SideBottom Vs Danger Vs Gray

Discussion in 'AFL' started by GaryReal, Mar 6, 2012.

1. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Please place your vote (and why perhaps).

2. Najoman86

Najoman86 New Member

Sidebottom

3. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

I like Gray's price & ability to score. Also has the last bye & is therefore good cover for other's in the mid or fwd area that have the 1st two byes. Given he also clashes with Buddy & Martin but he is one I would happily trade pre Rd 13 for Pav, Beams , Sidebottom, Zaharakis etc

He also comes highly recommended by the BEAR! :D

4. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Tough one, I'd go Dangerfield as the one with the highest potential, if given much more time on ball he could become a SC scoring machine as most of his possessions are contested, he is also the cheapest of the three. His coach has seemed to indicate that he will be playing more on ball this season and apparently he has increased his aerobic capacity to allow for much greater stints on ball.

Sidebottom is a very underrated player but his best work is done up on a half forward flank where he can kick a a goal or two a game and apply pressure on opposition defenders, this role isn't conducive to massive amounts of possessions however and unless he is given more stints on ball he might still lack the disposal numbers to elevate his score.

Gray would be the last of the three I'd pick solely due to him playing for a poor team and his injury history (although he played almost all of last season from memory). He can rack up some nice numbers but can go missing when his side isn't playing well and losing.

It might also be worth taking the bye situation into consideration, if locking in Dangerfield for example, do you also lock in Porplyzia and Smith or Kerridge? That's three round 11 players right there.

Zaharakis is also another one that fits the same mould, players that have played forward predominantly who might be given greater stints in the midfield, how many of these players do you choose and which one will turn out to be the best? I'd tentatively pick Dangerfield at this moment.

5. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I have Franklin Fyfe Chapman and Martin plus rooks atm in the fwd line.

I have Kerr in the middle as a mid pricer, I have swapped between having one there and one of the guys above (plus Luke Power) in the fwds instead at least 3 times now, still not convinced either way.

Assuming you have to have Porps than having Dangerfield as well is an issue if you consider him a keeper through the byes.

Pretty sure I will end up with Porps and Power in the fwds in addition to the 4 I already have and another rookie mid instead of any of the options in the OP.

6. scanners

scanners New Member

As others have said id prefer spend that cash on Zaha, but from those 3 Sidey for me. The way i see it the Pies will win more than triple the amount of games the others will. Therefore more points.

7. MoneyInTheBank

MoneyInTheBank New Member

I don't have any of these players but would pick Dangerfield out of these three. Its time he had his break out season, through ive been hearing that for a few years now. His price is still cheap enough if he can avg 90+.

8. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Sidebottom > Zaha > Danger > Gray

9. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Dangerfield wouldn't even be in this equation if it weren't for his performance on the weekend, and Zaha might me had the bombers landed.

Danger reached all the heights we wanted him, but he did so without the permanent Crow's mids munching on his points. With NVB and Thommo in, I can't see him averaging 100+, let alone 90+. I think he'll be one of those flashes on brilliance players, but not a consistent fantasy gun (he is an AFL gun though).

Sidebottom vs Gray is tough. Gray I think is a better player in a poorer team, and Sidebottom is a poorer player in a better team.

Still waiting on seeing Zaha in a full game. He could go bang against Sydney this week and be right back into everyone's team.

10. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Sidebottom is a better player than Gray, Gray is quite overrated.

11. cdcanman

cdcanman New Member

If you are looking at them as F4/5 to start with, before upgrading your rooks to more established options, then I don't think you can go wrong with any one of them. As long as by the end of the season they end up being your F6 or F7.

What are peoples thoughts on Dayne Beams? Worth slightly more than the above mentioned F/M's, but scores well when he plays. Injuries becoming a concern? Can he continue to deliver the way he was last year, or was that a flash in the pan? What's his current status for Rd 1?

12. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Gray
    Dangerman
    Sidebum

Gray averaged 104 in his last 14 games, thats 12 up on his season average. Fact is he hasnt had injury for well over a year (touch wood) and is playing more midfield time then any of other options.

13. The_General

The_General Member

Agree with SKT, Gray/Zaha>Sidebottom>Dangermouse

14. pollypies

pollypies Member

Judging on preseason and training Sidebottom appears to be playing the quarterback role across half back, similar role to Leon last year. Sidey uses the ball well on both sides and reads the play well, I think this will suit him. I expect him to defintely improve his SC scores on those scored last year as a forward. But he's not cheap, and mid priced players worth picking are a rarity.

If Danger plays more midfield, he is boudn to score more with his contested bran of footy.

Still a sceptic on Gray.

15. FyfeforBrownlow

FyfeforBrownlow New Member

I've been wavering between Sidebottom and Dangerfield the last week, but I'm leaning toward Dangerfield because he looks like he could potentially crank out more 30 possession games in the midfield this season. My perspective is probably clouded because Paddy always seems to have blinders against the Dockers.

Hopefully, we'll get to see both on the same field this weekend to further assess.

16. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Is none a realistic answer?

17. PieRaider

PieRaider New Member

Sidey was averaging 95 early last season but ended up on about 83.

This year he's blitzed in the first two NAB cup games but in his half against Melbourne, when he played predominantly in the middle, he struggled and only had about 9 possessions.

He's a year younger than Beams and a lot of the time that shows.

I've had him every year and his inconsistency is a factor you'll need to consider: 3 scores under 60 and 2 over 120 last year.

He could have a good year if he overcomes his tendency to cramp late in most games which exacerbates towards the end of the season.

18. Quality info PieRaider, cheers

19. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on March 6, 2012, 16:26
    Is none a realistic answer?</blockquote>

Or all 3 :D

20. Jet

Jet Member

I think none is the answer.

Get in another rookie somewhere else and with the cash upgrade 1 of them 3 to Goodes.
    (and grab Pendles in the midfield also if you skimped on him!)

If you must in order I would have thought:

Sidebum / Danger / Gray