Rate My Team 2016: Post-NAB Edition

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Mar 14, 2016.

By Jason on Mar 14, 2016 at 4:02 PM
  1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Where did all the rookie-priced players go?

Petracca, Cuningham, Keays, Mathieson, Collins, Yarran and Brown (WC) were all looking like good things in February and now look highly unlikely to play R1. Looks like it is going to be really hard to find cheap rookies who look likely to play early games in 2016.

Hopefully when R1 teams start to drop, we will see some decent options at bargain-basement prices. If not, we may all need to restructure our teams to accomodate some more $200k+ options.

I've made lots of changes over the last round of NAB challenge matches. I'm not 100% sold on some of them, but this is where my team is currently at.

Libba has left the building. Hello Daniel Wells, welcome aboard. Petracca will hopefully become a different rookie, should one present themselves when R1 teams are named. Otherwise he's not the worst emergency loophole option to use with some of my higher-priced rookies.

Cox > Grimley based mainly on loophole potential. Grimley just doesn't look likely to provide any meaningful coverage. Neither does Cox, but if the Collingwood tall division cops an injury he doesn't look be too far down the pecking order. Not 100% convinced on my R3 though.

Hopefully each of McDonald-Tipungwuit, Davis and Ruggles get elevated prior to R1. Otherwise my structure is in some serious trouble and I'll have to downgrade elsewhere.

Capture.JPG

I've made lots of changes over the last round of NAB challenge matches. I'm not 100% sold on some of them, but this is where my team is currently at.

Libba has left the building. Hello Daniel Wells, welcome aboard.

Petracca will hopefully become a different rookie, should one present themselves when R1 teams are named. Otherwise he's not the worst emergency loophole option to use with some of my higher-priced rookies.

Cox > Grimley based mainly on loophole potential. Grimley just doesn't look likely to provide any meaningful coverage. Neither does Cox, but if the Collingwood tall division cops an injury he doesn't look be too far down the pecking order. Not 100% convinced on my R3 though.

Hopefully each of McDonald-Tipungwuit, Davis and Ruggles get elevated prior to R1. Otherwise my structure is in some serious trouble and I'll have to downgrade elsewhere.

Just as a reminder, the ground rules for RMT are as follows:

1. In order to get feedback on your own team, you must first provide feedback on the teams that have been recently posted. This is the golden rule and is what makes this whole thing work. :)
    2. If you just post your team without giving any feedback, your post will be deleted. :mad:
    3. Please refrain from commenting on teams that have been posted by others that have not followed the golden rule. :cool:
    4. Keep it civil. Constructive criticism is fine. But there is a line and please don't cross it. :eek:

• Like Like x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Mar 14, 2016.

• Tags:
    1. Grizzles
      Grizzles
      Libba has disappeared from my team now too. With the need for expensive rookies and his lack luster performance in nab 3 he seemed the obvious candidate to free up an extra 150k. Jason chopping him only validates my thought process.
    2. Boulderdash
      Boulderdash
      All the teams so far seem to have the R3 as a DPP FWD but no way of moving them.
      @ everybody - What plan do you have if a set & forget Ruck goes down for 1 or 2 weeks? Do you burn a trade?
      I think there is more risk there than downgrading a premium and having a playing Ruck/FWD as cover.
      The extra money can be spent upgrading a doubtful rookie into a more likely starter.
      Most teams seem to have at least 1 rookie that I think won't get a game until mid-season
      ie G.Hewett, M.Hartley. Padley, Keays, McPherson.
      I'm fairly new at this so I maybe missing the finer points
    3. Boulderdash
      Boulderdash
      Not having Goldy is probably hearsay, but I think with Limited rotations, the rucks will spend more time on the ground.
      McGovern will be a swing man and can potentially steal/save games.
      Is the weighting system of when & where goals & marks are taken still applicable?
      I did have LeCras but Billings came in after getting through the NAB ok.
      I think De Goey will step up after having the vest 5 times last year (4 green & 1 red).
      In the past I have burnt my trades too quickly - trying for more flexibility.
      And I do expect M.Cox to be picked in Round 1. R Davis I am not sure about.

upload_2016-3-15_21-26-30.png
    4. Grizzles
      Grizzles
      There is a lot of risk in this team but I get the idea behind it. The 2 that stand out for me like a sore thumb are Suckling and Rosa. New clubs and more opportunity still doesn't equate to the points (and extra cash from a maturing rookie) that u would get from downing Suckling to B. Kennedy and using the cash to up Rosa to a Laird or even Shaw!

As the old saying goes it's very hard to ping the exact 4 or 5 mid pricers that actually improve their average significantly. If they all come off you are a genius.
    5. Boulderdash
      Boulderdash
      Thanks for the reply Grizzles. I don't think I'll be a genius - just damn lucky.
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Jason
      Jason
      Care needs to be taken selecting both Keough and Davis because both are rookie listed and GC only has one upgrade available (they already upgraded Danny Stanley). They could get another upgrade if an LTI is announced though, but have not yet done so.

Your team definitely fits the definition of mid-priced madness. If you are as damn lucky as you hope to be, it will be fun to follow your teams rise to the top, hopefully right here on TS! I think you've bitten off too many mid-pricers though, I count 9 in your team or even 10 if Wells is included.

I'm concerned for your mid-priced structure that you'll run out of trades and won't be able to upgrade all of your lines.
    7. Nick
      Nick
      All your picks are clearly well thought out, however all carry lots of risk v.s. reward. However I am not convinced at all with Sinclair or Suckling.
      De Goey is in and out of my team a lot, hate seeing too many $300k to $400k players in my squad, but geez they are tempting.
      Grimley will play more than Cox at R3, consider swapping them.
      NicNat a bit PODish with everyone going Goldy, Gawn and Martin.
    8. Nick
      Nick
      Solid team. Sidey a huge POD and I haven't seen Birchall in many teams. Time will tell over him v.s. Gibbo however I'm with Gibbo for now, he can be inconsistent but when we goes massive it can be 130+.
      Don't like the Sinclair pick, would rather set and forget in Martin, Jacobs or Gawn to pair with Goldy.
      Solid rookie selections for what we know right now.
    9. Nick
      Nick
      My latest iteration.
      Lack of possessions for Libba and him relying on tackles worries me, can't ignore MCrouch's form at the same price.
      I feel like I am one premium short in the forward line, however this has let me get Shaw back in, and bring in more expensive rookies of Oliver and BenKen.
      Have managed to squeeze Priddis in for Rocky but with only $7.5k left this may be an issue come rookie selection time, and I'd rather have Grimley at R3 than Chol.
      Prob have to change Mathieson/MacPherson also, not sure who to yet.

teammar16best.jpg
    10. JPK
      JPK
      Wow, this year is going to be difficult. To go a pure GnR team, you'll probably only have 18 players come R1...

I'm not fully sold on Shaw, Houli, or Laird down back this year - I'm grappling with having them in my team or dropping them... all three! There are a fair few $450k backs this year that are worth a look, in my opinion, and saving $100k a pop makes covering for no $150k players a little easier!

Mid rookies are my concern. I've had a look through everyone's teams, and can't really fault most of the rookie mid selections, but I also don't feel convinced enough to select them myself!

In the rucks I'm staying away from Goldy, I just see that as too much cash for a bloke that I'm not convinced will keep scoring at the same rate. No sub and fewer rotations means he'll be on the park for longer, but will that tire him out, and mean that he becomes less effective aroudn the ground where a pinch-hitter ruck might actually get a better look-in against him? I'm just not sure.

Picking Dustbin up forward seems to be the safe option, mainly because everyone else is doing it. Ditto for Hall and Wells.

Wow, this year really is tough. Ahhhh Excel, my friend, how I hate thee.
    11. walesy
      walesy
      Rookie mids are brutal this year. Almost getting to the point where you flip an F/M there, just cause there's no-one else you would rather!
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Jason
      Jason
      You have similar team to mine in many positions. No obvious issues with most of your high-end selections. Your mid-rookies, as you say, will need more work however.

What is your current "plan b" if none of Keays, Mathieson or MacPherson are named for R1?

Mathieson is out for 4-6 weeks with a fractured cheekbone. Keays apparently copped an injury in the NEAFL last weekend and MacPherson appears to be coming from behind both Davis and Keough for a potential upgrade at the Suns.
    13. walesy
      walesy
      [​IMG]
      • Like Like x 6
    14. Nick
      Nick
      Haha I would love one of those.

Plan in my back pocket with them not being named (which seems likely) is to bring Shaw down to Rance, or Prddis down to Rocky (or both) to free up cash for more expensive playing rookies.

Maybe BenKen into the mids and Lincoln McCarthy into the forward line. Hate playing DPP rookies in the midfield line early days but this year demands it. That only solves one spot though. Don't want to jeopardize structure and premiums just yet until they firm some more.

Seems as though everyone is going to have the same rookies this year, such is the dearth of them in the mid line.
      • Like Like x 1
    15. GaryReal
      GaryReal
      that's a pretty loco team i reckon - but good luck with it. i hope you stick to yr guns. mind you, i think rosa is a hopeful choice - he's old, and billings wrong, seeing as he is a low possession getter. he's slow, in an average team. he'll win 2 games this yr, but will score 70 often methinks
      Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    16. GaryReal
      GaryReal
      careful. im a carlton supporter - Byrne didnt play nab3, despite being ready. he got 43 nab 2. he'll get 10 possessions a game at best. he just disappears. no game sense yet. Broad im unsure tho bc i think Chaplin missed Nab3.
    17. GaryReal
      GaryReal
      why is there no love for leuey?
      he's my forward swing - way better value than other F/Rs. only doubt for me is his fitness, which last week was solved. im sure he'll play round 1. Ess NEED him FGSake! anyone?
      • Like Like x 2
    18. Jason
      Jason
      • Like Like x 1
    19. walesy
      walesy
      I don't trust him to string more than 5 games together!!!

If you could guarantee me 20 games, I'd lock him in in an instant! :D
      • Like Like x 5
    20. walesy
      walesy
      Agree with this- feels like a bit of a NAB special. That said- if the players work (and individually, each one has the chance to) then it'll be a superb thrust to the top - reinvigorating the mid-price madness movement as you go! :D

Balls of steel required though. Balls of steel.