Open discussion, followed by vote on any proposed change that has legs for the

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by TerryinBangkok, Aug 29, 2017.

1. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Couple of things would like to put on the table for discussion/consideration.

1. Fixture. (NB: there is a chance the R24 bye may be gone next year). There has been much discussion on this in the past and it raised it's head, slightly, again this year. That is; a finals fixture based on the AFL format (i.e., top 4 get a second chance) which would require one more week to come from somewhere. That week could possibly come from one of the bye rounds which, in itself, requires discussion (since GCS and Port had their own bye round this season, but ORFFA played on regardless - possibly to the detriment of teams with a large GCS or Port listing, or both). So, Fixture Committee, please consider the byes a little more closely and then see if there is a way to squeeze that week for a proper finals series. If I recall correctly, Fitzy had some good suggestions on this.

2. Just a personal view, but suspect there would be heightened interest within ORFFA if we had live scores. Not real live, but posted on matchday once the post-scaley SC scores are up. It seems our great benefactor has the means to do this via software at the end of the round and I wonder if it could be tweaked so that it is at the end of each game? Or perhaps someone has a better suggestion.

Two bahts worth.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Always great to have a conversation on these things nice as early... thanks TiB.

1) I'm happy with the format as it is... final 8 would be great but I'm not a fan of trying to work something out over the bye rounds.

The FIXture committee tried to match teams for Round 9 based on the number of bye players they had to make the impact as even as possible.

2. Good idea, would like it but won't be upset if we don't get it

3. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I think playing over the byes is too hard tbh, as Bandit said I think the Fixture committee did a great job of dealing with the china fiasco, but a three round 18 (16?) team bye is a lot harder when we are also trading the players, delisting and drafting new ones.

I think it was Fitzy, maybe, anyway that's my recollection who suggested all we needed to do was play a double header, the week after the byes would be the most logical, where we could play two opponents in the one weekend. That feels like an elegant solution to me.

Re the live scores, I'd defer to @walesy but I believe the cost to have them available in-house is exorbitant. Progress scores is something I think the FU guys do well, maybe we could look at an approach similar to theirs?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bandit

I don't mind that solution

• Like Like x 1
  5. TerryinBangkok

upload_2017-8-30_11-38-15.jpeg

BTW. I am happy to play the Lefties twice in the double header.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TerryinBangkok

Throw another one in.

I was raised on a diet of Hornsy and you were considered a piece of poo if you even thought about another league. Feeling my way at the time in TIS, I tended to take such stuff seriously. However, once ORFFA was up and running, I tried with some success to encourage new leagues. It was about that time that I noticed ORFFA coaches signing up with other leagues. Shock, horror. What happened to loyalty? Over time I have come to accept that we have a few addicts in our midst and, what the hell, why not.

So, what about a new ORF for season 2018, with a core of ORFFA coaches? Will it fly?

7. Bandit

Not sure I get your drift with this TiB... are you suggesting we have another ORF with a subset of players from here ?

8. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

Happy with the status quo re. Finals and fixturing. Live scores would be cool, but is out of our control.

More forced delists is perhaps my only thing to bring up. I believe it equalizes the competition quicker, but again, I will play within the rules decided upon and just try to beat you all within these rules haha

• Like Like x 2
  9. TerryinBangkok

Two drifts Bandito..........
    1. It is beholding on some of us to take in the broader picture and to contribute towards continual building of, and interest in, Too Serious. Adding more leagues is but one way of doing this.

2. I dipped out :( so am looking at ways of joining more leagues, as other coaches have done, even if it means kicking off a new one, with a subset. Just testing the waters. I can always go and play by myself, or alternatively, get stuffed.

• Like Like x 3
  10. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Two thoughts about the ORFFA Honours Board
    1. Would like to see recognition for the team with the highest weekly score each year.
    2. Do not think the state of origin fixture should be on the honours' board.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bandit

OK, for me, one team is enough... but I think your drifts have merit

12. Bandit

Agree with both... maybe a SOO head to head count though?

13. Len

Personally I think the Honour Board is @anthak 's to run, I have no doubt he would be willing to take on feedback, though am not sure how easy it would be to gather historical data and add it.

14. Len

Re multiple leagues, I'm in 3 and the only issue I've encountered is the need to be very aware of separate team needs when it comes to drafting and trading, and the respective research requirement for each,
    History says you will almost certain be able to take a team up in an existing league, but not sure when they all complete their re-commitment polls. I do think a new league would either require a whole bunch of new blood, or ORFF peeps expressing the desire to expand

• Like Like x 1
  15. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Comments on various suggestions:
    - I don't mind the double header idea so to facilitate a 4 week finals series. Not sure how ts leagues would cope with this.

- would love live scores, appreciate cost issues, can we piggy back onto fan footy? Not familiar with ORFFU setup.

- two ts keepers is enough for me but could be worth a shout/pm to some of the regular blog thread posters to gauge interest

• Like Like x 1
  16. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

My comments in response to some suggestions

- i like the way we play at present, not playing through multi-byes and having 1 game each of the other weeks, leaving 3 weeks for finals.

Related to this, I have suggested a few times over the years that instead of picking opponents in finals, 4th should play team with most pts scored from 5-8th, 3rd 2nd most and so on.

If we really want to move to 4 week finals series, i suggest not replacing coaches who drop out so we can get down to 16 teams. I would hope nobody leaves, but if they do, this should be something we consider again. I did suggest it last time we had some drop out.

- live scores would be great, but im not sure how it could happen...

- im already in 2 ORFF leagues and thats almost more than enough. Ice seen in the ORFFF that some people are less engaged with their "2nd team" and its not ideal for the league to function optimally.

- im not a fan of having more forced delists. I think status quo is fine. We're seeing teams move up and down the ladder already. I like having settled squads and getting to knowwhich players are on what teams.

- highest weekly score on the honour board would be great. Does anybody know the scores from previous seasons? I love what TheTassieHawk has done for the ORFFF, keeping records of top10 high/low scores/margins/aggregates etc. @walesy did suggest once that he may be able to automate it. Have you looked into that @walesy ?

- I personally like SOO on the honour board. I will remove it if thats what everyone wants, but i dont see the harm in having it. An ongoing tally (is that what you meant by headcount @Bandit ) is a good idea too.

Im thinking I should put BOG in grand final too. But i wish i had old records... does anyone else?

• Like Like x 2
  17. TerryinBangkok

Some good suggestions there.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Len

Aye, and the more opinions the better, even if nothing changes we need all voices to be heard

• Like Like x 3
  19. snoz

snoz Moderator

My 2c worth.........

To enable a Finals series ala the AFL - we only need one more round correct ?
    Why don't we play Best 15 from the three bye rounds ? There's the additional game, we can manually score it, and thus go into the finals with Top 4 getting the double chance and the whole series reflecting exactly the AFL Finals Series.

Live scores would be very cool - if fanfooty can do it why now ?

Would def be interested in a new ORF league. Only in this one so could add a secondary squad of insects.

@That KI Guy - noticed on FB that you are on your way to the land of snoz & trump - Welcome !!

• Like Like x 1
  20. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

What a pair!

• Like Like x 1