"Old Man" Whinge Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by JPK, May 12, 2017.

1. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

the only rule there should be in relation to tackling, for my 2 cents, is the old NRL rule of 'lifting' or above the horizontal. Unless youre fair dinkum spearing the blokes head into the ground by picking him up vertically and manipulating him to be upside down, I reckon everything else should be ok (between shoulders and knees).

2. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

agree, hope the AFL is listening

3. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

IMO the issue is that in the past players were taught to tackle around the waist, now they're being taught to pin the arms to prevent the handball. Obviously once his arms are pinned the guy getting tackled can't break his fall. I don't remember many players getting knocked out from being tackled into the ground in the 90s. I think the rule makes sense that if you're gonna pin their arms you can't then drive them into the ground.

• Like Like x 3
  4. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

Gotta say I'm pretty dark that the top 4 sides can't choose their opponents in the first week of the finals. I know this was the original rule but I can't remember voting to change it. Can someone dig up when the change was voted on and made. I don't expect it to change this season as we don't change rules during the season but I do find this very disappointing. Not just because I will probably lose in the first round but I was hoping to have a derby final to create some ORFFU history and to help grow the rivalry. Can we look at reinstating this rule for next year I doubt there'd be any issues with a vote. Salty, salty tears.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

ask and you shall receive! from the poll 2015 Finals Structure

6. eagle_eyed

Thanks mate, I gather it must have been a tie then?

7. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

I think you're selling yourself short mate, the Gropers are a better team than the Smugglers, even with a couple of outs.

I agree with the ability to choose opponents though and would vote for a change in the off-season.

8. eagle_eyed

It'll be close mate but I think it's swung your way a little. Time will tell I guess, its finals and anything can happen.

Go Gropers!

9. eagle_eyed

Thanks mate, memory is not what it used to be, it's probably why I posted in the old man whinge thread ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

a BIG FU to Luke beverage for keeping matty Boyd in the VFL he had best on grounds , then you bring him back for one last game clearly BOG with 33 possessions and 119sc points such experience missed and probably cost your team a finals birth.

• Like Like x 3
  11. eagle_eyed

No perfect storm for the dogs this year. I'm delighted as I'm totally over the medias "fairytale" stories and Vic bias. I really hope Adelaide win just to stick it to them. The leg up they've given to the Sydney sides just shows they're not interested in a national competition, it's all about TV ratings in Vic & NSW. I almost vomited last night when Bruce said Hodge, Ball & Judd are soulmates forever because they were taken 1, 2 & 3 in the draft; they're not even friends FFS.

While I'm ranting how did Buddy's goal get the number 1 play for last week when he clearly ran too far before kicking; they even admitted as much on the AFL website and then said an ump would have to be brave to penalise him as it was spectacular. WTF! Just another example of the bias for the Sydney sides. Betts gave away a soft 50 last week for tackling Mills after he played on before the whistle was blown, same thing happened last night with a Hawthorn player tackling before play on was called with a few minutes to go and no penalty, must have been wearing the right coloured jumper this week.

I'm not a Crows supporter but I have a lot of admiration and respect for them. They've lost Dangerfield, Tippet, Gunston and Davis yet they still come again. Impeccably run club that just keep on finding a way to win and be competitive yet they never get the plaudits the Hawks do. I reckon it's between them and the two AFL love children,Sydney & GWS, for the flag. I really hope they fair and square kick them in the nuts and win it this year; it would be a silver lining after what's been another decidedly average season by my team. Maybe Adelaide could send some heart over west as my club could definitely do with some.....exhale.

• Like Like x 2
  12. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Sunday afternoon mate... I still believe we can win!

13. eagle_eyed

We should win tomorrow with Tex & Talia out but our mates down the road will ruin it for us. Even if we did make it either Sydney in Sydney or Port in Adelaide will probably end our season. Either way we're a soft side with little appetite for the contest and too many passengers.

14. JPK

I don't argue with that assessment - this year especially.
    Melbourne losing definitely helped our cause!

15. eagle_eyed

Win by 4 goals or so and we move down the draft order by one place; at least we play another week I guess.

16. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more mate. Except, I think we can still win without the two bookends - Talia and Tex.

17. insider

Never mistake silence for weakness. No one plans a murder out loud.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. insider

Eerily quiet for some who seemed quite vociferous earlier. Funny how hypocrisy works

19. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Me?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. JPK

Looks like once again the idiots at the AFL have f*cked everyone over with the bullshit byes!

R10 - GCS and Port
    R11 - none
    R12 - Blues, Hawks, Eagles, Dogs
    R13 - Lions, Pies, Dons, GWS, Dees, North
    R14 - Crows, Freo, Cats, Tigers, Saints, Swans

Surely it can't be that hard to move the byes forward by 2 weeks for each club to align with GC and Port and the stupid China experiment. Never mind the fact that this is the AFL (not the CFL), and if these clubs chose to play games elsewhere, then they shouldn't get any special treatment along the way for it.
    Absolutely shits me!

• Like Like x 1