Trading Games 2015

Discussion in 'Leagues' started by BrockyFreo, Feb 8, 2015.

1. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

Welcome Everybody to the 2015 Trading Games league! What's it all about? Basically every year some of the leaders in the community gather together and choose the players picked in a team we all start with. The players in every team in the group start the same before the round 1 lockout. Then, as the year progresses, and trades are made, the challenge becomes finishing on top of the group with the most points overall. That's it; just use your trades and your emergency/captain picks wisely, and turn the team we all start with into a winning team by scoring the most points. History Last year we decided on a cookie cutter team, including popular premium/elite choices, and the most popular midpricers/rookies. The team was a great foundation (and the winner overall was Buzz who came in the top 200 overall in supercoach for 2014). I believe this is important (to start with a good solid team, not a team of randoms) so that we do have a chance to take out the $50k as well as win this comp. 2015 I think, even following the above structure of picking the best cookie cutter team possible, there are still some options to discuss: 1. Midfield heavy; Choose 7 premium/high priced players in the midfield, to make the most points (and this allows for a harder job for people to manage a sparse backline this year, or trade into the juicy forward line options if they want). 2. Guns and Rookies: Choose only high priced and low priced option only; no midpricers. This option has become less popular with our main teams in the last couple of years due to the rising cost of rookies, however would be a good change to most of our normal teams. 3. Heavy Elite Forward Option: Choose 6 premo forward options (gray, swan, deledio, goddard, franko and bennell for example) as these are players everyone is talking about this year and essentially gives us a second midfield. Starting this way (with a full 6) will create some interesting trade options as people either sideways or downgrade (to improve other lines) or leave it alone. 4. Heavy Rookie Midfield: This involves choosing three ultra elite in the midfield only, and then the rest of the players under $250k. We can then afford premos in the back, rucks and forwards and will give the team the potential to earn the absolute most amount of cash in the first 8 weeks. These are just some ideas to get people thinking. Remember, this is not your main team, this is a team to encourage trading. So try and think about options to create a starting team that will really make people think, and that gives options for both sideways, up and down trades immediately in the first few weeks, however that still scores high enough to go for the $50k. Last year Warsaken picked the final team (that we all copied and started with). It was excellent and if he's willing he may be an option to do so again? Rules: 1. EVERYBODY must start with the exact same 30 players. No exceptions. 2. You don't use your main team, we would prefer if you 'invited' your daughter, wife, grandfather etc to create a team that you help to manage throughout the year. Don't join this league if you don't want to follow rule 1. 3. Like always, let's have fun and keep positive. Banter is expected and welcomed! Anyway, the whole thing is up in the air for discussion as always. What are your thoughts to make it interesting again this year?
    *** EDIT *** <p style='color: #000000; margin-bottom: 10px; background: #ffffff;]DON'T CLICK THIS LINK WITH YOUR NORMAL TEAM. Logout first and then create your family members team, and then click this link while logged in as your family member. [span style='font-size: 14px; background-color: #ffffff;]Only the Trading Games teams are to join this group (and the following leagues that will be posted). <p style='color: #000000; margin-bottom: 10px; background: #ffffff;]http://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/group?cic=132075

2. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Hi Brocky, I'd like to participate in this league, missed the boat requesting participation last year (too slow off the mark.....) Team name will be DrowningNotWaving In terms of team structure options you outline below, I've often wondered how a elite heavy midfield would go and would vote for that option from interests sake. Agreed that it is important to start with a good quality, viable team. Cheers, Bill

3. Stampede

Stampede Member

bjaensch wrote:
    [span style='font-size: 10px;]In terms of team structure options you outline below, I've often wondered how a elite heavy midfield would go and would vote for that option from interests sake. I too have often wondered how an elite-heavy midfield would go as logically it's a waste of trades and reduces the good cash cows, but I'm always envious of teams that take this option and they seem to do pretty well so I'd like to see first-hand if there's a flaw in the logic. So I'd also vote for that option, albeit for slightly selfish reasons!

4. NSD

NSD New Member

Im in again this year.

5. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I am also to keen to run again

6. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Just for giggles, an off the cuff mid field premium team heavy team: Goddard
    Rampe
    Maynard
    McKenzie
    Mayes
    Gilbert

Viojo-Rainbow
    D McKenzie

Selwood
    Pendlebury
    Ablett
    Beams
    Sloan
    Liberatore
    Parker
    Heeney

Boekhorst
    Vandenburg
    Drummond

Naitanui
    Z Smith
    M Cox

Bennel
    Motlop
    T Mitchell
    Membrey
    Hogan
    Laverde

Daniel
    Lambert

7. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I skipped this last year, but would like to rejoin for 2015.

8. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

Thanks BrockyFreo for getting this up. If you're willing to take the reins and run with it, i'm happy to step aside this year. I don't have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. I'll definitely be joining in on Trading Games though!

9. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Enjoyed having a try at this last year so I reckon I will have another crack at it again this year

10. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I'll be in this again this year. An an idea for starting team... A cpl years ago, Walesy compiled how often players were selected in all RMTs on TS, and posted the most popular squad. Maybe we can do that and use that team. ?

11. Crafty Yarni

Crafty Yarni Active Member

crafty yarni's wife is super interested in this challenge.

Strawberry Tango is a lock if accepted.

12. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

anthak wrote:
    I'll be in this again this year. An an idea for starting team... A cpl years ago, Walesy compiled how often players were selected in all RMTs on TS, and posted the most popular squad. Maybe we can do that and use that team. ? I like that idea Ant

13. donkey_kong

donkey_kong New Member

Yeh I will have another crack

14. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

Okay here is the Group Link. DON'T CLICK THIS LINK WITH YOUR NORMAL TEAM. Logout first and then create your family members team, and then click this link while logged in as your family member. Only the Trading Games teams are to join this group (and the following leagues that will be posted). [span style='color: #484f54; background: 0px 0px #ffffff;]http://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/gr...

15. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

Here is an idea to get people thinking. This is a 'mostly rookies' team which allows $1.2million still in the bank. This sort of team allows people to start trading up straight away (if they choose) rather than trading sideways (as we normally do in this Trading Games). [​IMG]

16. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

Here is more of a standard cookie cutter team, picking some high quality lads on each line, and then a midpricer here and there, and then just rookies. [​IMG]

17. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

And a Premium Midfield Team (similar to BJaensch's idea above) just to show how it looks? [​IMG]

18. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Hi Brocky, thanks for the proforma team ideas. All look like good options to me. Although the 'super premium mid' team is an interesting idea that I like a lot, it does limit the trading opportunities a bit. I quite like the first team you put up that has a big pool of dough to enable trading straight off the bat if desired. I might propose two changes to it though that would still leave a good sized pool of money: Goldstein for Jacobs (two reasons: free up a bit of money and Jacobs looks like he might be hurt) and Sheppard/Laird/Buntine for Pearce. I have a feeling that poor old Clancee might end up with Crowley's role. And maybe look at Dalgliesh from Essendon in lieu of N Brown. My 2 cents and YMMV :) Cheers, Bill

19. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

I like the super premo team. Thanks Brocky. I've just joined the Llamas to the Trading Games group. Only 4 of us in there atm. Maybe a front page article could drum up some more support??

20. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

The Dragoons are back, Kelli likes the rookies idea in 1st preference, but not overly fussed.