Round 10 Tips & Squad Improvement

Discussion in 'Blog' started by tipbetpro, May 27, 2016.

By tipbetpro on May 27, 2016 at 11:01 AM
  1. tipbetpro

tipbetpro Active Member

In our special feature this week, we have taken a look at which squads have improved the most over the season to date. We have done this based on the improvement from our TipBetPro player rankings at the start of the year and after Round 9 for every player who has taken the field so far in season 2016. Now obviously this disadvantages those sides that were highly rated as season start (i.e. Hawthorn and West Coast) and the lower ranked sides have more scope for improvement. However, we still feel it gives a guide as to which sides are improving the most and it has proved useful in seasons gone by as a forward indicator to sides moving into a premiership window.

So, what does it say? Well the Doggies premiership window is opening … fast! The Dogs were relatively highly rated at the start of the season (8th best squad) and their squad has improved the most rapidly since then. The Dogs have had enormous gains both from their rookies such as Marcus Adams and from players who have been around a few years like Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter, Mitch Wallis and Jason Johannisen.

The other big mover in a surprise to many is Sydney. The Swans were “supposed” to be on the way down in 2016. Certainly we projected them to be a big slider and I don’t think we were on our own. However four super impressive youngsters (Callum Mills, Tom Papley, George Hewitt and Isaac Heeney) have emerged and the continued improvement from very good to elite by Dan Hannebery, Luke Parker and Kurt Tippett have seen the Swans race up the rankings in 2016.

The Giants, Suns and Dees are the best of the rest albeit coming from lower starting points than the Dogs and Swans makes their squad improvement ranking a little more in line with expectations.
    Round 10 Tips & Squad Improvement
    upload_2016-5-27_9-0-32.png

As always interested in your thoughts and happy to disclose on who the big improvers on the TipBetPro model for each club have been.

TipBetPro Tips
    So these are our tips … we don’t have as much confidence in the market on the Swans but still have them winning. More importantly though Bing has North! So I don’t think I am going too far in saying, put everything you own on North!!!
    upload_2016-5-27_9-1-11.png

Check out our full match previews at http://www.tipbetpro.com/#!current-round/cee5 and once again if there is any analysis on teams or players you would like us to take a look at please let us know.

• Option 5 Option 5 x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by tipbetpro, May 27, 2016.

1. Bearfly
      Bearfly
      Wow, 67% confidence for Port to beat Dees - am I missing something???
      Port have lost a defender and replaced him with a raw 2 game fwd who has been forced to take on ruck duties.
      Trengove is a worry as he hasn't been able to train much during week with a sore ankle, not the best preparation to take on Gawn.
      Many players down on form and quite a few "passengers" not contributing much onfield (Amon/Neade) and others who continually turn it over/make poor decisions (O'Shea/Stewart).

Can see Roos matching Vince up on Boak and Viney on Wines to really try and limit Port's ability to win the ball from clearances.

As a Port supporter, I don't see how Port can win this one - Dees are an improving side and I expect them to take it out unfortunately.
      • Like Like x 1
    2. stripey
      stripey
      @tipbetpro
      You have the Eagles as the worst improvers (degraders?). Do you still have them falling or has the last few weeks got them turning it around?
    3. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      Strange that Suns are rated as better improvers than GWS. Pre-season I didn't think their squad was that bad. By all accounts they're playing below pre-season expectations atm.
      • Like Like x 1
    4. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      No, we don't have them turning it around just yet. However it should be pointed West Coast have fielded a very experienced side this season and one which was highly rated to begin with which limits their scope for improvement. In fact the Eagles biggest improvers on our rankings have been Naitanui and Kennedy who were already stars of the competition and have just continued to get better. Only really Liam Duggan fits into the lowly ranked at start of year player category that find it easier to improve whereas other sides have many more of these type of player.
    5. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      It is to do with the start rankings of the big improvers. The Giants big improvers have been Shiel, Kelly, Scully, Shaw and Coniglio - although all on the rise, none of that group were rated badly to begin with which limits the scope for improvement. The Suns big improvers have been Wright, Currie, Ah Chee, Hall, Lynch and Lonergan ... apart from Hall and Lynch, the rest barely even had a rating at the start of the season which means their overall growth has been higher even though they are still rated well below their Giants counterparts.
    6. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      You're over-reacting to form ... it's not as great a leading indicator for tipping as you think it is. Where there is significant talent and experience vs form disparities - talent and experience win out about 3/4 of the time historically. That is the case here - Melbourne are playing the far better footy (albeit based on destroying the two Queensland sides) but man for man they don't match up well to Port. The only position where Melbourne hold a compelling edge is in the ruck and the loss of Jonas has only served to even up the talent of both defences. Port have a deeper and more talented midfield and a greater range of proven forward line options to take advantage of the midfield edge. If the Power can go close to neutralising the clearances from the Dees ruck supremacy, they should win this. From a team factor perspective - Home Ground advantage has been cancelled out for this game due to it being played in the NT instead of Melbourne. We're comfortable with our model giving a 67% confidence in the Power.
    7. JPK
      JPK
      So the ranking changes are based on the sum of changes to each individual player, and not on changes to the overall team performance?
      This definitely does make more sense.
      • Like Like x 1
    8. RPritch
      RPritch
      Yes, it seems so. Explaining the Eagles last and the Suns rising more than the Giants. If it is indeed the case, then once some sort of scaling is done to show how improvement per spot is tougher at the top than bottom, I'm sure the Giants would have equal if not much better improvement
    9. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      Correct - average of sum of changes to each individual player that has played at least 1 game in season 2016. Suns benefit because so many of their players that have played plenty this season barely had rankings at season start. To be honest that's deceptive because players in squads like the Suns only have one way to go (it's actually more concerning that a team like Brisbane is still below average despite being in a similar situation). It is those mid-high range teams who have had huge ranking rises where this becomes useful as a forecasting tool. The Dogs and Swans fit that description and they have now shifted from mid-range sides to genuine premiership hopefuls on our model as a result of their squad growth over the season to date.
    10. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      It should be pointed out that despite the decline in the Eagles, we still rate them as the best overall best 22 (on a neutral ground) after accounting for season-ending injuries/illness (i.e. Roughead for Hawks drops them off top spot). It is just at season start we had the Eagles and Hawks convincingly out in front - over the season shifts in player rankings have seen Sydney, Geelong, Dogs, GWS and North closing the gap.
    11. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      You are an awful judge of your own team ;)
      Congrats on the win :thumbsu:
      • Like Like x 4
    12. Owen
      Owen
      Pretty good tipping this round Betpro, I'm hoping Bing didn't predict the blues win
      • Like Like x 1
    13. walesy
      walesy
      How does one even make Bing do the tipping thing?