ORFFA round 4 review

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by anthak, Apr 20, 2017.

By anthak on Apr 20, 2017 at 11:51 PM
  1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Round 4 was International moment of laughter day round in the ORFFA. April 14 is Moment of Laughter Day around the world. Humorologist Izzy Gesell created Moment of Laughter Day to encourage people to laugh. I hope everyone had a good laugh during the round and are not expecting much humour in this review!

Charlies Opening Spelunkers 955 lost to Mount Beauty Uglies 1105
    Mount Beauty, one of the premiership favourites pre-season got the job done on the road against a rebuilding Charlies Opening down in the pit. Only one player - Matt Priddis - tonned up for the victors in a fairly even spread of average to mediocre scores. The Uglies will be looking for improvement out of players like K Kolo and Cyril if they want to seriously challenge for the flag.

Birdsville Battlers 983 lost to Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles 1315
    A big win for Waikikamoocow sees them move into the top 8 at this early stage of the season. Waikik have been impressive this season once again, always threatening to rebuild but consistently performing well. Birdsville have been in that boat too in recent seasons, but have dropped off this year with only 1 win so far and scoring only triple figures this week.

Larrikin Lagoon Lefties 729 lost to Cradle Mountain Devils 1269
    Cradle Mountain had the bye this week, but nevertheless are doing exceptionally well, sitting undefeated after 4 games. Cradle Mountain have been well led by unheralded players such as Shaun Grigg and their defence of Zak Jones, Hurley, Spurr and Lever, and coach DMA will be hoping they can keep up this good form. For Larrikin Lagoon, only time will tell, and a lot of it, whether the rebuild will pay off.

Venus Bay Vultures 1352 defeated Wagga Wagga Wombats 242
    Whats this, another bye!? Wagga Wagga's team bus broke down on the way down to Venus Bay and only a few players who travelled separately, made it to the game on time, trying their best but ultimately not being able to stop what was a huge percentage boost for the flag fave Venus Bay Vultures - thankfully % doesnt matter much. To make matters worse, 2 of the emergencies came on to replace BLANKS!! lol :) I thought it was meant to be set up that emergencies scores will not count if there is a blank space in their line? Back on the game, cant take anything away from Venus Bay as they sit atop the ladder with the most 'points for' by far! Interestingly, despite missing a weeks score, Wagga have still scored more total points than Larrikin Lagoon on the season ;)

Nunawading Nuffers 1061 lost to Gariwerd Cockatoos 1243
    Nunawading remain winless, going down to a Gariwerd team who's only wins this season have come against bottom teams and their loss against a currently undefeated team. Based on this early fixture, its difficult to take much from Gariwerd's win-loss record. In this game, Tex Walker was really the difference, whilst JPK tried hard for the home team.

Gundagai Grasshoppers 1468 defeated Marble Bar Misfits 1163

Wow, what a performance by Gundagai. Probably spurred on from being the laughing stock of the ORFFA over previous years including the last IMoLD round, Marble Bar were no match for them this week, as Gundagai scored the highest score in the league for the week. Marble Bar had some good points with Laird, Jake Lloyd and Marc Murphy all continuing their strong early season form, however Gundagai only had 2 players score less than 77, Cockatoo on 68 and Mills on 56.

Wineglass Bay Packers 1473 defeated Darraweit Guim Dirrigibles 1078
    Equally wow for Wineglass Bay. The packers were previously winless for the season, but this week they pumped out a huge score to knock off a struggling Darraweit Guim outfit by a large margin of almost 400 points. Sloane and Mundy scored 120s in the mids and Tom Lynch and Matera went gangbusters up forward, whilst a whole bunch of others scored 90+ (Including a sneaky good game from the promising ANB) to help them to the big win, whereas the Guim only had 1 player (Newnes) score more than 86.

Lovely Banks Lilacs 1035 lost to Iron Knob Codpieces 1286
    Iron Knob are bubbling along around mid table, waiting for the right moment to strike, whereas Lovely Banks only just managed to score quad figures after triples the previous two weeks. Lovely Banks only had 1 player over 86 too - there might be some soul searching going on in that household this week ;) and Iron Knob were far too good with a very even spread of points with 7 players scoring 99 or more.

Whitsunday Warriors 1251 lost to Foul Bay Chickens 1427
    The highest scoring loser this week is Terry in Bankok! With a great score of 1251 not getting the job done against the relentless Foul Bay. It was a good game, with top team performances from both teams. Whitsundays only had 2 players over 100 in their decent score, both up forward, whilst Foul Bay had 5 hundreds, with 3 of them up forward - there was not much defence played by either team in this high scoring affair.

THE LADDER:

Pos Club W L D F A % F PP
    1 VBV 4 0 0 5693 4219 134.9 WWWW 16
    2 CMD 4 0 0 5301 4442 119.3 WWWW 16
    3 FBC 3 1 0 5469 4392 124.5 WWLW 12
    4 GGH 3 1 0 5364 4785 112.1 WLWW 12
    5 GWC 3 1 0 5116 4362 117.3 LWWW 12
    6 MBU 3 1 0 5058 4613 109.6 WLWW 12
    7 WKI 3 1 0 4595 4555 100.9 LWWW 12
    8 WSW 2 2 0 5069 4957 102.3 LWWL 8
    9 MBM 2 2 0 4996 4852 103 WLWL 8
    10 IKC 2 2 0 4908 4688 104.7 LWLW 8
    11 LBL 2 2 0 4015 4311 93.1 WLWL 8
    12 WBP 1 3 0 4971 5086 97.7 LLLW 4
    13 COP 1 3 0 4503 4531 99.4 WLLL 4
    14 DGD 1 3 0 4399 5151 85.4 LWLL 4
    15 BIB 1 3 0 4315 4811 89.7 WLLL 4
    16 WWW 1 3 0 3508 4910 71.4 LWLL 4
    17 NWN 0 4 0 4291 4927 87.1 LLLL 0
    18 LLL 0 4 0 2868 4847 59.2 LLLL 0

This week's upcoming FIXture:

Round 5 (AFL 5) 21/4 - 25/4
    Fellowship Round

This has proven to be such a great experience, so once again, we would like to propose that at an agreed time when everyone can participate, that we all raise a glass (or a cuppa) to the other seventeen ORFFA coaches and acknowledge what a fantastic group of people have got together to have fun.

Charlies Opening Spelunkers v Cradle Mountain Devils
    Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles v Wagga Wagga Wombats
    Mount Beauty Uglies v Gariwerd Cockatoos
    Birdsville Battlers v Marble Bar Misfits
    Larrikin Lagoon Lefties v Darraweit Guim Dirrigibles
    Venus Bay Vultures v Iron Knob Codpieces
    Nunawading Nuffers v Foul Bay Chickens
    Gundagai Grasshoppers v Whitsunday Warriors
    Wineglass Bay Packers v Lovely Banks Lilacs

So, what day and time should we all have a toast this round?

• Like Like x 3

Comments

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by anthak, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Len
      Len
      Great stuff mate :)

Packers could be above the Misfits on the ladder after this weekend
      • Like Like x 2
    2. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      Nicely done Ant.
      Yes very telling that the Wombats are still outscoring us overall.
      Laughable.
      • Like Like x 3
    3. snoz
      snoz
      Nice work Anth - thanks pal !!

Anzac Day toast ?
      • Like Like x 3
    4. graeme
      graeme
      Nice work from the patron of the cocky ones. Half time in the Anzac Day game works for me. SnooZe will be watching, hopefully TiB might be able to tune in around that time?

"... always threatening to rebuild but consistently performing well." At last count we had six of the originally drafted team still on the books (McVeigh, Hibberd, T Mitchell, Hannebery, Robinson and Sam Jacobs). TMitch was our youngest player; now we have 14 guys younger than him (he is 23 years 10 months). Reckon that is a rebuild. As opposed to what jelly guy undertook which looks more like senselessness.*

* which is the answer to my all time favourite cryptic crossword clue: "e (13 letters)"
      • Like Like x 2
    5. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      I will be out of sync, raising a glass before the game as I can't beer to watch the coming slaughteration from the plague. It will be ugly.

Nice summation Ant. Actually, for the Warriors at least, there was a bit of defence played. After trading out the Tassie Birch, it is the one area we have been totally surprised this season. The 9 defenders on our list (all played - isn't that nice!) had scores of; 99, 83, 93, 69, 84, 90, 80, 74, 81. If they can keep this up, we will enjoy the selection headaches.

Well done to Wineglass Bay. Looks like being the bogie team for many of us this year. Can't wait for their clash with the Misfits.
      • Like Like x 3
    6. graeme
      graeme
      Pre-game works for me and sNoozE might just need a nerve settler (at approx 1am?).
      • Like Like x 2
    7. anthak
      anthak
      So let's Let snoz set the time for our fellowship toast.
      Sometime at or before 3pm Tuesday Melbourne time.

That would be at or before 1am Tuesday morning for snoz.

@snoz , what works for you?
      What is too late? Midnight, 1am, 11pm Mon night?
    8. snoz
      snoz
      1am Tuesday morning for me, 3pm Tuesday arvo for you lot (Graeme & TiB ok with that? )
      • Like Like x 1
    9. anthak
      anthak
      @TerryinBangkok @graeme ?
    10. graeme
      graeme
      Yep, works for me. However, it seems (based on TiBby's post earlier) not to work for him. I am guessing he is working while we have the afternon after morning reflection. I'll try to work around any other suggestion before 5pm Melbourne time (7pm Cows' time, 3am NY time, 2pm Bangkok Time?).
    11. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Midday for me works fine, it is my lunch break.

Based on graeme's comments above I should perhaps clarify my previous post. The suggestion was I would be drowning my sorrows before the weekend in light of the impending flock of nukes from the Grasshoppers.
      • Like Like x 1
    12. snoz
      snoz
      Cheers orffans !!!! Best fantasy keeper leaigue ever. Go Pies !!!
      Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
      • Like Like x 3
    13. anthak
      anthak
      Cheers mate, well done on staying up for this :)
      A few of us are in the chat too ;)
      • Like Like x 1