Trading Games 2016

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Mar 21, 2016.

By walesy on Mar 21, 2016 at 4:34 PM
  1. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Everybody to the 2016 Trading Games league!

*** TEAM UPDATED - PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE TO THE ONE SHOWN BELOW BEFORE SATURDAY ***

What's it all about?
    Basically every year some of the leaders in the community gather together and choose the players picked in a team we all start with. The players in every team in the group start the same before the round 1 lockout. Then, as the year progresses, and trades are made, the challenge becomes finishing on top of the group with the most points overall. That's it; just use your trades and your emergency/captain picks wisely, and turn the team we all start with into a winning team by scoring the most points.

Rules:1. EVERYBODY must start with the exact same 30 players. No exceptions.

2. You don't use your main team, we would prefer if you 'invited' your daughter, wife, grandfather etc to create a team that you help to manage throughout the year. Don't join this league if you don't want to follow rule 1.

3. Like always, let's have fun and keep positive. Banter is expected and welcomed! Anyway, the whole thing is up in the air for discussion as always. What are your thoughts to make it interesting again this year?

Throwing this post up to gauge interest in this year's effort. It's getting pretty close to the deadline, so I'll get a team up shortly. Will be very cookie cutter I reckon (Unless there's any objections to that in the comment below)

Will also have to throw a shoutout to the Two-Time champion, @Buzzboys - you gunna throw down for the triple crown this year?

How to Join?

Step 1: Sign up to the Trading Games group
    http://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/afl/classic/group?cic=615554

Step 2: Makes sure you have the correct team entered! Prior to the Melbourne-GWS game the team should look like this:
    TradingGames2.JPG

Step 3: Choose your captain/vice captain and any emergencies. You could get the jump on the rest of the field with some astute choices even with an identical 30-man squad.

Step 4: If you wish, you can use DPP to rearrange the 30 players shown above. e.g. Petracca could be brought to the MID line and Wells could become a FWD. Just don't change the squad of 30.

Good luck everybody and happy trading!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by walesy, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Jason
      Jason
      To establish just what the cookie cutter team might look like, here are the 20 most popular players for each position as of today:

Rucks:

1. Grimley (28%)
      2. Goldstein (27%)
      3. Cox (26%)
      4. Gawn (22%)
      5. Naitanui (17%)
      6. Lobbe (14%)
      7. Martin (12%)
      8. Leuenberger (12%)
      9. Blicavs (11%)
      10. Currie (9%)
      11. Vardy (7%)
      12. Smith (7%)
      13. Chol (7%)
      14. Wyatt (7%)
      15. Jacobs (6%)
      16. Sinclair (5%)
      17. Mumford (5%)
      18. Tippett (4%)
      19. West (3%)
      20. Kreuzer (3%)

Forwards:

1. Kerridge (60%)
      2. Wells (49%)
      3. M.Brown (48%)
      4. Petracca (45%)
      5. Martin (39%)
      6. Barlow (33%)
      7. McDonald-Tipungwuti (32%)
      8. Grimley (28%)
      9. Cox (26%)
      10. B.Kennedy (24%)
      11. Menadue (22%)
      12. Franklin (20%)
      13. Hall (16%)
      14. Adams (16%)
      15. De Goey (15%)
      16. Simpkin (15%)
      17. Kommer (14%)
      18. D.Menzel (13%)
      19. Anderson (13%)
      20. Dahlhaus (12%)

Defenders:

1. M.Brown (Ess) (48%)
      2. Weitering (38%)
      3. McDonald-Tipungwuti (32%)
      4. Shaw (31%)
      5. Hartley (27%)
      6. Dea (23%)
      7. Aish (18%)
      8. Broad (16%)
      9. Adams (16%)
      10. Rich (15%)
      11. Yeo (14%)
      12. Seedsman (14%)
      13. Smith (13%)
      14. Rance (13%)
      15. Laird (13%)
      16. K.Collins (12%)
      17. Bartel (12%)
      18. Suckling (12%)
      19. K.Kolodjashnij (11%)
      20. Ruggles (11%)

Midfielders (excluding players who are DPP):

1. Liberatore (52%)
      2. Dangerfield (47%)
      3. Ablett (39%)
      4. Fyfe (38%)
      5. Mills (36%)
      6. Rockliff (30%)
      7. Pendlebury (23%)
      8. Davis (19%)
      9. Oliver (18%)
      10. Parish (17%)
      11. B.Crouch (16%)
      12. M.Crouch (13%)
      13. Crowley (13%)
      14. Priddis (13%)
      15. Gresham (11%)
      16. Keays (11%)
      17. Gore (11%)
      18. Hannebery (10%)
      19. Cripps (10%)
      20. S.Mitchell (9%)
    2. Jason
      Jason
      Rookie selections are probably the most important, and we won't get a good read on them until Thursday however. Which may well cutting it too fine for most.

As of today, the most popular rookie-priced options under $200k are:

1. Kerridge (60%)
      2. M.Brown (Ess) (48%)
      3. Petracca (45%)
      4. McDonald-Tipungwuti (32%)
      5. Grimley (28%)
      6. Hartley (27%)
      7. Cox (26%)
      8. B.Kennedy (23%)
      9. Dea (23%)
      10. Menadue (22%)
      11. Davis (19%)
      12. Broad (16%)
      13. Adams (16%)
      14. Kommer (14%)
      15. K.Collins (12%)
      16. Milera (12%)
      17. Gresham (11%)
      18. Keays (11%)
      19. Ruggles (11%)
      20. Gore (11%)
    3. walesy
      walesy
      I believe in the past, we tried our darnest to avoid non-playing rookies, but locked the team out on the night before?

Or did we just lock in the Thursday night teams?

Either way, I imagine that if you're interested enough to get involved in this- then you'll be around on Thursday night/Friday to get the updated squad entered in (As you'll be tweaking your own also! :D)
    4. Jason
      Jason
      I gave this a miss in 2015 and can't remember exactly what we did in 2014. Think the idea was to get the most cookie cutter team that could be found based on RMT posts. I think it was locked down a bit too early, but that made it a bit more interesting as we all scrambled to find some cash generation options for the non-playing slots.
    5. walesy
      walesy
      @BrockyFreo You set this up last year yeah? How did we go with the team selection? Any tips on what worked/didn't work? :D
    6. Owen
      Owen
      I'll be keen, I mean my wife will be keen.
    7. Len
      Len
      I'm not sure, it means losing my 30 giants team, but I guess I can do eeet :)
    8. James84
      James84
      I would be very keen to get my 'wife' on board for this!
    9. Jason
      Jason
      My mother-in-law can't wait to get into this.
    10. anthak
      anthak
      I think last year we checked back in on the friday and locked in all rookies then, but we set a time for when it would be done by so we all knew when it would be set.

Personally Im a fan of locking the whole team in on the Thursday, even if it means we cop zeros. we are all in the same boat anyway.
      I would rather spend Friday thinking about my own team.
    11. anthak
      anthak
      My mum is keen to play in this btw :)
      • Like Like x 2
    12. BrockyFreo
      BrockyFreo
      Great Walesy, I didn't have time to do it this year, but super glad to be a part of it again!

Last year we had the team locked away about now (a few days before the teams were released) for pretty much the whole team, however definitely for the Richmond/Carlton players (no risks were taken, no players at all from those teams that may not play).

Then we had the final teams updated by Friday Lunchtime (good friday because there is no games), and then all players had 24 hours to make the final updates to be ready for the second game saturday lunchtime (with no further changes occurring after this).

I'm happy with whatever team you guys decide, the idea in this is it doesn't matter the team, @Buzzboys will win it anyway (ho ho ho). But seriously, can't go wrong this year.
      Structure I think would be guns and rookies,
      3 Defender Premo
      4 Midfield Premo plus Libba
      2 Ruck Premo
      3 Forward Premo plus Wells.
      The rest rookies and premo can be anything with Premo being a loose term (Rocky, D Rich for example)

Main thing is to decide on a team by Tuesday night at the latest, to give people time to lock in the Richo/Blues players early.
      • Like Like x 2
    13. Buzzboys
      Buzzboys
      Count me in guys. Structure looks fine to me.
    14. dabombers
      dabombers
      Hey all interested in trying this out this year!!
    15. warsaken
      warsaken
      The Llamas will be in again this year!
    16. Jason
      Jason
      Here is the most cookie-cutter team that I can make from the most-popular selections (as of today):

Capture.JPG

This team is pretty darned close to the structure proposed by @BrockyFreo, with one more MID premium and one less premium in DEF.

It also has the top 26 most popular selections as well as the 28th (Adams), 32nd (Aish) and 34th (Broad). The only players from the top 30 most popular not represented are Oliver (27th), Hall (29th) and Naitanui (30th).

Naitanui doesn't get a gig because there are two premium rucks who are more popular. Aish and Broad are from outside the top 30 because there aren't enough defenders within the top 30, given that we are using 2 of them on the FWD bench.
      • Like Like x 2
    17. Jason
      Jason
      Pros:
      A bit of spare cash to play with for initial correction trading

Cons:
      Petracca won't play R1

Thoughts folks?
      It's not the best, but it also certainly isn't the worst.
    18. walesy
      walesy
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Len
      Len
      The Grimley pick makes my skin crawl, Aish feels like a BF pick, apart from that I can dig it
      • Like Like x 2