AFL Evolution League (AFLEL)

Discussion in 'Leagues' started by Jack Richards, Jan 25, 2017.

By Jack Richards on Jan 25, 2017 at 3:11 PM
  1. Jack Richards

Jack Richards New Member

Format: Supercoach Keeper League with a salary cap
    How many teams and players: 16 teams of 44 players (4 rookies and a veteran allowance for over 28 and completed 5 years at your club)
    Where it could be ran from: Google Sheets and here ideally if I can get a section dedicated to the league, if not will use a form of free website.

Salary
    - Each club gets $11.5million to spend on their players which must be paid in full thousands of dollars and this increases based on the salary cap. This will increase each year in line with the AFL.

- All draftees are paid a set wage as per the AFL and based on where they are drafted and their contract is an initial 2 year contract. Rookie players taken in the AEL rookie draft will be on one year contracts.
    Rookie prices:
    Pick 1 to 10 - $200K
    Pick 11 - 32 - $150K
    Pick 33 + - $100K

Naming squads
    - During the season each club posts a squad of 22 players (best 18 on field, 4 on the bench and 4 emergencies in case of a late out).
    - These players need to reflect their real position (e.g true KPD need to be named in the correct spot).
    - Rucks can be play in FF/CHF role as a Key position player.
    - Mids can play in the Forward/Def flanks if they are named there. (Eg Callum Mills could play of the Half Back or named in the mids).
    - Swingman can play both Key Def and Key FWD role only
    - At the end of round, you need to add up your best 18 scores which gives you your final result for the round.

Injuries
    In the case of a Long term injury, you can promote a rookie for the minimum of 8 weeks or more until the injured player is back. This must be done with evidence to show they have been placed on the LTI or the injury will sideline the player for 8 weeks.

Offseason
    First year draftees can have their initial contract extended after the first year by the following percentages of their contract
    - 2 years, 50%
    - 3 years, 100%
    - 4 years, 150%
    - 4 years, 200%

For example, If I drafted Andrew McGrath at pick 1 in our draft (thus making him $200,000 for 2 years) and then wanted to extend his contract to 2019 with a 2 year deal (at 50%) his new contract would be $300,000.
    All other non rookie Player contracts can be extended in their final year. This must be greater than their current contract and as such increase by the following percentage based on their previous contract
    - 1 year - 12%
    - 2 years - 14%
    - 3 years - 16%
    - 4 years - 18%
    - 5 years - 20%

For example:
    Dyson Heppell was signed to a $350,000 contract previously. I want to sign him for 5 years at 20% his new wage would be $420,000 each year for 5 years.

In the case of a veteran, a Player who meets the requirement of being on a team list for 5 years and over the age of 28. Get paid a standard $190,000 contract on a yearly basis. No club can have more than 4 players on the veteran list at one time and these players cannot be traded.

If a coach wants to let go of a player that player is deemed a free agent/uncontracted player and his services can be bid on. Bidding on a player starts when a coach nominates a new contract price for that player.

Bidding Period
    Each coach get 3 bids on any other coaches uncontracted player. The previous coach can put a bid on their own player which is the initial asking price. This must be a realistic salary with a contract between 1-3 years. The bid last for 10 days unless time extension is requested. If no other counter bid is made, the coach keeps the player at the new price.

Once a counter bid is made, the original coach has to beat that price and match the years. The coach who originally owned that player can have as many bids on their own players as possible.

Trade Period
    All players and draft picks and extra salary can be traded regardless of their contract status and combined in any deals. This will occur in line with the bidding process.

Uncontracted players
    If a player is traded AND uncontracted, he must be paid the salary that matches the bidding price and the amount of years stipulated.

Contracted
    Contracted players can be traded at any time of the contract. In the case of negotiating how much of the contract is paid this needs to be agreed on between the two coaches. These needs to be stated in the confirmed trade and both coaches need to post that they agree to it. Not just the coach who is posting the trade.

Contracts can be extended up to 5 years on these players and needs to be greater than the contract they are on by using the percentages as mentioned above in regards to extending contracts of seasoned players.

Trading of salary and draft picks
    - Clubs can trade draft picks in trades or independently for Salary relief. If a coach trades out salary for another coaches draft picks this is deducted from their salary cap from the current season.
    For example, Coach a trades for a 2016 draft pick the salary is deducted from the season going into the draft.

Delisting Contracted players
    Contracted players may be delisted but:
    - Those who walk away from the game wont have their contracts paid out.
    - Those who are first year players and are delisted by their AFL club and not picked up in any AFL draft can be delisted with no further payment.
    - Those who retire due to injury must be paid half of their contract per year that they were contracted.
    - Those who are delisted by or pushed into retirement by their AFL clubs must be paid 75% of their contract each year.
    - Other players must be paid 100% of their contracted salary per year remaining on the contract.

These must be done and lodged before the delistment period. A coach may request a negotiation in payment if they feel they cannot meet these requirments and this must be adhered to.

Going over the Salary Cap
    Any coach who goes over the Salary cap, has to release players and go into the season with less players or try and trade with a coach to gain salary or shed players in a negotiated term.

Mini Trade week
    There is a mini trade week during byes. This is a straight player/s for player/s period. All contracted players will be paid by their previous club for the remainder of the year before the new coach pays their salary the following years remaining.

Draft
    - Draft is done via reverse ladder order. finish last gets pick 1.
    - Coaches get 24hours to make a pick. Miss one pick, the coach is skipped and can make their pick when they return.
    - Miss 2 picks and the coach gets an auto pick based on the best available based on their drafted position.
    - Rookie draft is done after this draft and in the same fashion.

- Each club must make 3 draft picks minimum.

If coaches are interested please place their name below and pm me their gmail address so I can invite them into the sheets . Need 16 coaches by Feb 26th 2017 however if coaches are willing to wait, we can use this year as a set up ready to go for next year.

As the season is not far away we will use the current teams and any teams that are not selected out of the 18, will be used as Free Agents.

I will check back regularly.

Interested Coaches and preferred initial set up:
    1) Jack Richards - Live bid
    2) DamoH - Live bid
    3) Liquid_Sixx - Live bid
    4) Martyg - Live Bid
    5) '51 Bewick
    6) Len - Live Bid
    7) RPritch - Live Bid
    8) bgt2110 - Live Bid
    9) ORRFWizard - Live Bid
    10) tyze1 - Live Bid
    11) Gunners - Live Bid
    12) Holky
    13) St
    14)
    15)
    16)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    • Option 1 Option 1 x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Leagues' started by Jack Richards, Jan 25, 2017.

1. walesy
      walesy
      I like the concept, it's ambitious. How would we work out the initial salaries of established players come year 1?
    2. Jack Richards
      Jack Richards
      This is something I was thinking and that could be done either by:
      A) using their initial supercoach price by taking that whole team and then trading to fit under the Salary cap if need be

Or

B) the long way by using this year as the initial club building of Silent bids for players on what they are prepared to pay. Each club can have a chance to make 1 bid on each player they want. Highest gets that player.

Or

C) Use a draft whereby we draft players using their SC salary.
    3. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      @Jack Richards - congrats for putting up your Keeper Format which has some great ideas

I'll send you a pm shortly with some queries and suggestions for clarifying the above which may help to attract some interest.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    4. LiQuiD_SiXx
      LiQuiD_SiXx
      An interesting an ambitious idea.

I'd suggest an auction for established players, where there is no limit to what a player can be bought for, but must still manage to fit their playing list under the salary cap

What would happen in the following scenario where I signed a player for 3 years, but then he gets delisted by his AFL team after 2 years, am I then required to carry the remaining cost and length of the contract?

Also, you may need to keep the salary cap proportionate to the % increase of player contracts each year as player contracts may grow too quickly for the salary cap to be sustained across the league
    5. Jack Richards
      Jack Richards
      Thanks for your input. I would be more than happy to do a live bidding. This would take most of this season to do to get clubs to draft a total of 704 players but I would be more than happy to facilitate if we have coaches keen.

As for the scenario. you would need to pay out 75% of his remaining contract which can be calculated using an online percentage calculator as I am assuming he would be fit and healthy. So I am assuming for example:
      Jackson Trengove was fit and healthy. Port decided to cut him as he wasn't performing. You had him at $350,000 a year for 3 years. He only had one year to go. You would need to pay only $263,000 (as we are rounding up to the nearest full thousand).

It might seem stiff, but I am trying to make this relate to as close to real AFL as possible. The salary cap will keep in line with the AFL. With the free agent bidding system it might make some good players be available to bidding, thus eventually becoming cheaper.
    6. martyg
      martyg
      count me in.
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Jack Richards
      Jack Richards
      Shoot me an email with your gmail and I'll add you into the sheet once we have 16 coaches. Invite mates if they are keen
    8. Jack Richards
      Jack Richards
      Great to see 4 coaches keen. Need another 12 to get this up and running
    9. chelsea01
      chelsea01
      I'll have a crack mate (Ian / '51 Bewick)
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Len
      Len
      Is this something the ts leagues format can support mate?
      I am interested if it is, not if it isn't.
    11. Jack Richards
      Jack Richards
      I would be keen to discuss this as I would like to run it with both alongside Google Sheets as a back up. Feel free to message me and maybe we can get it to work. I cant see why not if you had the TS Addicts convert across.
    12. walesy
      walesy
      The two biggest holes I can see in the current system are the salary stuff, and the additional positions.

Code-wise, the site is coded to handle different comps with different positional structures, so that shouldn't be too big a change (assuming that all works! :D)

Given that we have a good year before it gets underway properly, we should be able to get that happening in the current structure- but we will need to get someone in charge of dolling out those KP spots. (Would need to be transparent methodology, to ensure that nobody is getting messed up by the borderline cases)

We will need to work out the salary stuff- might need to keep that in the spreadsheets until we can figure out what we need to store ongoing, but even that, we can figure out as we go along.

Fair bit of work overall, but should be able to get it in I reckon.
      • Like Like x 2
    13. Jack Richards
      Jack Richards
      The main thing in this league concept is salary and flexibility to allow coaches to name the players within realistic positions. E.g Jake stringer can play key forward or forward pocket/flank
    14. Len
      Len
      Cheers mate, if you are up for the challenge I am.
    15. Len
      Len
      We use google sheets freely to support the league formats here, I use it to manage draft picks and other league data that doesn't require ts support so am on board with symbiosis.
      I have a lot of keeper stuff going on and ts is the home of that, if your concept can be kept here and on Google than I am onboard, to be frank the complexity of your proposal has not been properly explored, and it's good that we would have 12 months to flesh out the "rules".
    16. Jack Richards
      Jack Richards
      No worries. I would be keen to work with you guys to get it up and running as I think it would work. Most coaches are happy with the live bid on players. Still need 11 coaches if we count you in.

I would be happy for the meantime to run all the official trade, results, squad naming etc here and if we could calc results of each round, even better and have the sheets to keep records of player payments, lists and contract lengths.

Would mean honesty is needed between coaches but with mods/admin keeping track it could be done.
      Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    17. bgt2110
      bgt2110
      I like your initiative. Sounds good to me. Count me in.
      • Like Like x 1
    18. ORFFWizard
      ORFFWizard
      Happy to play a second keeper league game given it is another salary cap version of different model to mine.
      Next year would be ideal for me but if you get close to 16 coaches this year, happy to be involved a year earlier.

Will be fun just playing as coach after managing multiple draft games for a number of years.
      • Like Like x 1
    19. martyg
      martyg
      Maybe, just maybe, if we get all the required coaches we can run this year as a "trial" doesn't matter what week we start in, we can work out the finer details as the year progresses.
      • Like Like x 1