Rules discussion: TRADES

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by anthak, Feb 21, 2016.

1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

4. TRADES
    4(a) – Teams can trade players and/or draft picks during the designated trade periods, ie pre and post Midseason Draft and pre and post Preseason Draft. (For the purpose of this rule the inaugural ORFFF draft will be considered to be the 2016 PSD).
    4 (b) Specific Draft and Trade period timeframes will be communicated in advance by the ORFFF Commissioner and/or Board. As a guide the MSD and MSD trade periods will usually be held during a 3-4 week period around the multibye rounds.
    4(c) Teams may trade players and/or draft picks subject to the restriction that they can only trade draft picks relating to the 2 ORFFF drafts directly ahead.
    4(d) – In the trading period prior to a draft teams can trade uneven amounts of players, however the player component of all trades conducted following the end of the draft most be on a 1:1, 2:2, or 3:3 (etc) basis in order to maintain even player list sizes.
    4(d) Trades can be vetoed if the trade is unbalanced in favour of one of the participating teams and 3 non-participating ORFFF coaches cast a veto vote.
    4(e) Teams will have 1 week to veto a trade proposed prior to the ORFFF season commencing and 48 hours to veto trades agreed during the midseason trade periods (e.g. If a trade is proposed at 2.15pm on a Tuesday post the MSD, ORFFF coaches have until 2.15pm on a Thursday to cast their votes. The Commissioner will then check and ratify the trade or veto if 3 vetos were posted.
    4(f) Trades posted in the final week/48 hours of a trade period will have until 48 hours after the end of the official trade period to have vetoes cast, any players traded in will not be eligible to play for either their old side or their new side until the trade is cleared or vetoed.

Read more at http://tooserious.net/forum/threads...-discussion.88813/page-12#uHvyVSkxvM2wYgh3.99

2. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Any last minute trades should be subject to a reduced veto limit, trading in player that you can't play is dumb.

• Like Like x 1
  3. anthak

Personally, I think we should change a fair bit of this.

I reckon veto periods should always be 48 hours regardless of which trade period it is, except less if the trade period ends too close to the next ORFFF round (as per Len's comment above).

As discussed elsewhere, however I don't think we ever decided either way on it, I reckon we should have trading during drafts (but with a different veto system - a panel of 3 people to decide quickly on all trades during draft)

Also in terms of veto system, I would change the wording of "Trades can be vetoed if the trade is unbalanced in favour of one of the participating teams and 3 non-participating ORFFF coaches cast a veto vote."
    to: "Trades will be cancelled/reversed if 3 ORFFF coaches believe the trade is unbalanced in favour of one of the participating teams and cast a veto vote in the relevant thread."

Lastly, I reckon we should have one of us responsible for trade periods that isn't the commish or board, and they could keep accurate records of squads etc... I think someone has already put their hand up for this yeah? Perhaps we could mention the position in the rules?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  4. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Happy with most of this.
    Agree on veto period being a flat 48 hrs regardless of trade period. And yeah lessened for last minute trades.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

I think your reworded clause is very clear Ant

6. TheTassieHawk

If we have a trade period from September - February as has been mooted then 48 hours seems a very short time to me, but given vetoes would be expected to rare in any case then fair enough - the rule can always be changed later if it is shown to be unworkable.

February/March and MSD 48 hours would be fine IMO.

7. TheTassieHawk

it's probably easier to make sure the trade deadline is set so that it is at least 3 days prior to the next game (or next draft if not trading through the draft)

• Like Like x 2
  8. anthak

Hey lets face it, neither are too clear haha. Its semantics though, because both have same intent. However it comes down to what is an unbalanced trade, so its important to me to get it right, or close to it.

9. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Why does the word veto need two synonyms to explain it better?

3/14 is a rather low threshold to veto imo

10. anthak

I suggested the rewording because a trade isnt necessarily unbalanced unless someone believes it to be.

11. anthak

Sorry, if you're referring to cancelled/reversed, theres probably no need for both.
    Its just that i couldnt work out which was more appropriate. It depends on when we consider the trade to go through. Which is probably at end of veto period, so "cancelled" is probably better.
    We can make it just that. i thought adding "reversed" avoided doubt, but theres no need. I reckon we all know whats going on with it.