The Real 'FU Rules Discussion

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by Tomster, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

[span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;]
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;]1. TEAMS

(a) Teams should be named after a remote Australian town/place. For consistency's sake.

(b) Squads of 26 players during competition

(c) Weekly playing sides will consist of 15 players. 4 Defenders, 4 Midfielders, 1 Ruck, 4 Forwards and 2 Interchange.

(d) The Interchange players can be of any position. They score full points.

(e) 4 Emergencies can be selected. 1 emergency per line.They come in if a selected player does not play.

(f) You can play someone in the wrong position, ie. Cloke in Defence, but they only get half the points.

(g) SC points and player positions.

(h) If you don't field a team, you don't get no points. If you do it again, serious questions will be asked about your commitment <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;]

2. FIXTURE

(a) Teams will play each other once in the regular season. Play will not occur in the 3 bye rounds (8, 9, 10). <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](b) One match will be held over the 2 week bye rounds (18, 19) <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](c) Finals will be held in the final 3 weeks of the season (21,22,23). [span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;] d) There will be a rolling lockout open during all split rounds. Each time it will close at the start of a game, the exact same as SC e) Any non-split rounds will be locked out at the beginning of the first match of the week f) Matches on Thursday will be locked out at the start of the game, but games for the rest of the round will be locked out at the beginning of the game on Friday
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;]

3. FINALS

(a) Final 8, knockout style over 3 weeks (R22-24). <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff;](b) In the first week the Top 3 teams get to choose which team they play in the first week of the finals out of positions 5-8. Eg. 1st gets 1st choice, 2nd gets 2nd choice etc. <div style='background-color: #ffffff;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](c) In the second week of the finals, the four winners from the previous play off in seeded matches, according to the ladder at the end of the regular season. Eg. 1st vs 4th, 2nd vs 3rd. <div style='background-color: #ffffff;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;]
    <div style='background-color: #ffffff;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](d) The third week of the finals will consist of one match between the winners of the previous weeks matches. This match is known as the ORFFU Grand Final. <div style='background-color: #ffffff;]
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;]4. TRADES

<p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](a) 2014 Preseason Trade Period opens early February after the first draft and closes before the second draft. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](b) You can trade picks (to the preseason 2014 and the midseason 2014 draft) and players. Trades can be uneven (eg. 2 players for 1). <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](c) You can only trade draft picks in the 2 drafts directly ahead e.g. as above. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](d) Trades can be vetoed if a majority of 5 non-participating teams cast a veto vote. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](e) Teams will have roughly 48 hours to veto a trade proposed (eg. If a trade is proposed at 2.15pm on a Tuesday, ORFFU coaches have until 10pm on a thursday to cast their votes. I'll be checking/ratifying at 10pm, basically). <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](f) Trades posted on ________ will only have until _________ to have vetoes cast. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](g) All proposed trades should be posted in the relevant preseason blog. Likewise, all vetoes should be posted on this thread. I'll tally up the votes and update the OP as required. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](h)Mid Season Trade Period will occur during the first multi-bye weeks (8, 9, 10)

<p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;]5. DELISTMENTS <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](a) At 7pm EDT, Wednesday February 27th, ORFFU listscan be no greater than 26 players. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](b) To delist players, simply send me a PM detailing who you want cut. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](c) ORFFU lists may be cut to fewer than 20 players. However, if you cut your list to less than 10 players questions will be asked about WTF you're doing with your team in this competition - rightfully so. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](d) If an ORFFU list exceeds 26 players by the deadline mentioned above, players will be delisted from that team for them (2013 averages from lowest to highest) to take the list down to 26 players and the coach will be in serious risk of losing their place in the ORFFU (I would vote for them to be kicked out). <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;]
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;]6. DRAFT

<p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](a) The draft will commence on the day after SC 2014 positions are announced at 7:00am EST. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](b) 24 hour time limit on picks. If you don't pick within time you will be given the highest ranked player on 2013 averages. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](c) Teams must continue to draft until their lists are at 26 players. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](d) You cannot draft Martin or Hogan yet. No baggsies. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; background-color: #fbfbfb;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](e) Mid Season Draft will happen in the last Bye Week (R13). Draft will run in reverse ladder order as of the end of R10. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff;][span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;](f) Mid Season Draft is not compulsory to participate in.

(g) There is no salary cap. SC dollars do not exist in this universe. [span style='font-size: 13px; color: #000000;]

2. Tomster

<div>Insider said... <br class='Apple-interchange-newline[/img] <table id='tblPostBody59784' width='100%' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0' align='left' border='0' style='margin: 0px 0px 10px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 14px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px;] <tbody style='margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent;] <tr style='margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;] <td align='left' valign='top' style='padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: transparent; margin: 0px !important; width: 100%;] <div id='spBody' class='Forum_Normal' style='font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]Adding my two cents on everything rules related. For the sensitive among us: all opinions expressed herein are just that (my opinions). they are in no way shape or form meant to have any inflammatory nature, nor dint anyones fragile ego due to someone not agreeing with them. i do not cast aspersions on people i dont actually know and i ask you all to do the same. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]In non politically correct phrasing - stop being so soft and jumping at shadows. You may actually enjoy life with a bit more positivity and a bit less woe is me attitude! kids these days...Anyway back to the important stuff: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]Dont like captain idea at all. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]Dont think it matters 2 hoots what each team is named and if there is uniformity or not. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]If going with ORFFL positions (4, 4, 1, 4, 2) then Id prefer a squad size of 23 - that 15 + 2 players coverage for every line. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]Dont like the ability to play players in incorrect positions <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]+ 1 for the 'team review' if people consistently fail to post a team <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]Very big +1 for ability to trade draft picks. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]Id prefer a staggered trade deadline similar to NBA. For example: ability to trade up until round 5 for arguments sake <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]Disagree with ability to trade vetoing <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]Enjoy no salary cap. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]Happy with multiple drafts - i.e. initial/pre season and also a top up in mid season <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]Dont care about timing of aformentioned drafts <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]Have time + supercoach gold/subscription/whatever so happy to help do admin shit. Alternatively wont cut up rough if not required. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]hmmm thats all i can think of at this stage. Like I said, its only a survey of one so dont get all bent out of shape if my views are vastly different to your own. Consensus is king in these setups so every other league im involved in (yes there is life outside of tooserious!!!!) has a 'majority rules' policy to get everyone aligned. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]communication is healthy people, embrace it! <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]love and kisses <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; outline: 0px; background-color: transparent;]insider
    <tr style='margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;]

3. Tomster

Tylo said: <table id='tblPostBody59778' width='100%' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0' align='left' border='0' style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; line-height: 16px; color: #444444;] <tbody style='font-size: 14px;] <tr style='font-size: 14px;] <td align='left' valign='top' style='padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 14px; vertical-align: middle; width: 100%;] <div id='spBody' class='Forum_Normal' style='line-height: 16px;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px;]I have no issue with the current teams rules as they are. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px;]Although I do like wrightbrendan's idea of a leadership group; captain +50%, vc +25%, 2 deputies +10%. I think that's how he had it. It spreads the advantage away from just 1 player and Gaz isn't gonna play forever anyway. I think it would have to be set at the start of the season, barring injury - can't have teams running out with a different skipper every week. To me it adds another layer of realism. That said, if it's not a popular idea I'm more than happy to go with the majority.

Then DamoH said: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Cheers Terry (both for this and getting the ball rolling for the ORFFU). <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Like JPK and TTT I'm generally in favour of keeping the rules of the ORFFL/A...however...the teams area(and possibly delistments, but I'll save that for another day)is the one where I think we might be able to tweak things slightly. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]I like the aspect of captains in all fantasy sports, it gives usa regular decision to make (avoiding the horrors of a set and forget comp). It also gives coaches the chance to win games they would have otherwise lost through bold choices ('It's a bold strategy Cotton'). <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]However, I agree that a single captain gives too much of an advantage to those with GAJ/Pendles. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]I had a quick look at the current averages of the top 36 players and assumed that each team picks on average, i.e. team 1 gets the highest and 36thhighest averaging player, team 2 2ndand 35thand so on. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]If we had captains with double points, then the average extra&amp;rdquo; points would be 114, with a standard deviation of 6. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]However, if we had captains and vice-captains with a 50% loading each then the average extra points would be 109 and the standard deviation drops to just 2. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]I think this might be a way that we could add extra features into our league, without it being structurally unfair. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Edit: just saw Tylo's post! This can be a response to that now...

4. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

@insider Mate, I don't think anyone has any issue with your opinions about the comp. I hope everyone feels free to throw their thoughts out there - the more involvement the better.
    I had an issue with you referring to someone as 'kicking up a fuss' when they were offering advice, and making a point of saying he isn't in this comp when anyone who had read the thread would have obviously known that. I felt that was disrespectful and said so. When you replied to say I was precious, I was quite happy to let it go through and move on. My ego is certainly not dinted and I have no idea where you're getting the 'woe is me attitude' bit from.
    Now you carry on about not casting aspersions on people and in the very next sentence refer to them as 'being soft and jumping at shadows'.
    Mate, I don't get what the attitude is all about. Communication is healthy and everyone else here seems to be managing it just fine. Personally I love my footy but I'm not a regular on internet forums so maybe others can correct me if I am being 'precious' and this type of attitude is acceptable. I just expect people to talk to each other as they would face to face. I don't appreciate it if someone is condescending to my face and I don't appreciate it on the internet either.I joined this comp to have a bit of fun.

5. ddsaints

ddsaints Guest

I like captains, but don't like the idea of not having it on Gaz or Pendles, maybe %50 for captain instead or C and VC both get %50, I'm open toanything really, hopefully I land pick 1 :p

6. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Hey, just to let you know, we (ORFFA) lost a heap of threads yesterday, and the forum page looked all awry, in a similar fashion to yours, and then it all magickly came back to normal today :) also, Walesy has the ability to restore anything that's deleted anyway, so get in touch with him if you need that.
    Also want to add that i reckon it's great to see another Outer Regional Fantasy Football comp :) All the best with it - it's loads of fun :)

7. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

I don't mind when the drafts are, but its best to wait until the AFL teams are more finalised before we start picking our teams. The draft should obviously be a snaking draft. I do agree with the ability to trade picks and players - seems like a decent idea to me.
    I like the idea of 4-4-1-4 with two bench and 4 emergencies. I think that the total team size should be no more than 23 players. I can't remember who, but someone did a few sums earlier, and it got me thinking. With 23 players per team, and 16 teams (or 18) then thats a total player pool of 368 (or 414). I'm not sure how close we get, but with 400-odd players selected we must be getting close to the bottom of the barrel in some instances. I think that delisting players for drafts should be within a range of say 3-10 players per team (ie 3-10 places available to pick players) that way trading for picks and not players becomes more valuable. However you must have enough draft picks to fill an entire squad, but you do not need to use all your picks if you have a full squad.
    I think that trade vetoes should be allowed, if more than a third of non-involved coaches chose to veto. While I can't see it happening, I do think we need the safety-net to prevent a couple of coaches deciding to form a 'coalition' and make a 'super team' by trading their players between eachother. I like the idea of a trade period during the year. Having played supercoach draft this year, I also actually like the idea of being able to pick up any free agent at any time - maybe we can offer this as refuge from LTI's, kind of like the AFL clubs putting players on the LTI list and promoting a rookie. This way you only get penalised for your poor selections, not the bad luck of an injury.
    The fixture should be one game against every other team, a break for the byes, and a knock-out top 8 for the finals. That gets us to 23 weeks, and we're all good (if we have 16 teams we get an extra two weeks here - may be able to break up the season with an extra trade period and no games - depending on the AFL bye schedules).
    I actually prefer to not have captains. If we must though, I think that a C and VC scoring 50% extra each are better than having a leadership team that takes up half the field (over-exaggeration, I know...)
    I think that's enough for now.

8. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

Tylo ill pm you for clarification champ. i have zero desire of hijacking this thread and starting some flame-war. lets concentrate on sorting these rules out!

9. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

To start I must say I'm quite excited about this league and hope that it's played in the right spirit, can't wait until draft time, decisions, decisions. So here's my thoughts:
    - not too fussed about team names but do feel the regional names help to paint a colourful picture. - we could have 2 drafts, one after the national draft for our main list and maybe a second (rookie list draft) during NAB, I've touched on the rookie list idea further down the page. - agree with the 4, 4, 1, 4, 2 with a squad size of 23 - don't like the idea of playing guys out of position, like the LTI contingency of promoting from free agent pool to cover issues, question is how long is an LTI? - agree that if you can't show commitment that your license is revoked. - fine with fixturing and finals details, would be great to think sometime later down the track there could be a champions league type setup across the ORFF comps (something we could look at later) - like the idea of a mid season trade period in first season with pre & mid season trade periods in future seasons. - power to veto should be essential however think you'd need half of the teams to veto (when you take out the participating clubs this would result in a majority rules decision) - can we facilitate 3 way trades if all in agreeance and not vetoed. - happy with mid season trade period during bye weeks 1 & 2 - I prefer the captain & vc system to just captain, however think no extra points would be even better, still have a club captain but he scores as normal - as mentioned above really like the promotion from free agents for pool for LTI's. I think it may be even better to nominate 4 players(these should only be first or second year players to add an element of talent spotting and prevent stock piling) for your rookie list that you can promote for LTI's and you can then promote to your senior list (after delistments) before the next season. Should you not take up he option they return to the pool for anyone to draft.
    My final thought is that we should all enjoy and take part in this process, the other ORFF comps have been successful for a reason, we should learn from them, use them as a base and then add our own twist if it's necessary.

10. Tomster

Hi guys, please post all draft ideas in the other thread, as it just gets far too confusing for me to cross-check every single thread we have.

11. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

As far as squads go this year there have been 814 players, 667 played 1+ games and 496 have played over 1/3 (7 games +). Players per team teams 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    16 352 368 384 400 416 432 448
    18 396 414 432 450 468 486 504
    My suggestion would be 23-26 players per team. Below 23 and teams could be injury-prone. Above 26 and the pool would run out of reliable players. I would be more inclined to go 26 because it creates more combinations for teams and as the maximum renention is 20, coaches would have to pick at least 6 players in the draft. 26 would yield a player total of 468 My vote is for 26, IC should score half points as they have wildcard status. I say we should have 2 drafts, one after the AFL's done theirs, a trade period and a pre-season drop draft. I still think the leadership group would work, (locked in) although the 2x,1.5x would also work well.

12. insider

why do you suggest having mandatory delists? cant see the reasoning behind it

13. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

I'd be against having captains and vice-captains. Think that the scoring should be purely on the players we draft and not doubling the advantage for people with earlier picks. Again, I find myself thinking that we should just use the same scoring and pretty much the same rules as are currently in ORFFL and ORFFA. And I like that we are thinking of having the draft after the actual draft. Maybe we should just say last week of November and let the draft run throughout the whole week......

14. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

insider wrote:
    why do you suggest having mandatory delists? cant see the reasoning behind it Delists make a good reshuffle opportunity and keeps people interested. Normally, people would use delistment to swap out injured / making up the numbers players and also the opportunity of drafting players during the year is good seeing as you can't Free Agent trade like on SC Draft. Mid-season delists are a good opportunity for the lower-placed teams to pick up players and rebuild their season.

15. insider

yep im with you as far as injuries or players whose roles have changed or a diamond in the rough or whatever, but making it mandatory seems a bit odd to me... and hey, im an odd sorta bloke!! Anyway im sure once we get 16/18 confirmed entrants then we can get down to definitive decisions on such things

16. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

I guess the mandatory part... Yeah, it does seem weird but most people would anyway. I guess the mandatory part is so coaches have to think and not just set and forget with a Thursday/Friday Ctrl-V on standby. When I played SC Draft, I sometimes came across Set and Forget teams and they were boring to play against. Most are commited coaches (or should be committed in my case), but the mandatory seems like a Just In Case clause.

17. JPK

HOLKY wrote:
    insider wrote:
    why do you suggest having mandatory delists? cant see the reasoning behind it Delists make a good reshuffle opportunity and keeps people interested. Normally, people would use delistment to swap out injured / making up the numbers players and also the opportunity of drafting players during the year is good seeing as you can't Free Agent trade like on SC Draft. Mid-season delists are a good opportunity for the lower-placed teams to pick up players and rebuild their season. Mandatory delisting is starting to sound a bit silly to me. If you've managed to get together a full list of quality players, why should you be forced to drop a couple? This is why I suggested a range, where the only requirement was that you have enough draft picks to cover all the players you drop, and thus can still compete with a full team. Kind-of like how the AFL does it, where teams are given draft picks, and can trade them, but if they don't want to open up enough spaces on their list, they don't have to use all the picks. I also think that the free agent trading should be available at any time during the season for LTI's. Any player officially listed on the AFL website as being out for 6 or more weeks should be allowed to be dropped and replaced at any time. The 6 weeks being because in normal SC we'd all be dropping a player injured for this long anyway, and its such a big disadvantage becasue each player is unique. This would also help to cycle players around a little, as injured stars may get dropped and other coaches may eb willing to take a punt on them upon return (think Sandilands this year). I still feel that captains are a bad idea, but if the majority say to go with it then we go with it. Maybe we need a poll to settle some of these issues.

18. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

To summarise, you get as many draft picks as the players you delist. As for LTIs, would the 6+ weeks be weeks remaining on injuries? Also, will people be able to trade IN LTIs as freely as trading OUT LTIs.

19. JPK

HOLKY wrote:
    To summarise, you get as many draft picks as the players you delist. As for LTIs, would the 6+ weeks be weeks remaining on injuries? Also, will people be able to trade IN LTIs as freely as trading OUT LTIs. Holky, I was going to praise you for summarising my novel in the space of two lines, but then I'm guessing you went and hit the refresh button, and repeat posted like 12 times!!! I'm pretty-sure its the refresh button that causes most of the repeat posts on TS, so try not to use it! As for your summary - yes, as many picks as you have delistments (or spaces available). - 6 Week LTI would be weeks remaining, as per the official list on the AFL website (even though its rarely accurate). - Could only trade in and LTI if you fit the criteria to trade out an LTI, or if it was trade / draft time. As an example of the LTI trading: If you started the season with Griffen in the ruck then you would have been able to trade him out when he got his season-ending injury (greater than 6 weeks), and could replace him with who-ever you wanted. However, you couldn't start the season with Jacobs (for example) and then decide in round 7 when Naitanui came back (or whatever round it actually was) to trade Sauce for NicNat, assuming NicNat was a free agent, as Sauce was still playing. You'd have to wait for an official trade / draft period. On that, we're going to have a mid-season trade period, right? Will we also have a mid-season draft period to pick up all the players who only came along at the end of the season (T Mitchell, Staker, Sandi as examples)??? Or would you be forced to take the punt at the start of the season, or wait until after the season is over?

20. Tomster

Apoligies guys, appears my front page system is very hard to read and hard to make decisions, fixing it now @JPK: It looks like so far we are in favour of having a mid-season trade period, although not sure about the mid-season draft...