Best Buys Round 14 - bye-bye round

Discussion in 'Blog' started by tipbetpro, Jun 22, 2016.

By tipbetpro on Jun 22, 2016 at 10:59 AM
  1. tipbetpro

tipbetpro Active Member

By the time you read this, the NRL tips will be out (http://www.tipbetpro.com/#!current-round/kzu9o) – and then of course there is the State of Origin on tonight (http://www.tipbetpro.com/#!Special-State-of-Origin-2/xtmz9/5767fbe60cf202b677de7fbb) – I mentioned it last time and I’ll say it again, I wish we had this in the AFL still.

So being the second week of the bye-rounds, I’ve again excluded players who have a bye this week from the main list, but included them in the “wait a week” list – made sense to me. I’ve also “italicised” the players who had a bye last week as I personally think these are the players you should bring in if you can (you effectively get an extra round out of them).

I did consider only naming players who had the bye last week – but that is really up to your own personal situation and strategy.

So what are we doing this week for Buy of the week?

Well as I said – no it’s not Jack Steven, at almost $600k he is just a bit too pricey for his average and record. However, we are again doing something completely different… I’m naming 2 BoTWs!

Yes that’s right, I’m giving you two pieces of gold for the price of one – one forward and one midfielder, and both are unlikely to be popular.

Firstly I want to make one thing clear – I am not a Tigers fan. Yes I like their song (best song in the comp – that is not up for discussion), but I also like watching them either just miss the finals or get booted out quickly… It amuses me. However the Tigers had a bye last week which makes their players attractive this week. The Tigers also play Brisbane this week, which makes them even more attractive, and then Essendon in a few rounds to top things off.

There are actually 3 Tiger players who could have made the cut – Cotchin, Martin and Deledio.

Cotchin is our mid – A solid average, a very good last 3 games (average of 117) and $20k change from $600k. He has only had two bad games – the first game of the year, and the game he got injured – exclude those and his average would be 119. Now I can already hear the screams of “what about Ablett?”. Firstly, I’ve already named him BoTW once, and it would be odd to name him again. Secondly, he had 3 very good games after coming back from injury, but 5 average games before that – he makes the list, but hard to recommend as BoTW.

As for our fellow yellow and black man up forward, we are recommending Deledio – but only due to price. Lids is $40k+ cheaper than Dusty, and after his first 2 games back this season, hasn’t scored less than 90 in the next 5 (an average of 105). Make no mistake, Martin is also a good pick – after a slow start (i.e. his first 5 games) he has average just over 120 from the next 7 including a big 167 before last week’s bye. Nevertheless, rightly or wrongly, we are going with Lids – if for no other reason than Martin is already in 44% of SC teams so it seems rather pointless to tell you to pick him up when the chances are you already have him, Deledio on the other hand is only in 4% of SC teams (Cotchin is in just over 2% of teams).

So get Cotchin, get Deledio but hey if you don’t have him maybe get Dusty instead… Oh and Rance is well priced too if you need a defender - Oh we're from Tigerland…

Again, the format below is:
    POSITION Name (CLUB) – current price (expected increase) – AVERAGE

DEFENDERS
    Rookies:

M/D Jesse Joyce (GCS) - 102k (+7k) - AVG=27(Not much in the way of rookies this week)
    DEF Jason Castagna (RIC) - 117k (+13k) - AVG=37

Keepers:
    DEF Rory Laird (ADE) - 472k (0k) - AVG=96 (Has had his bye, and is well priced)
    DEF Alex Rance (RIC) - 478k (+5k) - AVG=98 (I wasn’t joking, Rance is another Tiger who is well priced)

M/D Jimmy Bartel (GEE) - 528k (+4k) - AVG=99 (Another option, but I’d probably go with one of the players who have had their bye)
    DEF Kade Simpson (CAR) - 529k (+3k) - AVG=105 (Not as cheap as Laird or Rance and not as good as Docherty or Shaw at the moment, so hard to recommend unless you have the rest or don’t like them)
    DEF Sam Docherty (CAR) - 576k (-5k) - AVG=110 (I believe we recommended Docherty when we was worth something in the low 400’s – so not everything I say is crap)

DEF Heath Shaw (GWS) - 619k (-5k) - AVG=117 (Why do you not have Shaw already? We told you to get him)

Midfielders
    Rookies:

MID Matthew Goodyear (COL) - 124k (+1k) - AVG=26= (That’s not a great average is it…)
    MID Darcy MacPherson (GCS) - 155k (+23k) - AVG=60 (Still a good price and a good average - EDIT - BUT APPARENTLY INJURED, so not a good choice)

MID Kade Stewart (HAW) - 169k (+32k) - AVG=72 (Always worry about Hawthorn rookies keeping their spots)
    MID Brent Macaffer (COL) - 174k (+3k) - AVG=38

Keepers: (There are lots of good mids – this list is not exhaustive)
    MID Trent Cotchin (RIC) - 579k (-3k) - AVG=111 (Shares the BoTW honours this week)
    MID Joel Selwood (GEE) - 581k (+12k) - AVG=113 (A better buy last week or the week before, has been known to have his ups and downs so may become good value again)
    MID Lachie Neale (FRE) - 582k (-12k) - AVG=114 (likely to come down in value, so may be a good value after the bye rounds)
    MID Gary Ablett (GCS) - 583k (+5k) - AVG=116 (Could he be regaining his form of the gold ol’ days? Maybe…)
    MID Jack Steven (STK) - 595k (+5k) - AVG=110 (May not be the best buy now, but would have been 5 weeks ago!)
    MID Scott Pendlebury (COL) - 641k (-6k) - AVG=120 (A gun, but a little bit pricey at the moment)

MID Patrick Dangerfield (GEE) - 709k (+38k) - AVG=136 (probably not the best time to buy him)

Rucks
    Rookies:

None this week

Keepers:
    RUC Todd Goldstein (NTH) - 567k (-14k) - AVG=114 (Will likely go down in price once more and has a bye next week – maybe look elsewhere)

Forwards
    Rookies:

M/F Sam J. Reid (GWS) - 119k (+28k) - AVG=52
    FWD Eli Templeton (STK) - 196k (+1k) - AVG=40
    Keepers:
    M/F Leigh Montagna (STK) - 480k (-7k) - AVG=100 (I’ve kind of named him once as BoTW, but again he looks good value)
    FWD Josh JENKINS (ADE) - 507k (+21k) - AVG=95 (Much like Josh Kennedy a few weeks ago, or Waite earlier in the season, I don’t like recommending forwards which get a lot of their score through goals)

M/F Michael BARLOW (FRE) - 519k (+20k) - AVG=99 (He is to your forward line what Rockliff is to your midfield – you’ve had him, you’ve dropped him, and now you are considering him again…)
    FWD Brett Deledio (RIC) - 525k (-7k) - AVG=97 (BoTW number 2!)
    M/F Dayne Zorko (BRL) - 532k (-4k) - AVG=113 (Has come down in price since his BoTW status, but has still scored well)
    M/F Daniel Wells (NTH) - 536k (+11k) - AVG=106 (Is he an injury concern still? Either way, maybe wait until after their bye next week)

M/F Dustin MARTIN (RIC) - 567k (+3k) - AVG=109 (Is in 44% of SC teams – but if he wasn’t then he may have been a BoTW)

Still a week away – either due to a bye, or only having played one game:
    M/D Thomas Cole (WCE) - 117k - AVG=45
    DEF Aliir Aliir (SYD) - 124k - AVG=46
    F/D Eric Hipwood (BRL) - 162k - AVG=54
    DEF Jason Ashby (ESS) - 165k - AVG=53
    DEF Jasper Pittard (PTA) - 475k - AVG=95
    DEF Matthew Boyd (WBD) - 526k - AVG=101
    MID Corey Wagner (NTH) - 117k - AVG=34
    MID Matthew Kennedy (GWS) - 167k - AVG=67
    MID Daniel Hannebery (SYD) - 562k - AVG=115
    RUC Sam GRIMLEY (ESS) - 124k - AVG=38
    RUC Max GAWN (MEL) - 581k - AVG=117
    M/F Tom Phillips (COL) - 117k - AVG=64
    FWD Nicholas Kommer (ESS) - 124k - AVG=35
    M/F Zac Merrett (ESS) - 516k - AVG=104

So that’s Best Buys for this week.

Good luck to all with your trades and hopefully some wins on the weekend. For all your trade discussion feel free to join us in the comments section below.

Cheers

http://www.tipbetpro.com/ - your statistically tested guide to tipping and betting on AFL, NRL and Cricket

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 3

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by tipbetpro, Jun 22, 2016.

1. gavnal
      gavnal
      Thanks TBP. As usual, much good food for thought.
      Firstly, am pretty sure that MID Darcy MacPherson (GCS) is still 6 weeks away with a knee.

Secondly, with the ruck stocks fairly bare, any thoughts on Stefan Martin? Granted still has his bye to come, but has been a proven performer in recent years and has stunk it up since he got KO'd in Rnd 4.
      A 142 at the weekend may be evidence that he is returning to his best. Or is this score inflated against a NicNat-less Weagles?
      Current price is $370,200.
      • Like Like x 1
    2. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      I am guessing Phillips will be a popular downgrade pick if named due to the potential for games this week and next, as well his F/M eligibility to keep a link happening either now or in a few weeks time

If coaches are likely to have 19 or 20 players next week then trading in a Rd15 rookie could make a fair bit of sense in my book as there are more of them and some would have better medium term JS.

I am tossing up between Montagna and Deledio if I decide to upgrae this week. It's up in the air because if I keep chasing overall by burning 5 or 6 upgrade/downgrade trades in Rounds 14 and 15 (I have 13 left currently) I probably won't have the 4 trades in hand I would want to have for league finals.
      • Like Like x 1
    3. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Clearly he benefited from no West and no Nic Nat or Lycett, I don't know what type of scoring you want from here but 100 is possible if he is sole ruck and without looking at his draw provided he is near his best physically

Who are you trading out and who have you already got, I have seen some trade-happy coaches talking about trading Goldy to Martin to "unlock" $200k which I think is a risky idea unless you believe they will score at the same rate from here.
      • Like Like x 1
    4. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      Cheers on the MacPherson info - obviously missed that one when I scanned the list.
      Saw Mohr was injured but still miss some injuries from time to time.
      Will update the article.

As for the Martin query, I think his scores depend on whether or not Trent West plays.
      West got dropped last week and he scored well again, but in the weeks when West played he did poor.
      I have no idea what the Lions will do with regards to West, so I can't really give much advice on that one.
    5. warsaken
      warsaken
      Agree with Cotch BotW.
      Looking to do a double upgrade this week with Sloane. Seems good value and already had his bye.
      upload_2016-6-22_13-21-32.png
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Autofills
      Autofills
      What do people think of Toby Nankervis JS till the end of the SC season (or most of it)? I don't know much about the Swan's depth/alternatives, is he a straight swap for Tippet who'll be out for 6 - 8. A cheap R/F to use as a DPP link/ruck cover for those with the Grimley's of the world at R3? Has a bye this week but interested in the community's thoughts.

PS Thanks for the write-up TBP
    7. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      Sloane is not bad value, but his average was just below the cut-off to make the list (and a few other stats didn't quite have him making the list either).
      Also, the fact he has already had his bye helps out. All depends on you cash levels though, if you have an extra $30k Ablett could also be worth a look, but Sloane may be a good POD.
    8. brownje
      brownje
      Thanks TBP for the write up. I am so frustrated as I have a war chest ready to do 3 upgrades which is exciting but the options in the midfield from bye teams last week that I don't already have is crap. I don't quite trust Cotchin Sidebottom or Gibbs and Steven is expensive so I am leaning towards Sloane as he has done it before and his average is good. But who else?
    9. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      Ablett?
    10. IPOD
      IPOD
      Was looking at maybe 3 trades this week which will allow me to field 19-20 this week and 17-18 the week after. have 14 trades and 176k.

Looking at outing Hall who is about to leak some serious money for Phillips (will become pure bench cover when byes are over). Leaves 490k move DBJ on to Laird or Rance (only 6 k difference) leaving 340-345k to then move Keays - Dusty (opens up dpp link with my dpp fwds) leaving 11 trades 9- 14k.

TU - good decision go for it
      TD - hold off trades are precious
      • Like Like x 3
    11. griff
      griff
      Thoughts on Treloar? 30k cheaper than Cotchin but only averaging 2 points less. Started the year with 9/10 100's then two slightly down weeks to bring his price down. Averaged more than Cotchin in 2014 & 2015
      • Like Like x 1
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    12. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      Treloar has a good average and is well priced, but has a B/E of 167 and could drop by more than $20k this week (and depending on how he goes this week, a bit more the following) - hence he doesn't make the "best buy" list.
      His last two games have been poor, so the question is why? Change of role, carrying an injury (which he might have gotten over during the bye) or just a drop in form which could change this week? (I have no idea - any Collingwood fans with some insight?)
      His last 5 scores have gone 169, 115, 103, 89, and 73 - that could be a worrying trend and its hard to recommend picking him up.

Whilst he isn't on there officially (already a few this week with the bye), Treloar is a wait a week (or 2) player at the moment - but equally its each to their own with mids, there are just so many potential keeper mids it really is a matter of personal preference sometimes once you get past the Dangers and Pendles (who I can't believe is in less than 30% of teams...)
    13. Len
      Len
      Not sure if it's relevant to his last few games, but at the giants he was unable to shake a tag
    14. griff
      griff
      Collingwood lost them by a total of 113 points, and Treloar still got 59 touches. Poor DT/SC ratio both games

He's one of the few mids around that 110 average that had a R13 bye. He's playing Freo this week at home which could be a nice 120 on the scoreboard and a price drop of only $15k
    15. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      Well you sound convinced, so I'm not going to talk you out of it like I did that time with Jack Steven!
      Good luck and I hope he does well - If for no other reason, I've got money on Collingwood and I wouldn't mind him and the rest of the Pies having a good game:D
    16. griff
      griff
      Just thrashing it out mate. I don't have the same faith in Cotchin that you do, he only averaged 99 last year & 101 the year before
    17. stripey
      stripey
      Gutted I forgot to do any trades... Phillips got 91? And was going to be the downgrade target...
    18. griff
      griff
      They had a very good game

Good start for my Treloar pick too. Collingwood win by 48, Treloar 119. Richmond win by 42, Cotchin 99