Rate My Team 2016: Post-NAB Edition

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Mar 14, 2016.

By Jason on Mar 14, 2016 at 4:02 PM
  1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Where did all the rookie-priced players go?

Petracca, Cuningham, Keays, Mathieson, Collins, Yarran and Brown (WC) were all looking like good things in February and now look highly unlikely to play R1. Looks like it is going to be really hard to find cheap rookies who look likely to play early games in 2016.

Hopefully when R1 teams start to drop, we will see some decent options at bargain-basement prices. If not, we may all need to restructure our teams to accomodate some more $200k+ options.

I've made lots of changes over the last round of NAB challenge matches. I'm not 100% sold on some of them, but this is where my team is currently at.

Libba has left the building. Hello Daniel Wells, welcome aboard. Petracca will hopefully become a different rookie, should one present themselves when R1 teams are named. Otherwise he's not the worst emergency loophole option to use with some of my higher-priced rookies.

Cox > Grimley based mainly on loophole potential. Grimley just doesn't look likely to provide any meaningful coverage. Neither does Cox, but if the Collingwood tall division cops an injury he doesn't look be too far down the pecking order. Not 100% convinced on my R3 though.

Hopefully each of McDonald-Tipungwuit, Davis and Ruggles get elevated prior to R1. Otherwise my structure is in some serious trouble and I'll have to downgrade elsewhere.

Capture.JPG

I've made lots of changes over the last round of NAB challenge matches. I'm not 100% sold on some of them, but this is where my team is currently at.

Libba has left the building. Hello Daniel Wells, welcome aboard.

Petracca will hopefully become a different rookie, should one present themselves when R1 teams are named. Otherwise he's not the worst emergency loophole option to use with some of my higher-priced rookies.

Cox > Grimley based mainly on loophole potential. Grimley just doesn't look likely to provide any meaningful coverage. Neither does Cox, but if the Collingwood tall division cops an injury he doesn't look be too far down the pecking order. Not 100% convinced on my R3 though.

Hopefully each of McDonald-Tipungwuit, Davis and Ruggles get elevated prior to R1. Otherwise my structure is in some serious trouble and I'll have to downgrade elsewhere.

Just as a reminder, the ground rules for RMT are as follows:

1. In order to get feedback on your own team, you must first provide feedback on the teams that have been recently posted. This is the golden rule and is what makes this whole thing work. :)
    2. If you just post your team without giving any feedback, your post will be deleted. :mad:
    3. Please refrain from commenting on teams that have been posted by others that have not followed the golden rule. :cool:
    4. Keep it civil. Constructive criticism is fine. But there is a line and please don't cross it. :eek:

• Like Like x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Mar 14, 2016.

• Tags:
    1. Nick
      Nick
      Great team, much the same structure as my own. Huge mids but backline may give you some headaches. Pendles almost a POD this year which is unheard of! Seems like the robust pies midfield is scaring off a few. No Fyfe a risk maybe?
      At least we will all be in the same boat if some of these rookies don't get named...
    2. Nick
      Nick
      This one would've been good for the thumbs....

Rance + Priddis

Or

Shaw + Rockliff
    3. walesy
      walesy
      That's a good looking Morgan, solid premo's across the board, can't fault any of the mid-pricers and the rookies are all as good as can be expected. (Bloody mid rookies hey! :D)

Love the Shiel pick. If I could be guaranteed 20 games from him, I'd be all over it! Should be a ripper!

Welcome to the site mate- hope you enjoy the place!
      • Like Like x 2
    4. walesy
      walesy
      Thumbs down. (aka, Rocky)

Also- it's a little late, but I've a good feeling that we'll have thumbs shortly... :D Just waiting on an email.
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Owen
      Owen
      Thumbs up!
    6. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      @jamieh
      This is a solid effort, as with others I have some reservations with Sheridan and to a lesser extent Hall but if you are comfortable with the logic behind these picks back yourself in. McCarthy is a slight POD pick (not sure of his overall % ownership) as a rookie but could do well and might become popular if he is selected and other rookies are not. Personally I am not sold on Kommer given I have read his role will be as a forward pocket and his team is expected to get belted.
    7. Iain
      Iain
      Looks like a strong side to me mate, I notice you're a bit light on in the forward line to accommodate the extra mid. Not sold on De Goey myself but he should at least make you some money, and I didn't notice Polkinghorne getting a game during the NAB which could be a worry.
    8. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      @Morgan2102

this is a handy effort mate

I would consider a few alternatives for Bartel as there have been rumours he may get rested through the season and note that Polkinghorne has I think been injured pre-season and missed the NAB challenge. Long would seem a decent pick based on his NAB numbers but be aware he missed the final NAB match and that his numbers were inflated by the win over the Blues which won't be representative of the Bombers season.

I am intrigued a bit by the De Goey pick, do you see him getting a good run in the Pies mids and if so what season average are you expecting him to achieve? Is there a reason you are leaving out Daniel Wells - as I can only assume you are worried by his injury risk??
    9. Iain
      Iain
      As others have said Sheridan is a bit of an unknown, and didn't Keays only get a guernsey in NAB1? I'm also unsure on McCarthy's prospects come team announcements, but I assume that your rookies will probably change then like most others'. Midfield looks solid, and my team is pretty similar to yours overall.
    10. Iain
      Iain
      You've gone for some big POD's there mate, with Parker, Suckling, Blicavs, Jacobs and especially Cripps. Hopefully they come off for you but a bit too risky for my taste, Cripps should be a gun but I can't see him improving drastically from last year. I haven't been paying too close attention this year so I'm not too sure about your rookies but Howe, Dunkley and Yarran concern me a bit.
    11. Iain
      Iain
      Alright lads here's my team currently. Have paid very little attention this off-season so going in to this year fairly blind. Main thing troubling me is how mid-priced it is with Libba and Crouch, but not sure what to do and pretty happy with my rookies except for in defense.

Shaw, McDonald, Laird, Dea, Hartley, Broad (Brown, Ruggles)
      Fyfe, Danger, Pendles, Rocky, Libba, Crouch, Mills, Oliver (Gresham, Petracca, Long)
      Goldy, Gawn (Chol)
      Martin, Barlow, Hall, Wells, B Kennedy, Kerridge (Milera, McDonald-Tipungwuti)
      • Like Like x 2
    12. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      I hadn't updated my team since around NAB 1 and have pretty much just selected a cookie cutter side to see where my cash and structure has ended up
      RMT.png

Rookies - I think Petracca is a downgrade option (for now), I have given Kommer a miss due to having 5 bombers without him and I have avoided Weitering due to the number of cheaper Defender options. Ruggles, Gore and Currie will be strongly considered if picked. Preferably I would boot one of Milera, Dea, Kennedy and Oliver to free up $$$$ as I want to upgrade to an extra FWD or MID premium.

Premiums and Midpricers - H Shaw avoided due to price, as I have mostly top priced premiums I may need to juggle these around and bring in 1-2 some "value premiums". B/M Crouch to be considered and perhaps may take Libba's spot. As above an extra FWD or MID premium would be ideal.

As far as Thursday nights game goes I am locked on Dusty, Menadue and Kerridge, but less so on Simpson and Rance and I will most likely drop one of them before the Thursday night match so I can tinker more easily on Friday night after Sunday teams are finalised.

Cheers in advance for any feedback !!
    13. Jason
      Jason
      Similar structure to mine, although your selection of two MID mid-pricers means that you are a bit light on for DEF keepers.

I'm not convinced McDonald is a good selection. The difference between his best and worst can be significant and I would expect those that don't start him should be able to pick him up as an upgrade for a lot less than you'll pay upfront. If Salem stays fit across 2016, I would expect McDonald's SC scoring to drop a bit, because Salem is a MUCH better kick of the footy as preferred distributor from the back half.

Think you should check out McCarthy's prospects, I think he provides similar value and JS to Milera but at a lower price.

Did you see my article about R3 loophole potential? Chol is about the worst choice you could make in this slot, unless you see him as a cash cow because he's going to get games? Hampson will play R1, but I do not expect Chol to get a call up unless both Maric and Hampson are injured at the same time. Even then, they might play Griffiths in the ruck before Chol.
      • Like Like x 1
    14. Jason
      Jason
      I agree with your own sentiments that you need another FWD premium starter.

I'd reconsider Simpson, his best output is probably behind him and he will cop maximum attention from forward taggers now that Yarran has left the building.

We all have to wait until teams drop on Thursday to an extent, but Keays is not a name that I expect to see listed for R1. Leppa announced today that Schache would debut but didn't mention anyone else, which I take as a bad sign for Keays's chances of early action.

Not sure about selecting all four of Dea/Hartley/Brown/M-Tipungwuti. I have 3 of these 4 and am not overly happy about it. Hopefully either Ruggles or perhaps Byrne are alternate options.
      • Like Like x 1
    15. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      As with most years, I get less confident on structure and selection as lock out closes in.
      This mid-price whack-a-mole sideshow has got me again.

D: Houli, Bartel, Sheridan, Lonergan, Weits, Hartley (Adams, Ruggles)

M: Danger, Fyfe, Priddis, Shiel, Rocky, Wines, Mills, Kerridge (Davis, Keays, Hewitt)

R: Nic Nat, Gawn (Wyatt)

F: Barlow, Robbo, Hall, Wells, Kennedy, McCarthy (Tippa, Grimley)

$63K in bank.
      • Like Like x 1
    16. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      With all that cash and a big rookie spend I think you have to flexibility to upgrade an extra fwd and mid.
      No love for Hall?
    17. Jason
      Jason
      I like this team. I would prefer one less MID premium and one more DEF premium, but we have a lack of cheap MID options so you may be onto the structure that is best suited to the available value this year.

I'm not sufficiently convinced on either Sheridan and Lonergan to start them, but all power to you if they hit their straps. You'll be hard to beat this year if that occurs.
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Iain
      Iain
      The thing is I really don't rate many of the defenders much. I had Yeo in before but his NAB form wasn't amazing so I ended up dropping him. McDonald I see being up and down but hopefully averaging enough for around a D5, but still open to suggestions.
      No I haven't looked at any non-ORFFL articles until today but I'll check it out, thanks. Chol just a placekeeper.
      Will McCarthy get games? Like I said I haven't been paying attention much but would have thought Geelong would be a hard team to break into with Smith coming in also.
      Thanks for the feedbck mate.
    19. IPOD
      IPOD
      image.png image.png Here is what I have come up with after some tinkering
    20. Len
      Len
      Only real issue for me is Jimmy, I prefer Laird by a mile as a keeper
      Can't buy the NicNat hype, been going for a few year now and yet to grasp SC excellence.
      • Like Like x 1