Rate My Team 2016 - NAB edition

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Feb 27, 2016.

By Jason on Feb 27, 2016 at 9:11 PM
  1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

So we've had a chance to see something of each team through the first round of NAB challenge matches. Always remember to take pre-season form with grain of salt!

A bit of a worrying trend has emerged - we may have a lack of DEF and FWD rookies to choose from by the time round 1 rolls around. Fingers crossed that some decent cash cows on these lines present themselves! Some cause for concern for all those SC teams who have loaded up on expensive MID players, because that sort of team structure may not be sustainable with this few DEF or FWD rookies.

I'm not convinced that either Collins or Adams will be selected by the Western Bulldogs for R1. Would be great for all SC teams if they did, but not looking likely at this stage. Petracca still in cotton wool is also getting more doubtful for R1 by the day.

Here's my current SC team:
    Capture.JPG

I'm running Mills-free for now, because keeping him would mean downgrading one of my starting keepers to a mid-pricer and I'm not currently convinced on enough of the mid-price options to take that structure.

Probably plenty of changes yet to be made though, particularly as the cash cow situation becomes clearer. But I'm getting more and more comfortable with the starting keepers.

Just as a reminder, the ground rules for RMT are as follows:

1. In order to get feedback on your own team, you must first provide feedback on the teams that have been recently posted. This is the golden rule and is what makes this whole thing work. :)

2. If you just post your team without giving any feedback, your post will be deleted.:mad:

3. Please refrain from commenting on teams that have been posted by others that have not followed the golden rule.:cool:

4. Keep it civil. Constructive criticism is fine. But there is a line and please don't cross it. :eek:

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Feb 27, 2016.

1. bunza52
      bunza52
      I like your set up and reasoning with your selections. You have a number of PODs, so to me you team has got risk and reward written all over it, which I like! Not a big fan of Simmo, I think his best is behind him. Midfield has the potential go large from week 1, which will put you right up there!
      • Like Like x 1
    2. bunza52
      bunza52
      Here is my team. Got 91,600 in the bank.
      upload_2016-3-3_22-58-7.png
    3. walesy
      walesy
      Good number of Pods in there! Would love to hear your thoughts on a couple of them.

Houli is super consistant, so should be solid in the backline so long as he plays 22 games.

Gaff, I love as a pick- reckon he's one of the few 500k mids that has the potential to step up to premium this year.

Tell me your thoughts on Macaffer over other rookies?

Sinclair has a fair amount of risk about him. Should get a good run at the Swans though and has shown that he can ton up when given a shot, so will be interesting. Not sure I have the stones though! :D

Zerrett. Want him to step up this year, but am has massive resevations about Essendon in general. Fear that 10 goal smashings each week will have a detrimental effect on his scoring. Perhaps he'll get more of it? Or perhaps there will just be less to go around.

Eddie Betts. :D He's great to watch, but does he have much growth in him? A Franklin, Christensen, Robinson or A. Hall might fill that price point better.

Oh, and Trent "The disappointment" McKenzie- reckon Jase can give you a good run down on him. :D Might involve swear words. :D
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Lion on the ground
      Lion on the ground
      Thanks bunza52, im of the same view, just not sure who to switch simmo to. Thinking of maybe birchall which will give me some cash back, maybe grundy up to naitanui as well. Looks like he might be on for a big one.
    5. Lion on the ground
      Lion on the ground
      Love it dude, only query i have is sinclair. Could go shaw down to simeone like birchall and sinclair up to grundy. Might average better in the aggregate and allows upgrade to shaw when he spuds up first few averages 90 and drops to sub 530k.

Walesy, Christensen had finger surgery and is likely out for a bit. Might be a wait and see. Betts down to stringer gets a bit of cash back and im big on stringer this year as a fwd POD.
    6. walesy
      walesy
      Look at that, had a cyst removed- cheers dude. Should make it back for Rd. 1 though.

Stringer- agree, great option!
    7. walesy
      walesy
      So, fine sirs. Can I get some thoughts on this effort?
    8. walesy
      walesy
      upload_2016-3-4_10-36-38.png

whoops, paste didn't paste.
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Jason
      Jason
      Now we're talking.

I'm going a bit cold on Yeo. Looked a bit lost in the midfield last night, against a bunch of no-name GC mids. Think he may just frustrate coaches who choose him this year, with the occasional high score but too many low ones also.

I'm only going to choose M.Brown (WC) if he is the last available cheap DEF option that is named for R1. That may of course eventuate, but let's hope we get some better options!

Like the Menadue pick, but it means that you have BenKen at 187k on your FWD bench, which I don't like. Think you should move one of your M/F cheapies into the MID line and open up the DPP link.

Hannebery should be a huge POD. I'm just not convinced about Sydney this year, he won't be in my team (although he was last year).
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Jason
      Jason
      Interesting squad. You have a number of unique selections that don't appear to be that popular, but that is what I like most about your team.

I'm not a fan of choosing both Sinclair and Tippett, because I don't expect that they can both improve on their SC scoring in the one position at the same club. I think Tippett will at least hold and hopefully improve his SC output but am not sold on Sinclair's chance to do likewise.

McKenzie looked great last night, back to his debut season form. I really hope he has got off the booze and sorted his shit out, because he should be so much more than his output over the last 1-2 years has shown. Huge risk though, too much of a risk for me to choose him in SC (although I do have him in one of my keeper leagues).

Echoing what walesy said about Betts, he might have peaked last year in terms of SC scoring and I just can't see how he presents any value for 2016. Would at best hold ground and is more likely to drop value than anything else.
      • Like Like x 1
    11. Lion on the ground
      Lion on the ground

Like it walesy. Only issues i would have is some rookies and elliot yeo. Looked completely lost last night and cant see him making that jump to a keeper. As a POD (his performances are taking from a likely pick to a POD in my opinion) i think there are better options out there.

Brown from WC is a no for me. Will be the same as Nathan Brown last year, id prefer to have a non playing player to loophole my def rookies than him. Macpherson from GC is a no for me as well, think there has to be better options, but the rookies are a wait and see anyway.

Could go Yeo down to Smith and Mills up to B Crouch depending on cash in the bank. Smith was sick last week but think he will be better option than Yeo.

Like the team though, could do good things.
    12. walesy
      walesy
      MB (WCE) is a symptom of just how bad those backline rookies look! :D Hibberd is the preferred choice, but he needs to get named, otherwise the JS of Brown probably sees him keeping the spot warm for me. :D

Macpherson has come a long way- there will probably be a better option, but at the moment, his price is right.: D

Yeo though, I think you're both right- certainly going cold on him, just need to find a replacement. - Kinda hate the Smith/JJ options thoguh. Might see if I can price in an upgrade somewhere.
    13. Jason
      Jason
      Yeo -> Sheridan is worth considering. Also frees up enough $$$ to mess around with rookies and not be stuck on 102k options.
    14. Lion on the ground
      Lion on the ground
      Im on the sheridan bandwagon as well Jason. Think him and johanissen are two to seriosuly consider this year.
    15. walesy
      walesy
      Sheridan is going to be the real deal, isn't he? If he lives up to the hype, you won't win without him.

I'll bring him in, which will leave 192k to play with DMac.
    16. Jason
      Jason
      With that much loose change you could certainly look at upgrading one of your cheap DEF players to Weitering
    17. walesy
      walesy
      Maybe- but I don't see Weitering as offering much more on the field that Brown/Hartley - nor do I see him bringing in as much cash as elsewhere.

I can also turn Parish into MCrouch. :D But that feels like madness. :D

Wonder if I can get Kennedy up into Stringer- might be worth a crack.
      • Like Like x 1
    18. walesy
      walesy
      Righteo, gunna leave this here- then not touch it til nearly lockout/rookies-named I reckon. Pretty happy with every name on this list.

upload_2016-3-4_14-0-59.png
    19. Jason
      Jason
      Getting better by the hour. :)

Still reckon you should find one more cheap FWD and put one of your F/M players into the MID line.

Didn't Menegola go down with an injury during the last NAB game?
    20. walesy
      walesy
      Yeah, probably need to to something about him and Petracca, but there's $600 in the kitty and I'll cross that bridge once all the ducks are lining up. :D

That said, if Menegola is named come round 1, he's a lock. :D