Sky Racing Star Stable - Spring Carnival Fantasy comp

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Bearfly, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Like your racing???
    Looking forward to the quality horses running during the Spring Carnival???
    Want to have your own stable competing for you???
    If yes, join me at http://www.starstable.com.au and have a bit of fun.
    League code is 377582

Look forward to seeing who from TS can put together the best stable!!!

2. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Hey Bear,

I've entered and looking forward to it.

EDT: no Zipping? :S

3. FoxSportsNews

FoxSportsNews New Member

sounds good - we've started late haven't we? Are we going all the way until the end for the League?

Mitch.

not sure how competetive I'll be though..

4. Bearfly

Already up to 6 in the league, good start :)

@FSN - The whole comp starts this Saturday (1st Oct) with the Super Saturday meeting at Randwick and concludes with the Emirates Stakes meeting at Flemington on 5th Nov.

All up the comp covers 82 races over 9 meetings -
    Meeting 1 - Sat 1/10 - Randwick - Super Saturday (Epsom Hcp, Metropolitan, etc) 9 races;
    Meeting 2 - Sun 2/10 - Flemington - Turnbull Stakes Day (Turnbull Stakes, Edward Manifold Stakes, etc) 8 races;
    Meeting 3 - Sat 8/10 - Caulfield - Caulfield Guineas Day (Caulfield Guineas, Caulfield Stakes, Toorak Hcp, Herbert Power Stakes, etc) 9 races;
    Meeting 4 - Sat 15/10 - Caulfield - Caulfield Cup Day (Caulfield Cup, Norman Robinson Stakes, Tristarc Stakes, etc) 10 races;
    Meeting 5 - Sat 22/10 - Moonee Valley - Cox Plate Day (Cox Plate, Schweppes Stakes, Crystal Mile, MV Gold Cup, etc) 9 races;
    Meeting 6 - Sat 29/10 - Flemington - Derby Day (Victoria Derby, Mackinnon Stakes, Salinger Stakes, Wakeful Stakes, etc) 9 races;
    Meeting 7 - Tues 1/11 - Flemington - Melbourne Cup Day (Melbourne Cup, Herald Sun Stakes, etc) 10 races;
    Meeting 8 - Thurs 3/11 - Flemington - Oaks Day (Crown Oaks, etc) 9 races;
    Meeting 9 - Sat 5/11 - Flemington - Emirates Stakes Day (Emirates Stakes, Patinack Farm Classic, Matriarch stakes, Queen Elizabeth Stakes, etc) 9 races.

Trades are limited to 2 trades during each of the trade periods of which there are 7 - also can trade the stable jockey during each trade period.

It should be an interesting comp - and it also looks like some of the international raiders should be watched closely as many of them seem to be aiming for 1 or 2 runs before the Cup.

Anyway, good luck everyone :)

5. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@Bearfly

Is every horse on the list when picking our stables definitely racing or are their horses that won't be racing cause they are truly spuds and just on the list to make it harder?

Cause I've picked I think 4 at 25k and 3 of which I don't know much about !

6. Bearfly

@ Sainter

It is a tough task to sift through the list of horses available - like you, there were alot that I had not heard about personally (and I follow the nags closely)!!!

The way I am approaching this is to select my 10 horses now with the view to make changes on Friday/Sat early morning when I have the fields for the 2 meetings this weekend (hoping to have at least half of my stable actually running this weekend sometime), but also have a couple of top stayers who'll be running in the lead-up races to the Cup.

So my suggestion would be to take a similar approach, as well as delving into as much racing news as possible to try and unearth that hidden gem which could be the difference to winning or losing.

7. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

@ Bear, I would like to go in the comp but I am going to be overseas for a few weeks during the spring carnival so I will have to give it a miss.

One of my mates won the overall comp last year. He won a trip to Royal Ascot in England and also a trip to the Golden Slipper in Sydney. He knows his stuff, he has just started his own betting website. I guess he will be around the mark again this year. Although the overall prize this year is pretty lame in comparison to last year.

8. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@Steve

What's his betting website called?

9. Bearfly

@ Steve

Definitely a lame prize this year compared to last years - a miserable 5% share in an untried horse with fees paid for 2 years pales into insignificance compared to the prize you described that your mate won!!!

The competitions budget at Sky must be a little light on this year :)

Also wouldn't mind knowing your mates new site.

10. Steve

The website is: www.frontpageratings.com.au

11. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Just booked a 2 week stint in 'Fantasy Sports Anonymous' then cancelled it and joined this league.
    Hoping I have as good a spring carnival as I did last year but the mug punter in me seems to have shown his ugly head again..... in memorium of 'Fields of Omagh'

12. whips

whips New Member

Well done, Bear.
    I'll be in!!!

13. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

Horses are like SC. No guarantees. Noticed Chrystal Lily (RIP) is in. Gotta do your research.

14. Bearfly

@ dabombers & whips

Great to have you both on board, I am definitely looking forward to having a good Spring Carnival again this year after having some good success last year cleaning up on the Cup and the Oaks.

@ melbandy

Definitely need to do alot of solid research with a few horses in the list not going to be running at all during the Carnival (Rebel Raider is out through injury again) - seems like the list of horses was collated several months ago considering many of the top internationals are not even mentioned (top HK sprinter Bear Hero isn't listed but confirmed to be coming over for the Patinack Farm Classic on the final day at Flemington) - but to give them credit, they do say that horses could be added to the list during the comp.

All in all, it should be a good Spring Carnival :)

15. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Big Test Icicles are in!!

16. Bearfly

Good to have the Testes on board mate :)

17. Steve

For those who are interested there is a last man standing comp for the spring carnival on Sportsbet which has $50k as the first prize. I received an email about it last week.

Sorry I can't post the link for it as I am at work at the moment and they restrict all the gambling sites (boo).

18. Bearfly

Cheers Steve, I will have to log in to my account there and check it out.

19. Bearfly

Ok, so far we have 10 in the league (can have up to 20 by what I have read on the site).

Participants so far are:
    Myself - Bearfly
    FoxSportNews - White Caviars
    Melbandy - Melbandy Salutes
    Dabombers - Fields of Omagh
    StKildaThunda - Big Test Icicles
    Whips - Whips

Then we have those whose stables I haven't been able to match with their TS name

Savage CS
    ItautItawapuddytat
    SUPERFASTHORSEYS
    Celery

Still have until this Saturday (1st October) 10am AEST to join up and enter for anyone else wanting to join.

20. whips

whips New Member

Bear,
    FYI, whips' stable name is now Gongolfin which is the name I failed dismally with a couple of years ago. It's due for a change of luck!!