The Podfather: XXX

Discussion in 'Blog' started by TigersTooTough, Jul 17, 2014.

By TigersTooTough on Jul 17, 2014 at 10:00 AM
  1. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

Well, I'm finding the backend of this season quite tough. With players not performing and running out of trades, I'm sure many are in the same boat. It only takes one selection, however, to turn it all around.

We're close to finals time in our leagues and that premiership glory is something driving many on. We need to be wise with our moves at this stage of the season; that great left-field trade, or the well selected VC loophole could guide you to the flag. It's the most important time of the SC season.

It's a split round this week but I'll be treating this as a normal round in terms of players shown below (nothing next week). At this stage, it's all about the intestinal fortitude one is willing to have in their trades.

Sam Fisher (StK) - Def - $430,300 - 102.00 - 0.32%
    Fisher came in for his first game last week in the heavy loss to North Melbourne and looked solid. Old mate Chips” was once a Supercoach lock in defence, however injuries and possible indiscretions have had an effect over the last two seasons. Still, after picking up 102 from 15 touches and 6 tackles, he could be worth a look. Let's face it, the ball is going to be in the Saints' backline a fair bit. If Fisher can regain his ability to intercept, while keeping his tackle numbers up, he could be a good selection. Really risky. Can wait a week or two before jumping on.

Shannon Hurn (WCE) - Def - $456,500 - 88.17 - 3.01%
    After an explosive return from injury, Hurn has dropped off significantly over the past 3 rounds averaging just 77. He hasn't been driving the ball inside 50 as much, losing points for his lack of goal assists. Being such a damaging player, it wouldn't surprise anyone to see Hurn tagged. I'd suggest his next two opponents don't play with that sort of player in mind meaning he has every chance of reaching his BE of 115 against Richmond and going back up in price. Can still average 95 from here.

Callan Ward (GWS) - Mid - $582,800 - 115.25 - 6.57%
    I was wrong last week with my assessment of Ward. I said that he'd be a good replacement for Ablett, although he had to face Crowley so the suggestion was to maybe look elsewhere. He responded with a 131 in a heavy defeat which shows how good the GWS captain has become. Whenever he receives close attention, you will see Ward's kick-to-handball ratio fall well below 1:1 (9 kicks 20 handballs last week). The area that really improves in these situations for Ward is tackling. Regardless of what the scoreboard says, Ward loves crunching the opposition and having a real crack. His SC scores have reflected this with only one really poor score this year. Can't see him stopping this dominant run anytime soon. Extremely reliable. Get him in.

Brendon Goddard (Ess) - Mid - $569,100 - 106.92 - 6.90%
    Goddard returns this week after suspension and will slot back into the midfield with ease. Essendon were dominant last round against Collingwood, which is good for Goddard as the hard work of Stanton, Heppell and Zaharakis means he could receive less attention. The Bombers have put the whole ASADA situation aside in recent times and have played some excellent football. Their run home isn't too bad and the hunger to play finals will drive the experienced players on. Goddard could really tear the opposition apart over the next 6 weeks. I see Goddard being in the top 7 scorers from this point onwards.

Brad Crouch (Adel) - Mid - $477,700 - 88.40 - 0.39%
    There was a stage last week where I traded out Ablett and put Crouch into my team, to save some cash and get premium output. I didn't end up sticking with it, but it shows how highly I rate him. Sure, he turns the ball over a bit and handballs a little too much in some matches, but the kid oozes class and is sure to be a SC star in years to come. Crouch had a career best 40 disposals last week which resulted in 107SC. The Crows have a good run in the final 4 weeks of the season where they'll be fighting as hard as they can to challenge Gold Coast, Collingwood and Essendon for a spot in the AFL finals. Crouch is now an important part of that midfield and can become a real barometer in that time. Again, not one for the purists. He could go big soon.

Ivan Maric (Rich) - Ruck - $489,700 - 89.71 - 0.80
    We shouldn't expect Ivan to repeat his 2012 heroics when he averaged 113. However if the last couple of rounds are anything to go by, he could be ready to explode. Having picked up 34 hitouts against Stefan Martin and 40 against Matthew Lobbe, Maric is looking like a good POD selection for Sandilands after his omission from the Fremantle side this week. Maric plays his best footy when he takes most of the ruck and only spends a little bit of time up forward. As long as Vickery is playing over Hampson, this will be the case. So, worry not about who Ivan is coming up against in the coming weeks, focus on which CHF Richmond decides to go with. It tells us more about Ivan's scoring potential than anything else. Hampson won't feature again this season. Lock him in.

Ben McGlynn (Syd) - Fwd - $473,300 - 93.15 - 1.77%
    A cheaper alternative to the popular Swans duo of Parker and Franklin is teammate Ben McGlynn, who is enjoying a career best season. He fights for the ball like no other, taking on talls, smalls and even his own teammates to ensure he gets the footy. A hard-tackler, McGlynn has already featured in the Podfather and continues to score well. He has dropped below 91 just once in his past seven outings which is a good sign of consistency. Hitting the scoreboard as well, McGlynn is one of those players Longmire wouldn't even think about resting coming up to finals time. Good option to bring in for Wingard, if trades aren't much of an issue.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by TigersTooTough, Jul 17, 2014.