UFC 162

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Guest Poster, Jul 26, 2013.

By Guest Poster on Jul 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  1. Guest Poster

Guest Poster Guest

<p style='font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-variant: normal; line-height: 18px;][span style='font-size: 10px;]I like that this place is a place for fantasy sports fans to get together, and discuss all things fantasy and all things sports.
    <p style='font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-variant: normal; line-height: 18px;][span style='font-size: 10px;]But, whenInsidersat down to review the UFC, I was hesitant, the fantasy scene is non-existant and well, honestly, I know nothing about the sport!
    <p style='font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-variant: normal; line-height: 18px;][span style='font-size: 10px;]But- I'm not everyone, and he's put together a fantastic review- so if there are a bunch of UFC fans out there- now's your chance to shoot the... stuff, with some like minded folk! ~ walesy
    <p style='font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-variant: normal; line-height: 18px;]

<p style='color: #222222; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 17pt; margin: 12pt 0cm 0pt;]UFC 162 was headlined by the Middleweight Championship bout between long time title holder Anderson Silva (prev. 33-4 in career, 16-0 in the UFC) and undefeated top contender Chris Weidman (prev. 9-0 career).
    <p style='color: #222222; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 17pt; margin: 12pt 0cm 0pt;]
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; margin: 0cm 0cm 8pt; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 12pt;]Anderson Silva's amazing run of 2,458 days asUFCmiddleweight champion (thanks for that stat I blatantly plagiarised yahoo) ended with him getting knocked the f*#! out&amp;rdquo; as a result of an arrogant and short-sighted decision aka being a smart ass.
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; margin-left: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;]The Spiderwas constantly taunting the dangerous All-American, leaving his hands down and urgingWeidmanto come at him. He gave Weidman little to no respect with free shots at his chin in abundance. Several times he belittled the challenger by pretending to &amp;lsquo;be rocked' by shots and wobbling like a jellyfish on a dance floor.
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; margin-left: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;]With one of the most stunning finishes inUFChistory Weidman caught Silva on the chin with a left hook shortly after one of Silva's aforementionedSaturdaynight moves. Hands down, chin up and arrogance aplenty, Weidman took his chance and went WHACK. He capitalized quickly and finished the fight on the ground with several more devastating punches, but personally I think Silva was out from the standing hook.
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; margin-left: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;]The win gave the UFC its first new 185-pound champion since October 14, 2006, when Silva took the belt from Rich Franklin.
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; margin-left: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;]Silva attempted to be humble in a post-match interview, claiming he gave his best but now Weidmanisthe best, but at the same time declining a rematch and bizarrely stating he would continue to fight but he was done with the belt/title fights (????)&amp;hellip; Maybe it was just the language barrier between the Brazilian and me or maybe he was in strife after being knocked out for the first time in an MMA fight. Who knows? Anyway all is forgotten now as Dana White announced that thereWILLbe a rematch onDecember 28, 2013(yay).
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; margin-left: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;]Moving on to the undercards, we had one of my favorites Frankie &amp;lsquo;The Answer' Edgar in a non title fight versusCharles &amp;lsquo;do bronx' Oliveira.Great fight with Frankie taking the points via Unanimous decision. Oliveira had a sizeable reach advantage which made Frankie's brawling in-close style harder to execute, however he found a way to overcome the Brazilians jab and take the W. Gotta love the little 145 pounders (65kgs) doin their thing.
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; margin-left: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;]The Captain Snooze award went to the fight between Tim Kennedy and Roger Gracie. You'd think with the pedigree of big Rog (pronounced Hodger - awesome I know) and his family's bloodline he would've smashed the fellow UFC debutant Kennedy, however the 3 five minute rounds were possibly the longest of my life. The most notable things about this matchup were that big TK got the win by unanimous decision and also that I considered taking up smoking again approximately 17 times, followed by watching paint dry and grass grow. I've also just saved you around 13 minutes of your life by advising you not to watch this fight&amp;hellip; you're welcome TS'ers.
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; margin-left: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;]Speaking of contrasts, the brawl between ex-fatty Mark &amp;lsquo;The Filipino Wrecking Machine' Munoz and Tim &amp;lsquo;The Barbarian' Boetsch was a dead set ripper. The last time we saw Munoz in the octagon was when he got hammered by the new Middleweight Champion (scroll up: Chris Weidman!!). This performance was worlds apart with good wrestling, great ground and pound, plus a feel-good story to boot! Timmy, another one of my favs (I've got a few) couldn't seem to get his game going. In a post-fight interview he quipped 'I'm not sure what I was thinking out there... I was just a little bit off. My timing just wasn't there. I had the cardio to keep going, but never pulled the trigger&amp;rdquo;. Unlucky Barbarian, get em next time mate.
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; margin-left: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;]Fight of the night, apart from the obvious, for me was the rumble between Cub Swanson and highly touted German Dennis Siver. The 5thranked contender vs the 6thranked ball of muscle had all the earmarks of being a cracker and it didn't disappoint. Cub Swanson is one super confident individual and old I've got no sense of humor because I'm German&amp;rdquo; Siver didn't take a backward step either. A fairly technical striking match ensued with a pretty even 2 rounds however I always felt Cub was holding something back and biding his time. In the 3rdhe hurt Siver with a straight right and dropped him with another and then swarmed. 2 minutes 24 of the third and Herb Dean stopped it (finally) and the boy from So Cal triumphed.
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; margin-left: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;]
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; margin-left: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm;]That was the Main Card. For those junkies like me who watch the whole meeting, the prelims went as follows (stats from Wikipedia) &amp;gt;&amp;gt;
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;]Weight Class<wbr></wbr><wbr></wbr><wbr></wbr>MethodRound & Time
    <table border='0' cellpadding='0' style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small;]
    <tbody>

<td style='font-family: arial, sans-serif; margin: 0px; padding: 0.75pt 3.75pt 0.75pt 0.75pt;]
    Middleweight

<td style='font-family: arial, sans-serif; margin: 0px; padding: 0.75pt 3.75pt 0.75pt 0.75pt;]
    Andrew Craig

<p style='text-align: center;]def.

Chris Leben

Decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)

<td style='font-family: arial, sans-serif; margin: 0px; padding: 0.75pt;]
    <p style='text-align: center;]3

<p style='text-align: center;]5:00

Lightweight

Norman Parke

Kazuki Tokudome

Decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)

<p style='text-align: center;]3

<p style='text-align: center;]5:00

Heavyweight

<p style='text-align: center;]Gabriel Gonzaga

Dave Herman

TKO (punches)

<p style='text-align: center;]1

<p style='text-align: center;]0:17

Lightweight

Edson Barboza

Rafaello Oliveira

TKO (leg kicks)

<p style='text-align: center;]2

<p style='text-align: center;]1:44

<p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;]
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;]Daniel's brother Andrew Craig beat the man with great tats Chris &amp;lsquo;The Crippler' Leben. To be honest I don't remember much of this fight except that Craig had around double the effective strikes and a couple of takedowns. I'm a fan of Leben but it looked like he was slightly outclassed here by a bloke I admittedly haven't seen much of.
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;]
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;]Stormin Norman Parke was one of my favs from &amp;lsquo;The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes' series with poms vs aussies. He may have snuck in&amp;agrave;la Kevin Pietersen however, as Norm is from Northern Ireland. Good fight but definitely not up to main card standard in terms of technical showcase and cleanliness. Enjoyable though with the Jap Tokudome not disgracing himself by any means.
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;]Gabriel Gonzaga V Dave Herman lasted all of 17 seconds with a big knockout ending Herman's night prematurely. Dave was supposed to fight Shane del Rosario however he had to pull out due to injury and the weird looking unit Gabriel Napao&amp;rdquo; Gonzaga stepped in. Seriously, does anyone else freak out when this guy is getting introduced and he does that weirdo grimace thing into the camera???? The blokes just a strange piece of work. Anyway old mate Dave zigged when he should've zagged and he got tagged. Opened up with a few kicks at Gonzaga and kinda forgot to defend his noggin&amp;hellip; Long story short really.
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;]Edson Barboza is an animal. I could stop right there really. Anyone that discounts the effect of leg kicks in MMA needs to watch this fight. W O W !! 1 minute 44 in the second round the fight was called off with a TKO win due to leg kicks awarded to Barboza. Seriously this bloke throws those kicks with such precision it makes me cringe for his opponent. Scary scary man!
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;]Well that's it from me. All feedback is welcome. First time review though so be kind ;)
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;]Cheers.
    <p style='font-family: Calibri; color: #222222; font-size: small; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;]insider

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Guest Poster, Jul 26, 2013.