Rate My Team 2016 - NAB edition

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Feb 27, 2016.

By Jason on Feb 27, 2016 at 9:11 PM
  1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

So we've had a chance to see something of each team through the first round of NAB challenge matches. Always remember to take pre-season form with grain of salt!

A bit of a worrying trend has emerged - we may have a lack of DEF and FWD rookies to choose from by the time round 1 rolls around. Fingers crossed that some decent cash cows on these lines present themselves! Some cause for concern for all those SC teams who have loaded up on expensive MID players, because that sort of team structure may not be sustainable with this few DEF or FWD rookies.

I'm not convinced that either Collins or Adams will be selected by the Western Bulldogs for R1. Would be great for all SC teams if they did, but not looking likely at this stage. Petracca still in cotton wool is also getting more doubtful for R1 by the day.

Here's my current SC team:
    Capture.JPG

I'm running Mills-free for now, because keeping him would mean downgrading one of my starting keepers to a mid-pricer and I'm not currently convinced on enough of the mid-price options to take that structure.

Probably plenty of changes yet to be made though, particularly as the cash cow situation becomes clearer. But I'm getting more and more comfortable with the starting keepers.

Just as a reminder, the ground rules for RMT are as follows:

1. In order to get feedback on your own team, you must first provide feedback on the teams that have been recently posted. This is the golden rule and is what makes this whole thing work. :)

2. If you just post your team without giving any feedback, your post will be deleted.:mad:

3. Please refrain from commenting on teams that have been posted by others that have not followed the golden rule.:cool:

4. Keep it civil. Constructive criticism is fine. But there is a line and please don't cross it. :eek:

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Feb 27, 2016.

1. RPritch
      RPritch
      Like the team Nick. I'd personally pick Birchall > Gibson since they're at the same side, in the same position (for SC) and I believe Birchall will simply accumulate more points over the season at a cheaper price. However it's no certainty. Other than that I think the side looks really solid and De Goey has impressed me so far
    2. walesy
      walesy
      Quick straw poll- what do we do if Petracca lines up for the VFL in round 1?

At the moment, I'd be inclined to leave him in, unless there's a better option that presents, cause you know that he's going to be getting games- and likely they will be before rookie-culling season.

Though you do lose an excellent downgrade option if he does take 4 weeks to get a game?
    3. Owen
      Owen
      I'll probably keep him, maybe in midfield bench if more rookies don't eventuate there. This article: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-02-28/brayshaw-injury-gives-jones-a-fright seems to point to Petracca not playing in the first few rounds. So might play in round 3?
      • Like Like x 1
    4. RPritch
      RPritch
      One could hope to gain cash from someone like Sam Michael or Mason Cox in R3 and use Petracca as the loophole for first 2/3/4 rds until he's back
    5. Owen
      Owen
      What's people's thoughts on David Swallow done for half the season, does this make Jesse Lonergan an option? Aaron Hall? Could make Darcy MacPherson a no brainer (hopefully)
      • Like Like x 1
    6. DannyG
      DannyG
      I ran with Lambert last year and regrated missing out on Miller at the start of the season. I rather start with a full squad and generate more cash.
      • Like Like x 3
    7. walesy
      walesy
      Yep, definitely opens the door to both of them! Aaron Hall also a chance to keep his awesome finish to the season happening into this one.
    8. Royboy Forever
      Royboy Forever
    9. Royboy Forever
      Royboy Forever
      The Birchall/Gibson pick is interesting. I will have one or the other, Birchall's average was better before Lake came along and then Gibson took over with the higher average. We don't know what will happen now but I am with RPritch at the moment and have Birchall in my team
    10. Penske file
      Penske file
      Any love for Fantasia in the risk/hope category. I figure there will be a lot of action on bombers backline, he can play. Thoughts?
    11. Nick
      Nick
      I just feel like Gibbo's ability to rack up kicks and marks is greater than Birchall's, and he is constantly being tried to be freed up by his teammates. However it is true that it is a little bit of an unknown without Lake. NAB scores so far have been promising though.
    12. Nick
      Nick
      As a small defender he may have some lock down roles, but if he's being used a linkman out of defence his scores should benefit. Should get plenty of chances this year. I would say one for the watchlist.
      • Like Like x 2
    13. Lion on the ground
      Lion on the ground
      Hi guys, so this is my second effort.

Please let me know what you think.

$85,700 in the bank as a fighting fund
      my team.jpg
    14. Lion on the ground
      Lion on the ground
      And for the record, i think those teams with Aish, Yeo or Buddy Franklin may be using early trades. Think Aish will end up a flop, Buddy will still be struggling with his mental health which is a tragedy and Elliot Yeo, pfft, cant see him being top 15 defenders, in my opinion Johannisen is a better option at $25,000 cheaper.
    15. Jason
      Jason
      POD central. Structure looks solid (once I figured out that on each line your players weren't sorted by price!).

Lots of mid-pricers, think you will have to be lucky for all of them to give you increased value on their start price but you will be in a great place if they do! I'm backing Sheridan and Libba but don't have the balls to pick the rest of your mid-pricers.

I don't like the Wells pick much. For a similar price I'd pick Howe in defence instead, although I'm not touching anyone in that 250k price range as a general rule. Just think that he will disappoint.

Overall a good effort.
      Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
      • Like Like x 1
    16. walesy
      walesy
      That is one of those teams where you're backing yourself in. Love it!
    17. Lion on the ground
      Lion on the ground
      Thanks Jason, my thoughts are that my midfield will be upgrade crouch and libba with a rookie dongrade each up to fyfe and danger by the bye rounds assuming libba isn't a keeper, Grundy and a rookie up to Goldy around the same time, then rookie upgrades for the fwd def line. I think my first 4 fwds will be keepers, as with first 4 def's.

How much is a crystal ball going for these days ???
    18. RPritch
      RPritch
      I am definitely backing in Libba as a keeper, but that doesn't mean it'll just happen. However, what is your justification for believing Johannisen and Sheridan will both improve enough to be keepers? Just an honest question as I'm struggling to see what the reasoning is.
      For JJ: the Dogs have the most competition in the AFL for Half Backs and Wingers, not that he won't play every week, but it is hard to see which ones out of JJ, Suckling (who will play a fair bit of fwd it seems), Bob Murphy, M.Boyd, Wood, Macrae and perhaps some of their many more pure on ball types being forced to play out wide as they can't all play on the inside at the same time will actually gain the SC points.
      For Sheridan: Know less about him and the Freo set up and it does seem like he will fit into some role that may yield SC points, but can you really see him surging through the ranks to be a keeper for the whole year?
    19. Lion on the ground
      Lion on the ground
      thanks for the reply RPritch

I think Johannisen will play the rebounding defender roll more this year, his disposal efficiency last year was 75.6%, averaging over 2 kicks to every handball. With Matthew Boyd and Bob Murphy being both 34, i think this year will be the year they hand the quarterback role to a guy like Johannisen. Sucking will plug a hole in the forward line and the rest of the guys will potentially rest at half back, possibly seeing some midfield time for Johannisen.

Sheridan, the Dockers defence needs run and carry, and he is the same as Johannisen, over 75% efficiency last year and almost double the kicks to handball ratio.

Both guys just need more opportunity, but i can see potential for them both to be top 20 defenders. If they are my D5 and D6 by the bye round, I think iI will be more than happy.

What do you think ??
    20. RPritch
      RPritch
      Sounds like you have put plenty of thought into them as picks. I do really like what I have seen of Johannisen so far and have always followed the Dogs as my 2nd team so have seen plenty of him. Sheridan is obviously the cheaper of the two and perhaps the more unique, even though I haven't really seen either of them in a side yet, which does mean that if they both do really well you will definitely have an advantage over everyone else and of course it's no fun and ultimately no good (in terms of really, really getting up there) to have a completely prototype team. My defence is very up in the air for now in comparison to the rest of my own side so I do think the premium (or midprice) defenders are the hardest to pick out of everyone