2018 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by JPK, Aug 28, 2017.

1. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Gentlemen,

Welcome to the season 2018 discussion thread (yeah I know, its still only 2017 and the Buffaloes only won the Premiership yesterday, but you can't get an early enough start in this caper!)

Here is the point for all general discussion for season 2018 - we'll have other threads for specific topics as we progress.

As the first point of order, I think its time for me to hand in my keys to the castle. I've done the past two years as commissioner, and have enjoyed them greatly. I'm more than happy to continue if everyone really wants me to, but we did agree in the beginning that each stint would be for two years. I'll let the general 'FU consensus decide if you want me to stay on, or to step aside and give someone new (or old-er than me) a shot in the ivory tower.

Good luck to all in season 2018.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

I'm happy for you to stay in the role if you're happy to do it @JPK

The league has gone from strength to strength the last few seasons under your watch :thumbsu:

• Like Like x 1
  3. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

@JPK didn't you come mid season ;) You've done a great job mate and I second Mick's thoughts.

If I could put something on the table it would be to vote on the top 3 teams being able to chose their opponent in the first round of the finals. Probably wouldn't have made any difference to the final result as the Buffs were clearly the best team over the 3 weeks but it would be just reward for a great season.

Bring on 2018!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

Agree with @eagle_eyed for 1st order of business.

I vote for choose your own adventure / pick your finals opponent for the top 3. Don't know why it was ever changed.

5. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

Agree with above in the absence of a 4 week finals series where the top 4 get a second chance, there needs to be some bonus for those at the pointy end. Choose you own adventure is probably that.

Also I think my nominal 2 year stint on the FU board is up...

6. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

Choose your own adventure has my support.

I also think my time on the Board is up.

7. wrightbrendan

wrightbrendan Well-Known Member

Agree that without a double chance we need to do something for the top teams.

I think the choosing opponent option is the best one but just to throw out an alternative to think about different ideas, what if we were able to create a round across the byes and then have a 4 week finals series? Something like how the scoring is done for Man v Nature and then you have an extra week to get a 4th round of finals and be able to follow the AFL finals structure

8. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

+1 vote for @JPK

As a non finals participant I'll still put my opinion forward and say choose your own adventure sounds good. It probably needs a time limit/deadline on the decision to avoid any hold ups much like we have for drafts.

9. JPK

So, I get to keep the keys? Thanks guys! :D

I also agree with having a choose your own adventure format for the finals. I'd like to see it as the top ranked team picks whoever they want to play, then next best ranked team then picks, and so on - so if the #1 team wanted to take on the #2 team in week 1, they could, and there'd be nothing stopping them.

I'd also like to get a confirmation from everyone for their commitment to ORFFU in 2018.
    Of particular interest is the uneven nature of match updates and weekly reports. Its understandable that some people can't always stay glued to a computer, following matches for live scores, and then posting an update at the end of each day during the weekend - although its nice to see these for each match, no-one is going to get shot for not posting them - however a heads up when entering your team for the week, that you won't be available for match updates, is the polite thing to do.
    There's a few coaches who write detailed match previews and match reports each week. Some write some good reports each week, and unfortunately some don't write any reports at all. I'd like to see the home coach write a match summary each week, please. Its only 5-10 minutes for something basic, and surely everyone can find 5-10 minutes every (approximately) second week for the 8-odd weeks that you're the home side coach (it totals less than 2 hours of the 8,760 you have in a normal calendar year).
    For those that spend much more time than this, writing much more detailed reports, please keep it up, because they're an absolute pleasure to read, and they're part of what makes ORFFU so much fun!

So yeah, scribble below please, that you're committed to ORFFU 2018, and that when it comes your turn to be the home team, you'll write a post-match report.

10. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

I'm in again.
    And I'll fulfill my obligation to ORFFU and post reports/updates every time Banchang is the home team. They won't be as detailed as some, but they'll be there..........unless I've died and gone to heaven....;););)

11. eagle_eyed

Try and stop me from being in! I can't get enough of this game so am happy to post match updates for other sides if they can't get to it. I like writing the reports and have found my format now so they'll continue next season. I did miss two this year and apologised profusely to the two coaches involved.

While we're talking match reports etc. are we just going to reverse this years fixtures for next year? Means we would play each team home and away over two seasons and anyone unfortunate enough to have had two or more home matches in a row this year wouldn't next. Also makes generating the fixture very simple.

12. JPK

I like that suggestion. Simple enough for even @choppers to understand, and yet difficult enough for even me to stuff it up!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. eagle_eyed

As far as match reports go, this one was gold!

@tyze1 eager to read your match report....;)

sorry mate, been away all week for work. Match report... you won, we lost!

14. eagle_eyed

Lol! Leave @choppers alone; we both like to post in the "old man whinge" thread :p

15. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

I'm in for next year too :D most of my reports involved copy-pasting the field and writing a little bit to add. But that seems to work well.

16. wrightbrendan

wrightbrendan Well-Known Member

Definitely in. I enjoy having some fun with the match reports so no dramas here.
    Reverse fixtures sound like a good idea

17. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

Cow Bay will definitely be back for another year

18. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Count me in legends!! As far as match updates go, I can be very bad at this. Post match reports I actually enjoy doing and think I may have only missed one, so not too bad!

We have a great group here with very little issues, keep it up everyone.

+1 for choose your own adventure!

19. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

some of my best worst work, very succinct! however it was the exception I do enjoy a good match report.

The Bulls will be back in 2018 as we attempt to break back in to the 8.

• Like Like x 1
  20. eagle_eyed

Mate, no criticism; I thought it was great! Succinct & to the point :D