TEAM OF THE YEAR: PART 1.

Discussion in 'Blog' started by dabombers, Jun 30, 2008.

By dabombers on Jun 30, 2008 at 10:00 AM
  1. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Oh, we are all bloody bored this week with no trades, captian selections or anything to worry about. So, hopefully I keep you interested with an exciting series of blogs, going through the team of the year. Today we will start with the backline and hopefully get a couple more done during the week.

<!--more-->
    At the start of the year if you were offered these two backlines, which would you take?

1. Sammy Fisher, Lindsay Gilbee, Peter Burgoyne, Chadwick Cornes, Darren Milburn, Andrew McLeod and Nathan Bock.

2. Graham Johncock, Joel MacDonald, Chris Newman, Joel Bowden, Goddard, Daniel Pratt, Jarred Waite.

I reckon 99.99% would have gone for number 1, but believe it not number 2 is actually the group of the highest averaging backs all year. Wonder why, those bottom on have increased 74 points on the their average, thats 10 points per player including Bowden drop from 117 last year. Joel Bowden is lucky to sneak in with his 225, and only playing 9 games. So, instead will put in the player with the next highest average in the actual team of the year. Guess who? Heath Shaw. I think you guys gotta stop knocking his low scores cause he actually doing better than most ya other backmen.

This is also something I found interesting, that there is only two players that average over 100, Stiffy (101) and MacDonald (100). There is the same amount of rucks that average of the ton. Unbelievable.

Lets go through player by player...

Graham 'Boner' Johncock.
    This bloke hasnt averaged 100+ since 2005 and last year only managing an average of 86. And now he the highest scoring back of the year, quite an achievement. Why the change? Crows gameplan. I havent seen alot of the Crows this year, but what I have seen is alot of chipping around the backline, and I hate to hear the stat on Stiffy to Bock Choy passes, The Choy is actually the 6th highest total points of the year, but just missed out in the average stakes. Also, with McLeod struggling it means Boner gets alot more ball. Get it? Not gay.

Joel 'Old' MacDonald
    Only played 13 games in the last two years, and I take that is cause of injury? And, only averaging 74 last year, well done to thoose who got him since Round 1, and it only took two rounds and you were loving it with a 161 agaisnt the pies. Consistency isnt his greatest trait but you wouldnt knock back an average of 100. With Drummond back from injury, expect these scores to drop.

Chris Newman
    Played very game last year and finished with a solid average of 91. Started slow with only the one 100 in the first 7 rounds, then since then has decided to get into it and get all of Jake Kings ball, wanging on an average of 118. While King stays down expect Newman to be up. Dont buy now, he is currently the most expensive backmen.

Joel Bowden
    Its hard to believe that two tigers are in here, but if you score 225, you expect to have an average of 99. Played 3 shockers early in the year and Terry 'tough nuts' Wallace decided to drop him and teach him how to be a defending defender. Definitely didnt do that cause he has averaged a massive 121 since and the normal defender cant do that.

Brendon Goddard
    Didnt play until round 3, and alot saying he was a risk. But, the best garbage time player of all time was also going to deliver the goods and his lowest score being 70, he is always a certain for a good score. Him and Fisher usually do alot of Stiff-Bock, Bowden-Newman and Drummond-MacDonald work and us fantasy fans love it, unlike those that want to see a free-flowing game.

Daniel Pratt
    Here come the real surprises. This bloke has only got two scores over the ton, and averages 97. How? He still living in the 90s. A whooping 5 scores in that range, plus another two at 89. This is a bloke thats averaged only 76 in the past two years, if you actually got him at the start of the year, good on you. Why the sudden increase? I have no idea, havent really been following him.

Jarrad 'Heavy' Waite
    Another bloke that terrible last year with an average of 82, this year him and Pratt must have made an oath to become good fantasy players. Cause thats what he has done with an average of 97. Six scores over 100, he has just been gunning it but, I cant explain the increase maybe a Carlton support has some ideas?

Stayed tuned for the rest of the team.
    &nbsp;

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by dabombers, Jun 30, 2008.