannyG
      I don't believe starting without Ablett is a bad idea. I took Ablett out of my team as well, just to have a look. Perhaps, this is the year he might have slow start?? I read earlier this week that he still cannot lift his arm above his shoulder.
    10. bjaensch
      bjaensch
      Jason, I think you are on the money. I have Gibbs because he almost never plays less than 21 games per season (11th for total points for 2014, despite the relatively low avg per game of 106 for 22 games). His current dodgy shoulder puts a question mark on him for sure. Yeah, Maynard is not in NAB 3 for the Pies, so he's out. Agree that that team has a lot of 'hail Mary's'. Back to the drawing board I think, although my take on Macrae was that he would evolve into the clearance guy for the doggies with Libba out. But you are a lot closer to the likely outcomes for Footscray than I am and your point is very well made and taken. Cheers

11. RPritch
      RPritch
      What are the thoughts on which pair is going to simply average more per week? I know it is hard though because several of these lads could have a very broad range of how they might go:
      Neale + Leuenberger ($826.9k) or
      van Berlo + Mumford ($839.3k)
    12. Jason
      Jason
      Option 2. Leuenberger hasn't really delivered that much over his career to date, has a lot of hype but only really scored better than his current price point for a short period.
    13. Stampede
      Stampede
      Re Bonti in the mids: yes I think this is definitely a year to stash at least one M/F in the mids for a while with all the attractive forward premiums and rookies around. I think I'll be starting probably two in there for that reason. This move doesn't get used often enough for mine, but perhaps will become more prevalent with the extra mid spot.
    14. Jason
      Jason
      Should be more MID rookies coming on line throughout the season than any other line, so yes easier to downgrade a FWD cashcow switch F/M from MID to FWD and bring in another cheap MID.

Also considering Josh Kelly in this context, should Ablett come back into my lineup for instance.
    15. Stampede
      Stampede
      I know this isn't the question you asked but I'm a bit iffy on van Berlo as a pick - if he scores 75 every week he only makes $150k by his bye, and also that bye is R11 which is a bit unhelpful. I guess $150k is passable though and is what you often have to cop with a rookie anyway in these vest-infested times, so he could be a good conservative pick allowing more risk elsewhere.
    16. bgt2110
      bgt2110
      I would probably swap Bartel for Franklin and if you can find a bit more money elsewhere (Smith to a Houli or similar) i would try and get Salem in for one of Lamb or Lonie.
    17. Jason
      Jason
      Salem got a bunch of junk stats playing keepings off in Ballarat against our VFL midfielders in the first half, then when we put some bigger bodies in there it all dried up. That one score is not going to tempt me to start Salem. His other NAB score was pretty ordinary against Freo.
    18. JPK
      JPK
      Jason, I don't really like the idea of having three forwards in the midfield. Do you really think that these guys will score more than pure mids?

For round one you shouldn't be needing too much DPP flexibility, and I would have thought DPP's in their alternate position and pure mids in the midfield is generally the best way to start. Rucks are excepted from this rule for obvious reasons (more-so this year!).
    19. JPK
      JPK
      I'm going to counter what Jason has said, based on AO's optimum team analysis from last year. I know its near impossible to nail all the trades at the right time, but if you can get players into your team who may be on a hot streak (ticker anyone???) and don't be afraid to drop them when you think they'll slow down, then you may very-well have a killer team! I'm considering trying this with a 53c0nd team this year...