ORFFF Fixture and Finals discussion (including Fixture requests and Rivalry Round suggestions)

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by Bearfly, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I am a 100% behind this approach, unless I can pick a shit rival

• Like Like x 1
  2. Len

Without jest I like these two options the best;
    I'm not sure I'd like the final ladder being influenced by an extra game which has the potential for long term bias, eg if the Avengers turn out to be crap than insider is assured of an extra win per year compared to other coaches, so despite the "romance" of the suggestion I feel it fails the fairness and logic tests.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Out of interest who would you pick Len ??

As an alternative we could revise the extra match in 2017 so that we base it on ladder positions from 2016 - ie 2016 grand finalists playoff, losing 2016 prelim finalists playoff, losing 2016 semi finalists playoff, losing 2016 elimination finalists playoff, 9th in 2016 plays 10th in 2016, 11 plays 12th, 13th plays 14th, 15th plays 16 etc

Rivalry round could still be Round 1 if we wanted. Followed by the "Ladder Rivalry Round" in Round 2 (and then in the final round).

4. Len

That's the problem, we wouldn't know now, and once we do it's too late and locked in. There are times when I think the Avengers look really strong and times when I can see weaknesses all over the place, pretty much the same view I have of the other squads :)

I'm not overly averse to an extra game, but I do have a preference to playing each other once, anything else affects the purity of the contest imo.

5. thokash

thokash Full-Time Magician Staff Member

I vote for 15 week season plus 4 weeks finals, excluding the bye rounds obviously but also excluding AFL Round 23, because that can sometimes be an utter disaster.

If we were to play an extra match I'd rather a positional round (ie. 1v2, 3v4, etc) at the end of season than another rivalry round.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Hasn't the AFL introduced a break between rounds 22 and 23 so as to combat the mass restings in round 23?

7. TheTassieHawk

the week off is after Rd23 and before the finals start so only the 8 finals teams get a week off

8. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

I endorse this candidate's suggestion. The AFL may have tried to work around Rd23 but simplest solution for us is to scrap one round and it is the easiest to nix for reasons stated.

• Like Like x 3
  9. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

My preference as well.....

• Like Like x 2
  10. jamabadar

jamabadar Moderator

I agree playing 15/4 seems the easiest solution but i think round 1 is the ideal round to miss because it is played over 5 days Thu to Mon and is Easter some might be away and find it hard to log in, also so much is unknown about what roles players might play with new coaches and player movements.

Round 23 has the potential to be different this year and might produce different results to previous years with players and coaches knowing a rest day is coming.

If a 16th game is decided on why not start with the original draft order 1st v 2nd or 1st v 16th then move to ladder positions next year.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  11. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

+1

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheTassieHawk

Thanks to those who have posted thus far, If I have noted things correctly it appears we have 8 in favour of 15+4 this season (DamoH, Len, Thokash, PL, Choppers, Jamabadar, KI Guy and Leematty who didn't post but liked two of the others posts supporting 15/4) with 2 in favour of the 16/4 alternative (Tyze1 and Bear) and Len perhaps OK with 15/5 as a 2nd option.

If we hear from any one of @insider , @ViQBoZ , @MrsBear , @anthak or @stowie we will no doubt have a pretty clear idea (if we don't already) with regard to the 15/16 roster games decision.

• Like Like x 3
  13. James84

James84 Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the 15/4 with a review post season.

• Like Like x 1
  14. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I prefer 15/4.
    Not sure which round to skip though.
    Maybe we could have an extra week off during midseason break?

15. TheTassieHawk

@Bearfly - maybe Wedge Island vs Black Swamp could be "Battle of the Beasts" or similar play on the Bear and Hawk monikers?

16. Len

Skip 23 for me, no way I trust those pricks to name real squads, week off or not

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheTassieHawk

agreed Len, while I think of it there have been rumours that round 23 might involve a Monday night game as well, added to the number of players who will be done for the season by then it seems the obvious one, not too mention I reckon this years break will be a one-off only

after that my next choices would be round 12, round 16 then round 1

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheTassieHawk

@ViQBoZ - perhaps as the only NSW and Tasmanian ORFFF sides we can have a "First Colonies Cup" or similar prize up for grabs each time we clash ?? Otherwise have a look at any players I pinched the pick before you in the draft and I will do likewise (edit - perhaps Miller, Sutcliffe or Grigg as each of those had me cursing at the time) for a hyphenated rivalry.

19. James84

James84 Well-Known Member

Would be happy to have a Taswegian Tussle! First Colonies Cup works as well.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheTassieHawk

I like both - and could always throw in a Cascade vs Boags Something-or-other as a 3rd alternative